Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried finding any opinions on which Gen Titan engine people prefer & why. From what I can tell the 2nd Gen is just an updated Gen 1. Not a true "new" v8. The reason I ask this is that I am in the market for a Titan Crew Cab 4x4. I won't be rock crawling at all or offroading much. Mainly unpaved roads on property, but rarely. I love the 1st Gen body style & know I could find them cheaper but if there was any real advantage to the 2nd Gen, I could go that route too. We have a 2010 Armada & I feel if it had 1 more gear it would get better mpg.
Can you provide some insight good or bad either way?

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,720 Posts
I like the look of both but was wanting to get a first gen till my wife surprised me and get this second gen. The gas mileage is really pretty decent in the second gens where i don't hear first gens getting anything I would be fine driving across the usa with.

If it's going to be a daily driver, I would get the second gen because the gas mileage won't be tearing you up so much

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it would be a daily. Crew Cab bc of 3 kids, 6yr old & twin 2yr old..
Any REAL differences in the 2 engines?

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,720 Posts
Get a second gen. We love ours as a daily. Better gas mileage than all my previous full size trucks and tons of power.

Negatives are parking though. Spots are small and the truck is not

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,586 Posts
Mileage on either gen sucks. IMO the first gen is a much better looking truck. If bells and whistles are important, 2nd gen has the edge. If aftermarket support is needed, there are more options for the first gen. 1st gen engines are pretty bulletproof. Drivetrains and brakes improved after 07. Pick your poison....

Reactions: Bluedevils16

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know our Armada Gen has issues with cracked headers but haven't heard this of the 2nd Gen

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Consider that even at $4 a gallon for gas, it takes a very long time (think 10yrs) to break even on a $10k cost difference in trucks for about 4mpg difference between the two trucks.

You can drive a Gen1 and get 14.5mpg combined city/highway (pretty easily do-able, as I did it for a decade before lifting and going to bigger tires). If you got 18mpg combined in the Gen2, you're going to burn ~202 additional gallons a year in the Gen1. At $2.5 per gallon, that's about $500 a year. At $4, it's roughly $800. Twelve years is a long time to recoup a $10k initial spend. Even if you were able to get 22mpg combined, you're still looking at it taking 7yrs if gas stays at $4 a gallon the whole time to break even. Gas stays at $2.5, and you'll be waiting about 11.5yrs to break even.

Figure the difference in insurance costs and all of a sudden, you may be looking at a whole lot longer to break even despite the gas mileage advantage. Math is your friend. Choose wisely.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like my 1st gen, 2nd gen is super nice tho, tons of torque in the 2nd gen, really wish that there were another gear or two in the 1st gen trans. Other than having to change the starter, I have not had any issues with my 1st gen though. 5.6 is a good engine. Fuel mileage is not super great on either. Im averaging about 13.5mpg in my 1st gen around town, I would think a 2nd gen might get a little better. On highway, got about 19.6mpg which I can't complain with one bit!

·
Registered
689 Posts
MPGs between 5AT 1st Gens and 7AT 2nd Gens are pretty close.
For the first 10 years I had my Titan, with Toyo MTs (4x4 big tow CC) I could regularly get 18mpg on highway, easily.
I now have other things going on bringing my MPGs down a little, but that's another story.
I have not heard of a 7AT Gen2 getting much better MPGs than Gen1's.
Now, the new 9AT Gen2 might be getting a little better MPGs. I have also heard the 9AT is much better shifting than the 7AT, which I absolutely would believe, as I have an Infiniti with the 7AT. The 5AT in my 2007 Titan is a much better transmission in every way.
Additionally, some Gen2 Titans have an engine defect usually affecting cylinder 7, requiring an engine replacement, hopefully whilst still under warranty....keep that in mind.

Personally I prefer the Gen1 Titans, but they are now 6+ years old minimum. In fact, if I wanted a newer truck I wouldn't even consider the Gen2, unless a dealer was giving you an unbeatable deal. I'd wait for the new Tundra in 2022, personally.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Used Titans of all years are too expensive this year. I'll keep my 04 SE KC 4x4 that I bought new, have driven it coast to coast 4 times, yet I still have only 60,000 miles on it. I look at cars and trucks all the time and have seen some nice examples of 2010-2015 with comparably low miles, but the asking prices were approximately (sometimes higher) than I paid for mine at year end 2004 "close out", something like $28,000. Still totally stock, it's been very reliable, never failed me although I've experienced almost every known Titan weakness except for manifold leak. If / When that happens, it's still worth enough to me that I'll be willing to put Cajun pipes on it.

I'm an old fogey who doesn't like (never did) loud exhausts. Titans make a nice sound as heard from the outside, but if I can hear it from the driver's seat, I'm not gonna like it.

Truck also has only its second set of tires, Cooper AT3. Factory set still had good tread at 30K miles, but they were getting old, noisy, and weather checked. I love aggressive looking tires, but, just like exhaust sounds, don't like 'em when they start to whine. The Coopers are just now approaching that point with 30K on them in less than 4 years.

When I got it, I had 4 other cars to choose from, along with 5 bikes - so I had choices. Bikes are still here, but I've pared my 4 wheel fleet down to the Titan and my 2012 G37x, also low mileage at 31K as I write this.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Titan and my 2012 G37x, also low mileage at 31K as I write this.
Cool man, I also have a Titan and a G37x coupe!

I hear ya on the price, I bought my 2007 in 2009, lease return with 22K miles for $22K from the Nissan dealer.
I've seen late-year Titans (that are now six+ years old) also going for high 20's!

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cool man, I also have a Titan and a G37x coupe!

I hear ya on the price, I bought my 2007 in 2009, lease return with 22K miles for $22K from the Nissan dealer.
I've seen late-year Titans (that are now six+ years old) also going for high 20's!
I've met several people who have both. Must be some kind of alignment in the way we see what want to drive. Your Titan purchase looks good. Around that time, I was still looking, it's just what I do, and 2009 was a good year to buy trucks and 2020 / 2021 not even close as good a time. People fleeing from metro areas and paying MSRP+ for just about any truck. I'm already way out past where they're fleeing to.

Bought my Titan new, but got the G37x (short term lease return) with only 6,000 miles and less than 2 years old was about $12,000 less than sticker price was at 0 miles. I love the styling of the Q50, but Infiniti has de-powered and softened them since 2014:
G37 3.7 V6 = 330 HP. Naturally aspirated, VVT heads
Q50 3.0 V6 / turbo = 300 HP, VVT (and VVL, I think) heads and no better fuel mileage.
I absolutely love the Red Sport, but not gonna pay more than $50K for a new "regular" Q50, let alone the additional $20K for the 400 HP Red Sport.

Very similar is my unwillingness to buy a new, $50K+ Titan. I use mine off road, run my vehicles hard, but most important - I maintain them and they don't break.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts