Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was at the dealer today getting my freebie oil change I was talking to the head tech about the timing advance, he said the he'll do it for free!! on my 08. Well it didnt work said he needs to use the Consult3 the consult2 didnt take.:crying: He said the next time I come for service back he'll do it.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
93,870 Posts
I thought I read in here somewhere that you can't do the 2 degree advance on the 08's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought so too,but the tech said it can be done using the consult3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,386 Posts
It must be done with the Consult 3. It does work.

Best to find the exact instructions on how to do it, and take that with you. It is posted somewhere.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
93,870 Posts
That's good news Ecmeyla
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TitanBlue said:
It must be done with the Consult 3. It does work.

Best to find the exact instructions on how to do it, and take that with you. It is posted somewhere.
the consult2 is a hand held device, the consult3 is on a rollaway, so when I go back he'll do it for me free:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Please post a write up on how the truck performance after the 2 deg timing. Pros and cons thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,386 Posts
9sec95autoTT said:
Please post a write up on how the truck performance after the 2 deg timing. Pros and cons thanks
Previous models posted much more immediate throttle response, 6 HP and 12-15? TQ increase. Still ran on 87 Octane, a few run 89 to be extra safe. No downside, never a single report of problems with this Mod. It is still within Nissan Specs, and does not void warranty. Best bang for the buck on 04-06 models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
anyone know where to find the step by step instructions for the 04-06 models? I tried to search but this did not help me at all.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am really interested do the timing advance on my 08 but there is just not enough info out there right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
Personally, I saw good midrange power out of the 2* advance. It fixes that dip in power where the truck really needs it. I just wish we had better top end after 5k rpm like the Tundras. Oops! Did I say Tundra......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Hey Ecmyela, I hope your mechanic is able to figure it out. I started a thread a few weeks ago, but wasn't able to find anyone who could go through the steps on the Consult 3. Below is what I learned when I worked with the lead mechanic at the dealership. If your guy is able to make it happen, I would really appreciate knowing what steps he goes through.
Thanks,
Okietitan,

FROM Previous Thread:

Yesterday I took my 08 LE 4X4 to the dealership for it's first oil change. While I was there I asked them to do the 2 degree timing advance. The head mechanic was very helpful and very interested since he hadn't had a chance to try this on an 08. I watched over his shoulder while he spend well over an hour trying to make it happen. He, of course, had to use the consult 3. I had the instructions for the consult 2 which did not match the screens for consult 3. He easily got to the timing screens but the consult would not let him advance the timing. It showed timing at 14, but when he tried to move the timing up the "up" arrow was greyed and wouldn't let him. He tried several approaches but was never able to get the timing to advance. He was able to adjust the air intake but we took it back to factory setting after the timing advance failed. Also he was concerned that even if we were able to get Consult 3 to advance the timing, it would not hold since Consult only tests it doesn't actually change the ECU. He thought that even if it did appear to hold, it would quickly default back to the factory settings.
Good news was, he didn't charge me anything for all the experimenting and told me that if I found out a way to actually get into the ECU and permanently change the timing he would love to try it again.
So here are my questions:
1. Has anyone successfully completed the 2 degree timing change on the 08?
2. How did they do it?
3. Did you check back to ensure that the change held and what did you find?

Thanks for any insight you guys might have.
Marc


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
92,554 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
OkieTitan said:
Hey Ecmyela, I hope your mechanic is able to figure it out. I started a thread a few weeks ago, but wasn't able to find anyone who could go through the steps on the Consult 3. Below is what I learned when I worked with the lead mechanic at the dealership. If your guy is able to make it happen, I would really appreciate knowing what steps he goes through.
Thanks,
Okietitan,

FROM Previous Thread:

Yesterday I took my 08 LE 4X4 to the dealership for it's first oil change. While I was there I asked them to do the 2 degree timing advance. The head mechanic was very helpful and very interested since he hadn't had a chance to try this on an 08. I watched over his shoulder while he spend well over an hour trying to make it happen. He, of course, had to use the consult 3. I had the instructions for the consult 2 which did not match the screens for consult 3. He easily got to the timing screens but the consult would not let him advance the timing. It showed timing at 14, but when he tried to move the timing up the "up" arrow was greyed and wouldn't let him. He tried several approaches but was never able to get the timing to advance. He was able to adjust the air intake but we took it back to factory setting after the timing advance failed. Also he was concerned that even if we were able to get Consult 3 to advance the timing, it would not hold since Consult only tests it doesn't actually change the ECU. He thought that even if it did appear to hold, it would quickly default back to the factory settings.
Good news was, he didn't charge me anything for all the experimenting and told me that if I found out a way to actually get into the ECU and permanently change the timing he would love to try it again.
So here are my questions:
1. Has anyone successfully completed the 2 degree timing change on the 08?
2. How did they do it?
3. Did you check back to ensure that the change held and what did you find?

Thanks for any insight you guys might have.
Marc


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I was able to get it to programm, I did mine & 3 others.
Tricky cause our Consult 3 did not have 08 options so i accessed through a
2007 350 z
After consult3 has connected to car :
1. Press Wrench sign upper Right side of screen.
2. Press ECM/Wrench sign just below Large Wrench sign
3. Press Engine / OK
4. Work Support
5. Engine timing at bottom of list
6. Fallow prompts to +2
!!!!!! make sure they actual hit the UP-DATE BUTTON !!!!!!
or it will not save..
Make sure engine is at normal operating temp. & also good to reset
Idle air volume relearn to @ 650 rpm with a/c off & steering wheel straight..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Taz,
Perfect. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Can't wait to get this done on my 08. Will let you know how it goes.
Okietitan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,581 Posts
I have an appointment today to get my Rear Axle Seal Leak fixed. While i'm there i'm going to ask the tech. if he'll do a 2 deg. timing advance & for how much. Anyone know what the going rate is?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,581 Posts
Sweet! I hope i can get mine done for free. Thanx guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
serturbo said:
You must've missed this post.
I had a 06 Titan, but an 08 is differnt
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top