Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys I had to. I'm sure this is no real surprise to anyone but while getting my oil changed today I was quoted $129 for the in cabin air filters to be replaced. I promptly denied and said I could handle the job myself. So I go to the parts counter, the filters were $34.XX with tax (and I probably still overpaid). I was asked by the parts guy "You know how these go in right?" I answered, "Not really but I can figure it out, the internet is a great thing." To my surprise there are step by step instructions in the box on how to replace them. It requires a phillips head screwdriver, an 8mm socket, and about 20 minutes of your time. For anyone unsure, do yourself and favor and do this yourself!! That is all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,859 Posts
If you have an O'Rielly's or Autozone near you I get them for about 20 bucks there. Sometimes I have to wait a day to get them from the warehouse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
ricepow said:
Sorry guys I had to. I'm sure this is no real surprise to anyone but while getting my oil changed today I was quoted $129 for the in cabin air filters to be replaced. I promptly denied and said I could handle the job myself. So I go to the parts counter, the filters were $34.XX with tax (and I probably still overpaid). I was asked by the parts guy "You know how these go in right?" I answered, "Not really but I can figure it out, the internet is a great thing." To my surprise there are step by step instructions in the box on how to replace them. It requires a phillips head screwdriver, an 8mm socket, and about 20 minutes of your time. For anyone unsure, do yourself and favor and do this yourself!! That is all.
it is kinda easy, but frustrating at the same time just because you have to get in at such an odd angle to get to the filter housing under the dash. I put one in bout 2 yrs ago (I need to replace it I know - they noted it on the inspection that was done last week when it was in for an oil change) and paid around $20-25 for the filter online somewhere....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
Don't even need the screwdriver. Open the glove box & remove the contents. Unsnap the retracting rope on the right side, then all you have to do is push the bump stops over a little bit and the glove box will swing down and you'll be looking directly at the filter access door...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,528 Posts
DawgBone said:
and you'll be looking directly at the filter access door...
Which has a screw holding it shut....:smoke:

so that screwdriver may come in handy after all :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
Ok, so you don't need the 8mm socket. Haven't done mine in a year and thought I remembered you needing a socket to open the access door. Either way, you're eliminating a tool and half the time needed to finish the job...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,528 Posts
DawgBone said:
Ok, so you don't need the 8mm socket. Haven't done mine in a year and thought I remembered you needing a socket to open the access door. Either way, you're eliminating a tool and half the time needed to finish the job...

I was just busting ballz... :jester:

and I think it is a little socket that is needed not a screwdriver...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Anybody purchased replacement filters from Auto Zone or some other parts store? Looking online they are $31.00 from Auto Zone. I was just wondering is that $31 each or $31 for both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,070 Posts
baseballfanz said:
It's behind the glove box.
There's two locking tabs you have to unlock under the glove box to remove it.
Actually you don't need to pull these pins at all. As another poster stated, just squeeze the two "stop tabs" at the top to the left and the glove box will swing down, revealing the access cover to the filters. Oh yeah...release the elastic cord on the right first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,056 Posts
What is the advantage to replacing these? Seems like a money making scheme to me. Please explain.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,710 Posts
54warrior said:
What is the advantage to replacing these? Seems like a money making scheme to me. Please explain.

Thanks.
It filters the air coming into the cabin that is sucked in from the outside vents. The outside vents being located right by your wipers. Similar to changing the vents for the HVAC system in your home.

Whether or not there is an advantage to them is probably debatable. We change them in our homes to conserve energy. We change them in our vehicles for ???? - filter out a few dust particles?

A money making scheme indeed.

Problem is if you don't change them and they become clogged up, I'm sure your heating and cooling system in the vehicle won't blow as hot or cold as it should.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,635 Posts
Im not sure but I think that since I have the service plan for like 5 years this takes care of that too doesnt it ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
I drive with my windows down most of the time anyway, so that negates a nice clean filter right there. :teethmast
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,070 Posts
killcatzforfun said:
Im not sure but I think that since I have the service plan for like 5 years this takes care of that too doesnt it ?
I don't believe these filters are covered by the extended warranty. In fact, I'm almost certain they aren't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
BobNYC said:
I don't believe these filters are covered by the extended warranty. In fact, I almost certain they aren't.
I could be wrong, but I tend to agree.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
31,154 Posts
DawgBone said:
I could be wrong, but I tend to agree.
You are correct...My bumper to bumper extended warranty does not cover the cabin filters...Considered normal wear and tear....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,635 Posts
not extended warrenty, my service plan.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top