Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my truck to the dealership saturday for a bumper alignment that I guess was off from factory and when I got out of the truck I smelt gear oil. So naturally I tell them to see what the problem is thinking maybe a seal is bad, and they come back and say I have gear oil sepping out of my top tube:confused: what ever that means. With no questions asked they ordered me a new front diff but I'm concerned why anything in the power train should go out at 35k? The 4x4 has only been engauged on this truck a handful of times in the snow or dirt only and never seen any mud or pulling anyone out in reverse or anything that would warrant this. I changed all my fluids, front diff included at 29k miles with recommended weight mobil 1 and the stock front diff fluid was terrible! but I didnt think a whole lot of it because it was so new and figured it was just break in junk. The stock front diff fluid was metallic in color and stunk terrible... there was also so much metal on the magnet that it was really difficult to get it off I had to work at it awhile. I didnt change my front diff fluid in my 1st gen frontier till 60k and never a problem and my mom put 120k on a explorer front diff with never a change in fluid is this a sign of whats to come? After trying to inspect what the problem was myself by crawling around with my creaper I cannot honestly see where its comming out at but its only throwing it out on the left side of my truck all over my uca and left rim, nothing is slinging right side. I purchased a 09 model to avoid these problems.... And here I thought changing fluids at 30k was over kill, do we have polaris atv diffs in a truck making nearly 400 ft/lbs of torque?:fu:

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Look for a space between the flange where the CV shaft bolts up and the side of the differential housing on the driver side. Look for gear oil leak in the same area.

The hubs do not unlock, so the front diff and front drive shaft spins all the time, even in 2wd.

Gear oil coming out the vent tube probably means you overfilled the diff a little bit. Typically not a problem, just wipe up the excess gear oil.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Look for a space between the flange where the CV shaft bolts up and the side of the differential housing on the driver side. Look for gear oil leak in the same area.

The hubs do not unlock, so the front diff and front drive shaft spins all the time, even in 2wd.

Gear oil coming out the vent tube probably means you overfilled the diff a little bit. Typically not a problem, just wipe up the excess gear oil.
If that's the case then it sounds like the dealer is hungry for work and will just send Nissan the bill.

I had a similar experience years and years ago with my first C5 Z06. Dealer had replaced a leaking driver's side 1/2 shaft seal (common issue) and forgot to put the limited slip additive in with the diff fluid. Well it started chattering like crazy so I took it back. Back then I didn't know as much about cars so I didn't know what was wrong. They replaced the entire differential assembly under warranty.

Knowing what I know now all they had to do was add some of the GM limited slip additive and go drive a few figure 8s in a parking lot!

·
Registered
81 Posts
the diff is just over filled, i changed mine once and started having the same problem, if you put too much in when it heats up it will come out of the diff vent tube, once i drained some out i haven't had the problem since.

Montrose

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even though it waited 5k miles to decide it was over full and to leak out?

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I agree...why would they replace an overfilled diff? Sounds like they ARE just looking for work. You already have the new beefed up front diff. I don't think I'd let them change it.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Even though it waited 5k miles to decide it was over full and to leak out?
Depends on where it is leaking out. If it is leaking from a seal (side seals or pinion seal), you have a problem. If it is just coming out the vent tube, that is not, by itself, an indication of a problem.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is definatly comming from up above the diff and leaking downwards. What should I do, call and talk to the mechanic or just not make an appointment? The part is supposed to be here Wednesday.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
It is definatly comming from up above the diff and leaking downwards. What should I do, call and talk to the mechanic or just not make an appointment? The part is supposed to be here Wednesday.
If this is being done under warranty, I would let them. I would rather have a new diff than a diff with 35k. If they are charging you a bunch of money, I would call a halt. If they are doing it under warranty, I would try to get the old diff back. (they may know it is ok and want to sell it used). I would also mark the old diff so I could tell if they actually installed a new one.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
If this is being done under warranty, I would let them. I would rather have a new diff than a diff with 35k. If they are charging you a bunch of money, I would call a halt. If they are doing it under warranty, I would try to get the old diff back. (they may know it is ok and want to sell it used). I would also mark the old diff so I could tell if they actually installed a new one.
If it's warranty work, the old part(s) have to be sent back. Would be nice though to have a spare!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok guys I done some research and found out its coming out the vent tube that attaches to the air box... that said it seems like maybe I over filled it... not a big problem and I would settle with that but... why did it wait 5k miles to start puking out? The new diff would be replaced with no charge to me but I'm kinda wierd about getting major stuff like that done. I know it was probably installed a little better from factory then a job the dealership would do. I have learned not to trust people when preforming services for you because, they usually don't care about what their doing. I think I will call the service dept. and talk to the mechanic today and see what he thinks, wierd that it took me 20mins on my cell phone on the net and found out that theres probably nothing wrong with it. Shouldn't the professionals know a lil more then to jump to instant conclusions, I never told them it was making a noise and he never asks if I recently had the fluid filled.

BTW: Thanks for all your guys help and sorry I bashed so hard on the T off the gate

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well...new update I decided to re drain and fill the front diff this morning because I didn't believe the technican and the fluid was as metallic silver as a color could be, here are 2 pics of Mobil 1 75w90 fluid that has 5k miles on it that I drained and filled at 30k. I let my buddy whose a toyota tech look at the fluid and he said to definatly let them replace my diff. I also noticed that my windshield washer fluid is leaking from the resivoir. Two spots on my driveway each day from a truck that I'm paying nearly $500 buck a month for? This is unacceptable Ive been to the dealership 8 times with this thing in 7 months and its an hour drive... I put 99k miles on my 1st gen frontier and never visited once... thinking that I shouldn't have traded now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts