Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a 2004 Titan XE 2wd Extended Cab that doesn't have a tow package on it. I'll be adding the hitch myself (having a local shop add it for me). I'm wondering if I'll have any problems towing a small 16' camper trailer. I'm not sure on the weight on the trailer... though I'd expect it's under the 9500lbs the specs list as the towing capacity.

Input appreciated!

·
Registered
554 Posts
According to a chart I saw, you're tow capacity is actually around 6500 pounds. I guess it depends on what the weight of the camper is. I would think that a 16' footer shouldn't be too heavy though. Check your manual and there is a chart that'll tell you tow capacities, tongue weights, and all that stuff.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You shouldn't have any trouble towing a 16' TT. Dank is correct you only have a 9500 towing capacity if you have BT.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what's "BT"?

the spec chart posted here and by nissan say 9500... is that the right number, or is it 6500 like dank mentioned?

·
Registered
484 Posts
BT = Big Tow or Tow Package depending on the year. A XE without the tow package will only tow about 6500lbs due to tires being the cheapest, the SE without big tow is 7200-7500lbs without the big tow. The only titan capable of the full 9500lbs is the 2wd SE with Big Tow and nothing added into it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahhh. cool deal. thanks for the info!

is it just a tire thing? or is there more too it? hopefully 6500lbs is enough for this camper trailer.

·
Super Moderator
161,047 Posts
The 27 footer I pull is around 7k gross weight, and around 6k with the way I tow it. I can't imagine that a 16 footer should pose you any problems.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The difference between non tow-package vehicles is due to tire size and total weight of vehicles.

·
Registered
493 Posts
i have a 19ft tt, 3750lbs w/ no weight, i cant even feel the damn thing. u wont have any problems, i have xe non-big tow 4x4.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts