Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I have a 55 watt light and I put a 100 watt light bulb in it, will I get the 100 watt light output or is there somehow a restriction on there? The way I have it wired up, it runs straight from the relay through the housing and into the bulb.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Electrically speaking, Yes, as long as you are not blowing the fuse.

The only way to know for sure is to amp clamp the feed (or put an ammeter in the circuit temporarily). The only reason that I point this out is that I have no idea what circuit you are talking about, what the bulb socket is rated for, or the ampacity of the wires running to it. If they are too small, they will restrict the current and heat up (just like the bulbs), which is bad.
A 10A fuse was enough for 55W x2, but you need 17A for 100W x2.

EDIT: 14ga. wire is required for 17A, if the truck has 16ga. it is too small and this is not safe.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Good questions.

My Hella 55W driving lights arrived today, which come with the install kit. I am adding a third 55W light to the system, wiring it directly off of the battery as an independent system. Will I need a larger fuse than what I assume is supplied with the kit? Plan on using 16ga wire to add the light to the other two, in parallel.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
54, In General, fuses should be sized to protect the wire attached (not the device so much), so 16ga wire needs a 10A fuse, which is all fine for 55W.
Up to 120W actually.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
MrHunter602 said:
If I have a 55 watt light and I put a 100 watt light bulb in it, will I get the 100 watt light output or is there somehow a restriction on there? The way I have it wired up, it runs straight from the relay through the housing and into the bulb.

Thanks
Oh you'll get the 100W. But will probably end up melting the lense or reflector eventually. 100W bulb burns HOT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts