Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today this is the first time I've noticed this. Tailgate has never been off unless the dealer just did for the tail light recall, which I doubt. Purchased new zero accidents.

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
Today this is the first time I've noticed this. Tailgate has never been off unless the dealer just did for the tail light recall, which I doubt. Purchased new zero accidents.
View attachment 551296

View attachment 551295
They have no reason to remove the gate nor would it change how it would fit if they had. You just never studied the area before.

Clint

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have no reason to remove the gate nor would it change how it would fit if they had. You just never studied the area before.

Clint
For a moment I thought I was driving a Tesla Model 3 😂😂

·
Registered
270 Posts
Are you saying the gap has just opened up, or that you never noticed?

The gaps do appear to be even (parallel) do I don't think anything is crooked or warped. The tailgate is easily removable (procedure in the owner's manual) and the only thing that would position the gate would be the two hinge mounts on either side.

Personally I would try removing and reattaching the gate to see if it is just a bit of 'slop' in the alignment. I would also look to see if there is any adjustment to the hinge mounts to adjust the tailgate side to side. Or, considering it is a 2020, and warrantied ask the dealer to do it the next time there...

I've had worse panel gaps on other vehicles I owned, and considering how much flex is meant to be built into a pickup to handle loads, this doesn't look horrible to me. Check out the YouTube videos of how much a truck bed twists when offroading and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The gaps do appear to be even (parallel) do I don't think anything is crooked or warped. The tailgate is easily removable (procedure in the owner's manual) and the only thing that would position the gate would be the two hinge mounts on either side.

Personally I would try removing and reattaching the gate to see if it is just a bit of 'slop' in the alignment. I would also look to see if there is any adjustment to the hinge mounts to adjust the tailgate side to side. Or, considering it is a 2020, and warrantied ask the dealer to do it the next time there...

I've had worse panel gaps on other vehicles I owned, and considering how much flex is meant to be built into a pickup to handle loads, this doesn't look horrible to me. Check out the YouTube videos of how much a truck bed twists when offroading and you'll see what I mean.
No 😂 I'm just now noticing them. Something is wrong with you if you think they're even.

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts

Or just open it and push it to the right, nothing is there to adjust it is free moving left to right.

Clint

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or just open it and push it to the right, nothing is there to adjust it is free moving left to right.

Clint
I wasnt going to make a big deal of it, im just extremely surprised that something that noticeable could have gone un- noticed for 11 months. This is what's puzzling.
I know a lot of people on the internet like to claim they clean their cars regularly.......but I really do wax my truck regularly and even replaced my reverse lamps twice (trying different LEDs), have custom pinstipes which I considered putting on the back and never saw that. Today while waxing I was like wow!!! there's a gap on the right that doesn't exist on the left. It stood out is my point, why didnt it 11 months ago?

·
Registered
76 Posts
If it took you 11 months to notice it then it's probably not really much of a big deal is it? Especially if it works as intended. Based on the pics it looks to be no more than 1/4 inch delta on either side. Maybe the pics are deceiving?

Also, as mentioned earlier, tailgates tend to have a small amount of side to side movement. Try removing it and reinstalling it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I did not realize I can push it over....that really did work 😅 wow! Thanks

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
When I removed the tailgate on my 17’ a quarter sized shim fell out of the hinge area…

I wondered why it was there and this thread just explained it…

gitbigone go get u a washer and shim that tailgate to perfection….

Dealer will likely scrape all your paint off trying to fix it….

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad it worked. Remember it is a pickup truck - intended to do real work and they need to flex and move a bit. A BMW it is not...
Mine isn't 😂. Towing 2 motorcycles is about it

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
If some of you have not noticed pretty much all Nissan Titan have gaps in the tailgate mine has it on both sides I just look at it as it what it is. And go on about my day nothing is gonna be done about it so whatever.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,471 Posts
mine has a tailgate, i am good. remember when people were stealing tail gates all the time. i took the one off my f150 and put it in the garage during those days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts