Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I got an early Christmas gift in the beginning of december with new rims for my titan. They are KMC XD795 Chrome in a 20x9 and 12mm offset and they have HORRENDOUS PITTING and corrosion taking place and Ive only had them for 1 month! Ive washed my truck about 7x since then. I live in Alberta, Canada so understandably winter conditions with the salt and crap they put on the roads doesn't help but I am not at all impressed with how they have held up. Have any of you other guys had similar problems?

I currently am in talks with KMC to take them back and get a PVD chromed wheel (PVD is like a powder coated which is more resistant) or just black. What are your guys thoughts? Here are a couple of the pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I understand you are disappointed, but general rule of thumb is to NEVER run chrome wheels in winter.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also understand that but they should be able to look good for a couple years not be full of pits in a few weeks. At this rate I would need new rims 3x a year. I just expected better plating quality and for them to have held up better and for the seller to have stressed how badly they pit. I have a 2005 denali with the original chrome 20s and less pits than these have.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
That sucks man, and I definitely agree with you. Still have the factory wheels you could run until spring?

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Take good pictures of the pitting and send them to the distributor you bought them from showing the damage ir KMC themselves. But if they are like my factory the only answer their customer response meaning the distribitors

·
Registered
554 Posts
Same thing happened to me with a set of KMC Diesels on my '05 Titan. I get it that salt will eat at the chrome, but at the same time I don't really see any cars/trucks that come with chrome wheels from the factory pitting like crazy in such a short amount of time. I went back to the place I bought them AND contacted KMC and got absolutely nowhere. They didn't really seem to care too much. So, two lessons learned; 1. don't run chrome wheels anywhere where winter salt is a definite 2. KMC and the tire shop that I got the wheels at will never see another nickel of my $$.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Have you seen the price differance in a brand new OEM rim vs a aftermarket one...thats why. They're made a whole lot better.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ahh, that would explain it then. Are there any aftermarket wheels that are made on par with factory chrome?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I hope I hear something back. The guy emailed me back confirming he got my pictures and the information to contact my seller. Ill follow up again soon. If I don't seem to get anywhere then I may have to resort to the local media to lean on the shop who sold them and that usually gets the job done :) I called another local KMC seller shop and the guy said he would straight up take them back and I could pick new ones before I even told him I didn't buy from him....interesting isn't it! I just lucked out with a great customer service shop where I went *eye-roll* Up where I live there are a lot of trucks and probably 80% of them run black rims...I thought it was a fad and maybe it partly is but at least their rims won't look like ****! Ill keep you guys posted on what happens.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The brine and salt solutions they use these days are extremely abusive to any plated finish, combine that with brake dust which acts in the same manor and it's a recipe for disaster unless you are washing the wheels every few days. However, you are in luck, read the care guide from the link below and you will see the wheels have a 1 year warranty on plated and painted finishes. Wheel Pros is the conglomerate that owns KMC.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wheel-pros-production/pdfs/WheelPros_Care%2BWarranty.pdf

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I personally will never own another chrome kmc wheel again. My chrome began to discolor within 6 months from the day I got them and never seen winter so cheap quality if u ask me. Seems to be the American way these days. Price goes up and quality goes down. All my powder coat is the same way. The other members are right about warranty but I bought mine online and being a 22x12 to remove and ship would be a PITA!!! If u bought em local get em replaced free of charge!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hey guys so here is an update. I talked to Prowheels and they said they will issue a return on them because 1 month is a bit absurd to start pitting. It gets complicated though because wheelpros sold the rims to this supplier in California which the local store that I bought them from originally purchased them from California. Upon further talking with my local store he tells me I would be responsible for shipping them back to the store in California, then they go back to wheelpros. The cost of that is $65 per wheel so $260. Then I would need a new mount and balance so $125. Also they said I would have to wait to issue me my money approx. 3.weeks till wheelpros got the wheels back and money trickled back down the line. Lastly, my local store said it would be a credit towards new wheels from prowheels but I just want my money back and so he is looking to see if he can use it as a credit towards a set for another customer.

With that being said I have a few bones to pick: It would be nice if I can get my money back right away if they can do it. (if they say they can do it but I have to wait then okay Im fine with that but I don't want to pay for the shipping then). Ill pay for the shipping if they can refund me when I give them back. I dont mind taking a 10% loss or w/e. Mind you the total price I payed for the rims was $1950.00. I feel if they say they can only do a credit and that's it period I might have to tell him I will consult with the better business bureau and see what happens then :/ Is that asking too much? Why is nothing ever easy?

I did a lot more reading on aftermarket rims and the headaches not to mention can't find anything else I like so I am left to use my factory chrome 20s which mind you are 6 years old and look better than these 1 month old aftermarkets.

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
That sucks bro! I was in the same boat. I was pissed too! Its BS!!!!! Dont get me started. LOL!! In the end it just wasnt worth the headache and i Just dealt with it. In your case I think you have a reason to be upset. The quality of stuff has REALLY gone down hill. I think its fair for the shop that sold them to you to make it right and not take 400 out of your pocket. If they dont take care of you let me know where you bought em so i never go there. LOL

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cut out the middle men and get directly in contact with wheel pros. Tell them you are having to deal with a reseller with poor customer service that is not willing to handle a valid warranty claim. If they will not directly handle your warranty claim tell them they will be hearing from your lawyer. Prowheels sounds like a low budget outfit, could be a problem for you if they are not an authorized dealer and are just ordering stuff online that people come in asking for.

Alternate solution, you could have Prowheels pay for your wheels to be refinished.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Guys,

Just thought I would update you on the status. After it was all said and done I decided to not go through with returning my wheels. It was just too much of a hassle and cost. Needless to say I will not be buying through that shop again and next time I go rim shopping I am a little bit smarter.

To sum it up: Wheelpros would take the wheels back. My retailer would have to ship them to California to the supplier they got them from and then the supplier back to wheel pros. I was required to pay the shipping from shop to California and tried to get around that but apparantly couldn't for some reason so that would have been roughly $280 for my 4 rims. Then on top of that I would have to wait +4 weeks to see the the refund on my rims. They would not issue a refund at the time of me returning them and paying for shipping. I also figured that my refund money would have been in limbo for along time and then experience problems after the fact; i.e.: refund vs credit. And then in the meantime I would have to get another set of rims.

Overall: I deemed it wasn't worth my time pursuing further and chalk it up to another life lesson. Make sure you do your homework on rims and the quality of finish. If there is one thing I have realized its that the OEM rim finish (be it chrome in this case) holds up a hell of a lot better than aftermarket wheels. Ill keep the rims and try to keep them clean the best I can and in a couple years sell the truck and upgrade to a new T!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts