Nissan Titan Forum banner

who wants a 2.5" Y-pipe?

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
or if this is an old wive's tale lingering around from when pressure-reducing glass packs were the rage.
X2 It is NO MYTH!
I think enough people in the Titan community have done the R&D to figure that out...:)

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Yeah buddy! ...I'm ready. I have a fine i have to pay off, $150/month for 6 months. After that it's mod. time! I've got several thing's on my list.
...but yeah. I plan on switch my Y to a FM 2.25". I need some new tires too...LOL

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yeah buddy! I plan on switch my Y to a FM 2.25". I need some new tires too...LOL
Im kinda thinking the same thing. Should i just buy one and take it down to the muffler shop and have them weld it on? Sounds easy enough.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
My apologies to everyone that expected a reasonable response to this thread, only to be ignored. Please be aware that Jeff Barker was moved back into direct sales, and we'll do our best to keep our support of Titan Talk members more active.

I believe that this thread was started because of all the posts related to reduced diameter Y-pipes, and to judge the interest in our revising the product. Seems most everyone wants it. While I could simply have the change made and start selling it, that's not how Gale operates. It wouldn't be right to sell a product without really knowing how that change impacts your vehicle performance. You want the best. We want the best.

So that's where this sits at the moment. We'll fab up the 2.5-inch Y-pipe and do some performance testing to get honest data that demonstrates whether a gain is to be had, or if this is an old wive's tale lingering around from when pressure-reducing glass packs were the rage.

I just need to find a hole in the schedule big enough to make it happen,

Jon Kantola
Business and Engineering Operations
Gale Banks Engineering
Well I have a 2.5" system that was originally Banks MOnster 3". The system is now 2.5" to the ypipe union which is still Banks 3" out to back. See picture here and my truck runs good! So I'd LOVE TO HAVE A 2.5" Yunion!

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks for the update. Keep us posted on the results.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Sound's good! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Im waiting on this myself! I have only had my exhaust a couple of months, so it will kinda suck to be buying another part to make it work like the old Y. I hope its not too expensive. But im hoping it gets made up soon! Thanks Jon for the heads up! :bump:

Happy holidays everyone!
M

·
Registered
69 Posts
In response to the interest expressed by Titan owners for a 2.5" y-pipe, to replace the 3" version offered in our kit, a performance comparison was made on a 2006 Crew Cab XE 2wd w/2.94 gears and 37-in BFG AT's. A RaceLogic VBOX was used to datalog several 0-60 mph runs, pre and post installation of a 2.5" prototype y-pipe. Note that all runs were performed by the same driver, on the same stretch of road, on back-to-back days for consistent ambient conditions. The results are as follows:

3” Y-pipe
Run 1 0-60 MPH: 8.06 sec
Run 2 0-60 MPH: 8.15 sec
Run 3 0-60 MPH: 8.12 sec
AVG: 8.11 sec

Run 1 0-100m: 6.98 sec
Run 2 0-100m: 6.99 sec
Run 3 0-100m: 6.99 sec
AVG: 6.99 sec

2.5” Y-pipe
Run 1 0-60 MPH: 8.10 sec
Run 2 0-60 MPH: 8.06 sec
Run 3 0-60 MPH: 8.16 sec

Run 1 0-100m: 7.01 sec
Run 2 0-100m: 6.97 sec
Run 3 0-100m: 7.13 sec
AVG: 7.04 sec

I've also observed for the last three-four fuel stops, that I'm down about 20-30 miles per tank with the 2.5" y-pipe. I'll be switching back to the 3" in the next couple days to see if the fuel economy improves.

So...there you have it, based on some limited acceleration testing. We would need to have seen a hint of an improvement before revising the kit or committing to more testing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The challenge in validating any one, small product variant is eliminating or controlling every possible source of variation that could influence the data being collected. We tested the same truck, same driver, same course, same ambient (temp, humidity, baro, etc.), with no other vehicle changes.

If the "proof at the track" is two guys racing head-to-head, in different trucks with who knows what combined mods on them (heck, all it would take is a dirty air filter in one), the conclusion that a 1/2" diameter change made a difference is false. If multiple runs were made with the same truck, driven by the same guy, on the same day, with no mod changes other than a y-pipe swap...send me the timing slips and we'll reconsider.

I'm just saying...

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Oh no, I know what your saying, it's the same argument I use when I tell someone not to go by dyno numbers on different days, or track times from different conditions. I'm talking over 1 -2 year span.....Example, one guy (pinoytitan), used to have a 3" Banks, and ran low to mid 14's all year (including Winter), he has the same mods as me. Once he put the Nismo exhaust on, the next he was running low 14's to high 13's, and we are talking over a whole year. Another example, there is a guy who runs with us that has the same mods as me, but he also has Cams and a PGM 90mm TB, with his 3" y-pipe, he consistently about .1-.15 slower in the 1/4 mile then me even with his much more extensive mods (he has a higher trap speed because of his top-end, but my lowend is better). He recently put on an 07 stock exhaust and claims he has gained all his low end torque back...There is only one guy who does well with the 3" Banks y-pipe, Gweasel77....Has 22's and is still only .1-.2 slower then my truck. I'm just saying, their are people who have spent a lot of time and money modifying one of these trucks, and it's agreed upon that 3" is too big, personally I would go with a 2.25 to 3", thats the y-pipe I run, and I have the best low-end torque (and 1/4 miles times) out of any other equally modded Titans....But hell, you guys are the ones making millions a year LOL, not me, so your obviously doing something right...I will say that a Banks sounds awesome

·
Banned
252 Posts
Oh no, I know what your saying, it's the same argument I use when I tell someone not to go by dyno numbers on different days, or track times from different conditions. I'm talking over 1 -2 year span.....Example, one guy (pinoytitan), used to have a 3" Banks, and ran low to mid 14's all year (including Winter), he has the same mods as me. Once he put the Nismo exhaust on, the next he was running low 14's to high 13's, and we are talking over a whole year. Another example, there is a guy who runs with us that has the same mods as me, but he also has Cams and a PGM 90mm TB, with his 3" y-pipe, he consistently about .1-.15 slower in the 1/4 mile then me even with his much more extensive mods (he has a higher trap speed because of his top-end, but my lowend is better). He recently put on an 07 stock exhaust and claims he has gained all his low end torque back...There is only one guy who does well with the 3" Banks y-pipe, Gweasel77....Has 22's and is still only .1-.2 slower then my truck. I'm just saying, their are people who have spent a lot of time and money modifying one of these trucks, and it's agreed upon that 3" is too big, personally I would go with a 2.25 to 3", thats the y-pipe I run, and I have the best low-end torque (and 1/4 miles times) out of any other equally modded Titans....But hell, you guys are the ones making millions a year LOL, not me, so your obviously doing something right...I will say that a Banks sounds awesome
Hey 0-FIVECC I was wanting to know if you are running a Y thats a 2.25 in and 3 out? I also wanted to know how it is working for you Iam planning on building a exhaust and this was one of those parts that I wanted some info on.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
The 2.25 to 3" is perfect IMO. Even toomnymods ran a 2.25 into 3" when he was running 12's (NoS and NA)....My first exhaust set-up was a Zoomers 2" into 3" y-pipe, and even before I got tuned, I would spin really bad and get sideways at the sticky track. It was just a lot of torque and made it inconsistent to get good launches. Now with the 2.25 to 3" I can still spin them, but I can also launch like a mo-fo. You'll look around and see some guys run 2.0 and maybe some high 1.9 60' times at the track...Well my set-up got me a 1.92 60' time, which I think is the best for street tires....1.8's is what the guys with slicks run. I wouldn't even go to a 2.5". Since I am installing Nitrous, I believe the only thing I will change/try is going to a 2.25 b-pipe in stead of the 2" factory b-pipes....These are all just opinions though, I don't want to knock Banks at all. All this has just been my personal experience from the track here in Orlando and what I have seen other guys on the forums running.

·
Registered
222 Posts
In response to the interest expressed by Titan owners for a 2.5" y-pipe, to replace the 3" version offered in our kit, a performance comparison was made on a 2006 Crew Cab XE 2wd w/2.94 gears and 37-in BFG AT's. A RaceLogic VBOX was used to datalog several 0-60 mph runs, pre and post installation of a 2.5" prototype y-pipe. Note that all runs were performed by the same driver, on the same stretch of road, on back-to-back days for consistent ambient conditions. The results are as follows:

3” Y-pipe
Run 1 0-60 MPH: 8.06 sec
Run 2 0-60 MPH: 8.15 sec
Run 3 0-60 MPH: 8.12 sec

Run 1 0-100m: 6.98 sec
Run 2 0-100m: 6.99 sec
Run 3 0-100m: 6.99 sec
AVG: 6.99 sec

2.5” Y-pipe
Run 1 0-60 MPH: 8.10 sec
Run 2 0-60 MPH: 8.06 sec
Run 3 0-60 MPH: 8.16 sec

Run 1 0-100m: 7.01 sec
Run 2 0-100m: 6.97 sec
Run 3 0-100m: 7.13 sec
AVG: 7.04 sec

I've also observed for the last three-four fuel stops, that I'm down about 20-30 miles per tank with the 2.5" y-pipe. I'll be switching back to the 3" in the next couple days to see if the fuel economy improves.

So...there you have it, based on some limited acceleration testing. We would need to have seen a hint of an improvement before revising the kit or committing to more testing.
But your running on 37's How about 33's - 35's ...The bigger tire is heavier so that mass affects numbers. Try a stock T and see what show's up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
But your running on 37's How about 33's - 35's ...The bigger tire is heavier so that mass affects numbers. Try a stock T and see what show's up.

Yep...37's. Just means I keep getting my A** kicked on the street. Embarassing no doubt, but the tires didn't change in the test so didn't impact the 2.5" y-pipe comparison results.

0-FiveCC has a more valid argument, having consistently run with the same guys over 1-2 years. Unfortunately (fortunately???), even with a ton of very expensive and accurate equipment, our test group has a challenge satisfying Gale's expectation for complete data. We spend nearly as much time doing competitive testing, and testing our product, as we invest in design work. Scheduling additional testing on items already on the market is also hard to do, since we're focused on current projects.

One current project that will soon be available for Titan owners is a version of the BanksiQ interface . There will be add-on modules to give owners an on-board dyno, and an injection controller (nitrous, water/methanol, etc.). Look for it this Spring.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts