Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone has made their own leveling spacers or has exact dimensions for one of the front spacers. Looks extremely easy if you have access to the necessary tools. I've designed everything in Solidworks using my best measurement skills off of the stock coil-over studs and damper bucket. I've checked fitment with paper drawings out of SW and it looks like my design should fit, hard to say for sure though.

Anyone by chance have a drawing or perhaps know the diameter for the bolt pattern? Knowing this for sure would save me having to waterjet a test piece out of plastic and rechecking before machining the aluminum. At this point i'm thinking it's 6x2.25"

Not trying to take on PRG at all here. I have zero spare cash and can't afford the $170 for the kit. I got the stock laying around and access to mills and lathes and have the training to do the work. Just figure i can make my truck look good while not spending any cash. This is purely for my personal truck, not as a mass produced item.

Thanks. I'm going to email Greg at PRG to see if he's willing to give me a drawing, but thought i'd start here first.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Finished my version of PRG's spacers. Got them installed on my truck. Looks good, though i was expecting to still have some rake. Seems i've gotten 3" of lift from a 2" spacer.

Attached are pictures. If anyone ever decides to make their own spacers, bolt pattern that you need is 6 on 4.52. Before i quoted the radius.

Also modified the design. I didn't want to rely on aluminum threads so instead opted to just cut pockets on the reverse side and recess bolts. These function as studs to attach to the coil bucket.

Anyway, i'm pretty happy with how these turned out. Cost me grand total $66 with hardware and the 6061 stock. Took about 12 hours to manufacture, primarily because i screwed up on one of them and had to come up with a correction that would allow me to salvage my stock. Fun project though.

UPDATE: I machined these down from 2" to 1.2". This was because with 2" spacers, i was getting 3" net of lift. Way to much. As a result, i also just did studs for the coil bucket attachment that were attached to threaded holes in the spacers. I've attached my updated drawing.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Do you have aftermarket UCAs?

Looks like it will be abut 1.3" taller than the 2" that PRG recommends for a '06 4x4 with stock UCA. Cheapest would be to turn your spacers down to 1.2" thick, 1.2 x 1.67 = 2" lift ... because with that height you need longer end links on your swaybar, (PRG makes adjustable height ones). With stock links, the bar turned on mine, but only rubbed on the wheels when I turned into a parking space, but with stock wheels' backspacing, the bar and OEM links can damage them and the tires.

You will also need longer bumpstops with any kit above 1.5".

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I do not have aftermarket UCA's. After i got everything bolted back up, with the suspension at full droop, the UCA was contacting the coil bucket. Resting on the ground, i can wrap my hands around the UCA and run them along between it and the coil bucket. Driving the truck around, i have yet to hear a "thunk" from contact between the UCA and coil bucket.

I'm getting pretty confused when i see 1.5", 2", 2.5" leveling kit. I don't know if it's x" of lift or that the spacer is x" tall or both. I figured it was an equal relationship and assumed the spacer was that tall as well, but makes sense that it isn't since now your Lower A-arm is taking some of that veritcal load that it wasn't prior when it was horizontal. With that, i kept the spacers at 2" based on Greg's recommendation of not exceeding that on a 4wd. Unfortunately, i can't simply face the spacers down as it would leave me with no more bolting surface. I would need to re do a set of holes (either top or bottom mounting) by offsetting them and re-drilling in addition to the facing. Not something i want to do.

I was planning on installing taller bump stops. I haven't noticed any rub on the sway bar. I'll look into the longer links.

If i just knew what the PRG 2" leveling kit spacer height is, that would give me a much better understanding as to what i need to do now or if these spacers are too tall. I should not have assumed that they were actually 2" tall..... dammit.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I do not have aftermarket UCA's. After i got everything bolted back up, with the suspension at full droop, the UCA was contacting the coil bucket. Resting on the ground, i can wrap my hands around the UCA and run them along between it and the coil bucket. Driving the truck around, i have yet to hear a "thunk" from contact between the UCA and coil bucket.

I'm getting pretty confused when i see 1.5", 2", 2.5" leveling kit. I don't know if it's x" of lift or that the spacer is x" tall or both. I figured it was an equal relationship and assumed the spacer was that tall as well, but makes sense that it isn't since now your Lower A-arm is taking some of that veritcal load that it wasn't prior when it was horizontal. With that, i kept the spacers at 2" based on Greg's recommendation of not exceeding that on a 4wd. Unfortunately, i can't simply face the spacers down as it would leave me with no more bolting surface. I would need to re do a set of holes (either top or bottom mounting) by offsetting them and re-drilling in addition to the facing. Not something i want to do.

I was planning on installing taller bump stops. I haven't noticed any rub on the sway bar. I'll look into the longer links.

If i just knew what the PRG 2" leveling kit spacer height is, that would give me a much better understanding as to what i need to do now or if these spacers are too tall. I should not have assumed that they were actually 2" tall..... dammit.
The sway bar won't rub unless it turns, but this will happen suddenly, links go from vertical to horizontal. It can rip up your tire and even the wheel, and if at freeway speeds could be ugly.

The stock ones are fine with the proper leveling spacer height, 2" net lift on an '06 4x4, but I would be concerned with your 3.3" net lift spacer. It happened to me less than a week ago, so I know this is real. I'm lucky that my wheels had an extra inch of clearance.

If you remove the bolts, "studs", and turn the spacers to measure 1.2" thick, then just use bolts thought the top of the coil bucket to secure them, using the old "stud" holes/threads. There isn't much force excreted on them, or the aluminum threads. Studs were dropped a long ago from the PRG spacer design.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, i'm going to get this taken care of asap. Going to take off the spacers before i do much more driving. I would like to know for sure what PRG's 2" spacer height is, that way i know i'm not causing any extra wear and tear on the truck. I'll try and call greg and ask, or if someone could measure there's if someone has some that they haven't installed yet, i don't know.

I think i'm going to just do the threads as well. To much machining time to do the pockets and studs anyway.

Thanks for the help man. Much appreciated! So much for "simple" leveling kit, haha.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think it's cool you made your own spacers. Are you an engineer with too much time???

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think it's cool you made your own spacers. Are you an engineer with too much time???
Haha, you could say that... College student with no money (because it's all invested in the Titan), but spare time and access to a machine shop. I was looking for a project to gain some more experience on the lathe and mill and figured "hey, why not make a leveling kit, looks pretty easy".

I definitely learned a lot on the project.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
You were already given your answer. Reread NorCal 4x4's first post. Suspension travel is through an arc, not straight up and down. Check out a "Mechanics of Materials" class sometime. Could prove useful for you.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You were already given your answer. Reread NorCal 4x4's first post. Suspension travel is through an arc, not straight up and down. Check out a "Mechanics of Materials" class sometime. Could prove useful for you.
Not sure how mechanics of materials would have given me the insight before hand and not made this mistake, but anyway. This is more a question of statics since now the a-arm is providing a vertical support reaction to the weight of the truck and the damper is absorbing less. I just didn't think about this change in geometry when i sized the spacers. Oh well, relatively easy fix.

Before proceeding i would like to confirm what PRG's actual height is. I've got a call and email to greg and hopefully he get's back to me.

Your should try to build one of these if you are bored...
haha, yeah that would be quite the project. Not sure that's something i want to tackle.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool BB, thanks for the useful information. You've been a huge help...

·
Registered
456 Posts
wouldn't it really be calculating a dynamic load traveling across an arc, supported by a static object that is not exaclty proportionate in material thickness as it is to the effective lift created by the spacer?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts