Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to get my first oil change yesterday and upon arriving asked the service guy if they had ever advanced the timing on any Titan's or Armada's. Of course he said no, but seemed opened to my request. He comes back a few minutes later and said his tech didn't give him that "warm/fuzzy" feeling about doing it and that he would have to run it through the service manager, because they were worried about warranty issues. I told him I could pay him cash, no receipt and he hesitated, but insisted on going thru the service mgr. I tried to assure him that there were no warranty "violations", but no luck. To top it off, the kid that was working on my truck (whom I've dealt with before and thought was pretty cool), comes out shaking his head. I believe his words were "man, you can't just go messing around with factory specs". Then, he proceeded to tell me that the timing would only hold at idle and once I accelerated it would retard. Any truth to this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,433 Posts
Something sound retarded:ftard:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,147 Posts
No truth at all, only assumption. Print out the instructions, take them in with you, and tell him that you know of at least 200 Titans and Armadas who did it and LOVE it so please just do it and let you worry about consequences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pops said:
No truth at all, only assumption. Print out the instructions, take them in with you, and tell him that you know of at least 200 Titans and Armadas who did it and LOVE it so please just do it and let you worry about consequences.
I was looking for that link yesterday. Do you have the instructions for an '08? I know it requires the Consult 3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,823 Posts
The timing advances across the whole curve, not just at idle. I ran back to back the same day, with and without the advance, and the advance shaved off 2 tenths each time. I have timeslips to prove this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
You can prove the tech wrong have them do the advance then go back and have to do target to see if it sticks I havent had any problems giving any members the 2* advance. Some dealerships just wont do it and others will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DF6_Titan said:
You can prove the tech wrong have them do the advance then go back and have to do target to see if it sticks I havent had any problems giving any members the 2* advance. Some dealerships just wont do it and others will.
I think it's the fact that I, the consumer, is coming in asking for something to improve my vechicle. I'm not sure if they take it as an insult or what, but everyone of them around here (KY/TN area) are like that. The other thing that sucks is that I have to drive 25 miles to the nearest Nissan Dealer, so it's not like I can stop by on my lunch break...lol. I may have to go back to the place that did the advance on my Maxima, which is about 1hr 20min. Honestly, I didn't see a whole lot of improvement on the Max. Everyone here is raving about it, so I guess I'll give it another shot. I'm hoping with my Magnaflow and AEM I'll see a bit more improvement from the advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,147 Posts
Kabdog said:
.... Honestly, I didn't see a whole lot of improvement on the Max. Everyone here is raving about it, so I guess I'll give it another shot. ....
I think it might have a more noticeable impact on the V8 VK56 than the V6 VK35. I've seen others say the same over on the Murano Forum about it as I searched threads there because I've been considering it for wifey's Murano too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,147 Posts
sudden urge said:
The timing advances across the whole curve, not just at idle. I ran back to back the same day, with and without the advance, and the advance shaved off 2 tenths each time. I have timeslips to prove this.
Do or could you have those Timeslips posted somewhere??? I've been asked and asked if anyone has them and I haven't found any. The info from yours would be GREATLY appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,147 Posts
sudden urge said:
I have about 20 timeslips from 5 trips to the track this summer. Most of them have been posted. This is what I have on the computer right now, the rest of my slips i would have to take pics.
Thanks!!! I'm just looking for the before and after of the 2* Timing Advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,823 Posts
Pops said:
Thanks!!! I'm just looking for the before and after of the 2* Timing Advance.

I'll take a pic of that day when I changed the timing back and forth. The advance really helps through the 330' marker. I remember this day well, it was hot and humid and my times were bad. This was before I added an S&B intake.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,147 Posts
sudden urge said:
I'll take pics of that day when I changed the timing back and forth.
That'd be awesome!!! I'd like to be able to put some of these initial "What does it do" questions to rest quickly w/o having to go through the whole splew each time over on ClubArmada. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Ya so I asked my dealer if they could do it and he was like sure, but we will have to void ur warranty. I was so excited when he said yes!!! but then yea no warranty so I was like nevermind
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,823 Posts
How the hell can it void your warranty when Nissan specs are 15 degrees +- 5 degrees. That person at the dealer is an idiot!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Kabdog said:
I think it's the fact that I, the consumer, is coming in asking for something to improve my vechicle. I'm not sure if they take it as an insult or what, but everyone of them around here (KY/TN area) are like that. The other thing that sucks is that I have to drive 25 miles to the nearest Nissan Dealer, so it's not like I can stop by on my lunch break...lol. I may have to go back to the place that did the advance on my Maxima, which is about 1hr 20min. Honestly, I didn't see a whole lot of improvement on the Max. Everyone here is raving about it, so I guess I'll give it another shot. I'm hoping with my Magnaflow and AEM I'll see a bit more improvement from the advance.
What part of ky/tenn you talking about?,I live in southern kentucky and can have this done at a dealership no problem.If interested let me know.:rockon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
chuck1942501 said:
What part of ky/tenn you talking about?,I live in southern kentucky and can have this done at a dealership no problem.If interested let me know.:rockon

I'm in SW KY, Murray to be exact. Closest dealership is Paris, TN or Paducah, KY. Where you at?
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top