1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
leaving in 2 weeks, from st. louis MO to silverthorne CO, i have 2 options
1. drive and wheel my toyota FJ
2. drive my titan, tow my jeep

i am a little nervous about towing that far, worried about how the truck will handle the mountains, and nervous about gas milage, i'd be using my 18ft dove tail tandem duel axle with brakes, and a brake controller in the cab. i need all opinions, i dont care if good or bad. also any precautions like oil change before the trip, maybe change the diff. fluid, stuff like that.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
i am a little nervous about towing that far, worried about how the truck will handle the mountains, and nervous about gas milage, i'd be using my 18ft dove tail tandem duel axle with brakes, and a brake controller in the cab. i need all opinions, i dont care if good or bad. also any precautions like oil change before the trip, maybe change the diff. fluid, stuff like that.
See what you made me do...Now I have to ask questions because you didn't share all the Info...
Do you have the Tow package?
How much does the trailer weigh fully loaded?
How many miles on your truck? Has the diff fluid been changed ever?
Have you towed this or anything else with your Titan?

Without all the above info, I'll say this:
Tow in 4th gear,(or 3rd if need be, don't be afraid if you turn 3500-3800 rpm up a good grade, the engine is built to run like that when needed) if you are running a WD hitch make sure it's set up correctly and take your time. Grab the rt lane when needed, and also downshift on the downhill grades as not to burn up the brakes.

·
Premium Member
58,707 Posts
loufish said:
See what you made me do...Now I have to ask questions because you didn't share all the Info...

Tow in 4th gear,(or 3rd if need be, don't be afraid if you turn 3500-3800 rpm up a good grade, the engine is built to run like that when needed) if you are running a WD hitch make sure it's set up correctly and take your time. Grab the rt lane when needed, and also downshift on the downhill grades as not to burn up the brakes.
Great questions and advice.

I say drive the Titan and tow the Jeep. I wouldn't hesitate to make that trip with mine. Even without the BT these trucks pull great and you should still be within the limits.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
loufish said:

tow package-yes
trailer plus jeep-close to 7000 lbs, +all our luggage, wife+2kids
truck has 18,000 miles on it
diff. has never been changed
i tow once a month, my trailer+jeep 250 miles round trip to the trails, but that is all flat driving, no hills or mountains.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I live in Albuquerque and tow my 7000lb travel trailer in the mountains with no problem. Like loufish said tow in 4th and don't be afraid to down shift into 3rd if need be.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i guess since this is my 2 tripto colorado, im just a little nervous about the whole mountain terrain, way different than the flat plains around here, BTW: i just made an app. at the dealer to change the fr/rear diff. fluids, tire rotation and oil change, so she should be good to go

·
Registered
662 Posts
Don't worry about the mountains. We have some on I-40 and I-25 through New Mexico that will take you close to 9000ft elevation. Like I said my Titan pulls through them just fine.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
i just made an app. at the dealer to change the fr/rear diff. fluids, tire rotation and oil change, so she should be good to go
I thinks that's a real good idea. The trick to the mountains is as a posted before, take your time and save the brakes.
If you have a lot of tongue weight, then I'd put anything in the trailer that the weather won't bother, takes some weight off your trucks GVWR.
BTW - Truck/trailer/FJ all red look good.
Enjoy your weekend!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts