Nissan Titan Forum banner
141 - 160 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,363 Posts
If my truck calls for a reflash then so should all of the same model year. They will stand and argue and most of the time make their viewpoint up as they go along.
In the 80’s I had a new Mustang GT and needed something done and the guy was just flapping his gums and I wasn’t in a good mood and having spent 6 days a week in the gym for years I was a bit imposing you’d say. He said something and as I stepped forward he stepped back until I chased him through the service department and out the back door. I scared the tar out of him, the service director was called out and asked what the problem was and I said he just flat out refuses to listen or acknowledge the customer often knows about cars and I wouldn’t be here for sport, there is something wrong with the car. So he told him he better get it looked at and also better get it repaired. Yes, there was a carburetor issue and they replaced it under warranty. He was very polite every time I came in afterward. I go in and firmly tell them what I want, I don’t ask for them to do me any favors. It’s under warranty, not behaving correctly so fix it.
Many service writers are not mechanics and don’t have a clue about what’s what.

Clint
Correct, but we're talking 2021 and 2020. I don't think I've seen someone with a 2021 outright say that they got the update. If they have, then I completely agree the service advisor needs to either get more information from Nissan or just stop trying to deny a customer service. My point is that if no one has said that their 2021 has received the flash, then it's most likely something with how each MY was coded.

·
Premium Member
4,494 Posts
Correct, but we're talking 2021 and 2020. I don't think I've seen someone with a 2021 outright say that they got the update. If they have, then I completely agree the service advisor needs to either get more information from Nissan or just stop trying to deny a customer service. My point is that if no one has said that their 2021 has received the flash, then it's most likely something with how each MY was coded.
Correct if the 2021 isn’t listed it’s probably already has it in the ecu.

Clint

·
Registered
397 Posts
About the only thing I'll say is that I've bought tuners that were specific for only certain model years even though the next model year was identical to the prior year. A lot of times the coding for these devices use the model year of the vehicle in their firmware or software so trying to update a specific model year with a prior model year's component could throw up error codes. And in all honesty, auto makers rarely pay their coders top dollar. They generally outsource those jobs and pay pennies to the dollar.
This is what I was told by my dealer a couple days ago. They said the coding between the 2yrs is different which is why they wont flash a 21. Service guy said an update for the 21 should be along shortly

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Correct if the 2021 isn’t listed it’s probably already has it in the ecu.

Clint
This is what I was told by my dealer a couple days ago. They said the coding between the 2yrs is different which is why they wont flash a 21. Service guy said an update for the 21 should be along shortly
The way I see it, us 2020 guys drove around for almost a year with the issue not knowing if it was something we'd have to live with. At least the 2021 guys know that Nissan is aware of the issue and that there's more than likely a fix.

I still imagine that Nissan figures the fix affects MPG and are making sure that they don't change anything that would alter the EPA numbers that they submitted, almost like a Volkswagen Diesel-gate-lite scenario.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nissan
Nissan
The way I see it, us 2020 guys drove around for almost a year with the issue not knowing if it was something we'd have to live with. At least the 2021 guys know that Nissan is aware of the issue and that there's more than likely a fix.

I still imagine that Nissan figures the fix affects MPG and are making sure that they don't change anything that would alter the EPA numbers that they submitted, almost like a Volkswagen Diesel-gate-lite scenario.
My dealer told me Nissan is closely tracking the performance of the 9 speed transmission in our Titans because they are getting ready to put in many of the other models in their lineup. They said it was put in the Titan first to test and work out any kinks. They said the Armada and Infiniti QX80 are set to get it in 2022, along with the new Frontier, Pathfinder and 400Z, among others.

For anyone interested in learning more about the new 9 speed transmission being used by Nissan, it’s the Mercedes-Benz 9G-Tronic, which is highly regarded as having solid performance and reliability.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nissan

Nissan

My dealer told me Nissan is closely tracking the performance of the 9 speed transmission in our Titans because they are getting ready to put in many of the other models in their lineup. They said it was put in the Titan first to test and work out any kinks. They said the Armada and Infiniti QX80 are set to get it in 2022, along with the new Frontier, Pathfinder and 400Z, among others.

For anyone interested in learning more about the new 9 speed transmission being used by Nissan, it’s the Mercedes-Benz 9G-Tronic, which is highly regarded as having solid performance and reliability.
Oddly enough the 2021 Frontier got the updated motor and transmission before the updated 2022 complete model change.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Nissan

Nissan

Looks like MB has had it around since 2013. If that’s the case then one would figure they have the kinks worked out by now which is hardly the case with the Titan.

·
Registered
2021 PRO4X
52 Posts
So my transmission is finally settling down at around 2700 miles. Up until this point is was a terrible. I have only had one bad downshift event in the last 200 miles, let's hope this continues to get better. I do look forward to an update once it is out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well the 29' TSB cannot be applied to the 21' so have to wait. Such BS as other day inching into He Depot parking spot it jerked fwd and I hit the parking cement thing in front of handicap parking. I now have a nice dent in bumper. F Me. I can't win.

Sam

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Well the 29' TSB cannot be applied to the 21' so have to wait. Such BS as other day inching into He Depot parking spot it jerked fwd and I hit the parking cement thing in front of handicap parking. I now have a nice dent in bumper. F Me. I can't win.

Sam
What's the year 2029 like? Are we all living in water like that movie Waterworld? 🤪

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hopefully the update will come out for you ‘21 guys soon, I’ve got about 1,200 miles in on my updated trans and it’s made the truck more fun to drive and more predictable, it should have came from the factory like this. And if you’re a ‘20 guy and still haven’t done the update, DO IT you’ll be glad you did.

·
Registered
2020 Titan SL, 1987 Mustang GT vert 5 sp
40 Posts
Hopefully the update will come out for you ‘21 guys soon, I’ve got about 1,200 miles in on my updated trans and it’s made the truck more fun to drive and more predictable, it should have came from the factory like this. And if you’re a ‘20 guy and still haven’t done the update, DO IT you’ll be glad you did.
Good to hear, mine is scheduled for the 8th.

·
Registered
2020 Deep Blue Pearl Titan XD SV (Conv. Pkg, Utility Pkg, Texas Titan)
57 Posts

Sam
Really? I've never once had an issue in a parking lot in my '20, just when trying to go from a rolling stop. Not sure if other people have had issues like that, but there may be something else wrong with your tranny or throttle.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Really? I've never once had an issue in a parking lot in my '20, just when trying to go from a rolling stop. Not sure if other people have had issues like that, but there may be something else wrong with your tranny or throttle.
No its pretty common and one of the most complained about issues on here. The downshift from 2nd to first is so bad it will launch the truck forward and sometime even when in 1st and you come to a stop the truck will still do a little jump after you stop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have that jump in the truck as i come to a stop. In a 2021. feels like the Trans shifts to first after I stop.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No its pretty common and one of the most complained about issues on here. The downshift from 2nd to first is so bad it will launch the truck forward and sometime even when in 1st and you come to a stop the truck will still do a little jump after you stop.
I have that jump in the truck as i come to a stop. In a 2021. feels like the Trans shifts to first after I stop.
I've had the jump happen every once in a while going from highway speeds to a stop, but never when parking. Maybe I'm just lucky, but if you're inching forward in a parking space it shouldn't be in second gear. I've never had it downshift while doing it anyways. Just to be clear, I'm not saying anyone is lying or anything, just wanted to bring up that something else may be wrong.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've had the jump happen every once in a while going from highway speeds to a stop, but never when parking. Maybe I'm just lucky, but if you're inching forward in a parking space it shouldn't be in second gear. I've never had it downshift while doing it anyways. Just to be clear, I'm not saying anyone is lying or anything, just wanted to bring up that something else may be wrong.
Which is why I said that even when you're in first and come to a stop it will still jump some times

·
Registered
57 Posts
Which is why I said that even when you're in first and come to a stop it will still jump some times
I would say the jump I've felt is pretty clearly a hard shift, so I guess Idk how it would do it when it's in first gear coming to a stop. Although, the jump I've felt is more like someone lightly tapped my bumper, not rammed into the back of me, so maybe mine just isn't as bad as other peoples.

Edit: I do think this tranny likes to hang in second gear for a while when it comes to a stop. Then after a few seconds it drops to first and the jump is felt. That's probably part of the reason for the delay from a rolling stop as well.

141 - 160 of 172 Posts