Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm wondering why two rim sizes were offered on the titan...17" and 18"?
How do these sizes differ the functionality of the truck?:confused:

I'm finding a very limited amount of tire selection in the 18" category, currently I'm running the REVO II, an O.K tire but not very aggresive and can only handle a max of 40psi....no wonder Titans get such poor mileage when your only supposed to run 35psi.......why can't I run higher pressures if I ran a tire that can handle a higher pressure?(according to the owners manual you should run 35psi):read:

If I switched to 17" rims the selection of tires increases substantially and I could find a much more aggressive tire and run higher tire pressures with a 10ply tire....how would this affect the truck?

My truck is an 04 4x4 crewcab with Bigtow package and 18" rims

Thanks for your suggestions and input

·
Registered
989 Posts
If you don't mind wandering up to a 275/70/18 tire, you will find a bunch of LT, aggressive tires. A 275/70/18 is only slightly larger than the stock 265/70/18 so they should fit on a stock truck.

17" rims allows more sidewall, which allows the tire to soak up more impacts compared to an 18" rim with smaller sidewalls. However, the new trucks only come with 18" rims because the brakes are so large.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I've seen plenty of choices in both wheel sizes.

The 17" only fit '04-'06 I believe as the '07's moved up to a larger rotor and brake combination.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
In the 18's, you might want to consider the Goodyear DuraTrac in the 33.1" LT295/65R18 E. There's a couple of guys on here the seem to really like the DuraTrac.

Load capacity is 3860 lbs. at 80 psi. You would never need that much load capacity on a Titan so probably around 50 psi fully loaded and be matching stock passenger tires' capacity.

For DD, the low 40's with only passengers. I just got them in the 33" LT285/70R17 D's but haven't had them on long enough to give a review, but they handled the curves better at 42 psi than the 35 psi that the tire shop put in.

Btw, I paid about $1158 out the door including sales tax, after a $100 rebate at my local America's Tire/Discount Tire store. This included the mounting, with lifetime balancing and rotations. Les Schwab Tire quoted $1497 and the local Goodyear store quoted $1449 without the LT balancing. Looks like the 18's are roughly $80-$100 a set more. They weigh around 5 lbs. a piece more too. I was looking for a lighter D load rating but the the 18's are still pretty light for an E, at 58 lbs.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
From my experience, tires for 17" rims are always cheaper, always more choices and always perform better for my needs. I had 20's, and dropped to 17's because I needed something more workable. I use my truck out on the farm, towing toys, bucking hay, you name it. 17's > any other size

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies, I think I'll sneak up to 275 70 R18's once I wear out the REVO's (wich won't be long)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts