Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a new 2007 Crew cab SE 4x4 2 weeks ago. I hated how the truck sat much lower in the front so I researched all the leveling kits here on the forum. I wound up purchasing the NCD kit off of Ebay for $89 delivered.

I found that with my truck most of the the posts / comments here on the forum where incorrect. A simple grinding of the spring bucket would not once again allow the shock to limit the down travel. Once the 2" leveling kit was installed I would have needed to remove the whole lip on the coil bucket and then some. I probably would of had to take off over a 1/2" of material which definetly would have been not acceptable.

I wound up machining the spacer to .750 thick as anything larger than this would make the UCA's contact the spring bucket even with mild grinding. In order to do this I had to disassemble the struts and add longer studs. Now my truck looks good with a slight forward rake and the UCA's will never contact the spring buckets :)

I think all the company's selling these should let the Customer know that if these are installed their upper control arms are going to be hitting the coil buckets at full droop. If I had to do this over again I most likely would have purchased upper control arms to go with the leveling kit.

Onto the pictures

Here you can see the UCA contacting the spring bucket in 2 places with the 2" lift installed

Closeup

From the bottom....Here you can see I would of had to take the whole lip off as in order for the shock to limit the downtravel the UCA would of had to sit almost an inch LOWER.

Stock Truck

Truck with 2" leveling Kit before Alignment

Truck with 2" leveling Kit after Alignment

Truck with .750 inch spacers.

Mild grinding of the coil bucket which wasn't even remotely close enough

Spacer before

Spacer being machined. I took them down to .750 thick.

Spacer install on Strut Assembly

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
RangerNewbie said:
Did something change between '06 and '07? I have the same NCD spacer and have never had the UCA hit the shock tower? Weird.

I don't believe anything has changed. Even Greg from PRG stated in this forum that any lift over 1.3" in the from will cause the upper control arms to contact the spring buckets at full droop.

Also when I was checking to see how much the UCA's hit you could actually see the coil buckets flex in when the control arms made contact. Look at the pictures of mine where the UCA's contacted the coil buckets and see of yours has some nice gouges in the same place.

Mac

·
Registered
691 Posts
yeah... i will buy longer upper control arms i guess

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
They may have sent you the 2wd kit by mistake.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I would contact PRG, I know you didn't run their kit, but Greg might have some ideas...My 04 spacer was 1.600" for a 2.5" lift, it barely hit the bucket, it looks like your 07 has much more UCA/Bucket contact.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just snapped a pic of the truck with the .750 spacers and posted it. I think the truck looks good as the wheel well space appears even now. With the 2" kit the front had more wheel well space than the back and even though the truck was "leveler" sometimes it just didn't look right to me.

Mac

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Rick Guess said:
yeah... i will buy longer upper control arms i guess
They aren't actually longer, they are just wider so they curve around the coil buckets w/o any interference. The actual pick up points are the same geometry as stock.

·
Registered
718 Posts
In your 'before' picture the truck already looks pretty level to me? In fact, looks exactly like my leveled Titan. Weird.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
cmacclel said:
I believe if you purchased the 1.3" from PRG you would have pretty much the same thing.

Mac
Might be a difference between the 07 and 08 models. But I put the PRG 1.3 on my 08 4x4 and I have no clearance problems.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Bhudda454 said:
Might be a difference between the 07 and 08 models. But I put the PRG 1.3 on my 08 4x4 and I have no clearance problems..

Bhudda454 by me saying the same thing I was refering to my .750 modified spacers woud be similar to PRG's 1.3" Leveling kit.

Mac

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I hear ya, but it still stands. There might be a difference and hence the clearance issues with the parts as ordered.

I know nating....Schlutz .... Hogans Heros

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bhudda454 said:
I hear ya, but it still stands. There might be a difference and hence the clearance issues with the parts as ordered.

I know nating....Schlutz .... Hogans Heros

It is already known that the 1.3" leveling kit is the largest you can go before the UCA contact the coil buckets. Greg form PRG has stated this on the forum. The issue here is the 2" leveling kits. I also state this in the 3rd post of this thread.

Mac

·
Registered
336 Posts
Now I am going to be poking my head in my wheel well. Thanks! Oh and By the way HEY NEIGHBOR... Couldn't help it when I saw the mass plate.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nice lathe and workbench, and nice machining.
You weren't doing some crazy jumps or something? I took my 2.5 NCD kit off a railroad crossing and I barely made contact with the bucket. Strange...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CodeXE said:
Nice lathe and workbench, and nice machining.
You weren't doing some crazy jumps or something? I took my 2.5 NCD kit off a railroad crossing and I barely made contact with the bucket. Strange...

Thanks and as for Off-Roading my truck has not even seen a dirt road. It just turned 1000 miles the other day. Right after installing the 2" leveling kit on my way to get the truck aligned they hit and left some nice gouges. The road I was on was a highway speed road (55mph) and had 4 bridges with some decent dips. On my truck with the leveling kit installed the front end only had to rise 1.5-2" to top out the suspension.

Mac

1 - 20 of 67 Posts