Nissan Titan Forum banner
161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Titan SL, 1987 Mustang GT vert 5 sp
40 Posts
I like your dealer. They put it in writing that customer heard there was a fix. They searched for said fix, found it and applied it. I like that
The service manager originally said he should let the techs do their job, but if you have the TSB # I'll note it.

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,363 Posts
The service manager originally said he should let the techs do their job, but if you have the TSB # I'll note it.
Hopefully the service manager has reason to put this much trust in his techs, otherwise it seems like he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder. I have seen some techs that I wouldn't trust to open a jar of pickles, and I've seen some techs that are like "The Engine Whisperer". Sadly, dealerships don't generally pay their techs enough money so the smart ones tend to leave once they've gained enough experience.

·
Registered
2020 Baja Storm Pro 4X
51 Posts
So my story is a little different that what some have posted. I took mine in and dropped it off on a Sunday a few weeks ago (yes, new dealer I am trying is open on Sunday for light service jobs and dropoffs). I told them exactly what was going on with it and they said they would take a look. I expected they would just flash the new code, but when they checked with Nissan, they wanted to do some testing on it. They decided to drop the pan and check the fluid/valve body. I am not sure what all they did, but Nissan has authorized a valve body replacement. They went ahead and flashed the code, refilled with fresh fluid and ordered the valve body. I am currently waiting for them to call me. It was supposed shipped in to the store a week ago, but I have heard nothing. I will say that this new software has fixed most of my issues. I still feel a slight flare at times, but perhaps that's why they want to replace the valve body. I THINK that mine is a very early 2020 production model as well. I am curious if anyone else has gotten this from their dealers?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
So my story is a little different that what some have posted. I took mine in and dropped it off on a Sunday a few weeks ago (yes, new dealer I am trying is open on Sunday for light service jobs and dropoffs). I told them exactly what was going on with it and they said they would take a look. I expected they would just flash the new code, but when they checked with Nissan, they wanted to do some testing on it. They decided to drop the pan and check the fluid/valve body. I am not sure what all they did, but Nissan has authorized a valve body replacement. They went ahead and flashed the code, refilled with fresh fluid and ordered the valve body. I am currently waiting for them to call me. It was supposed shipped in to the store a week ago, but I have heard nothing. I will say that this new software has fixed most of my issues. I still feel a slight flare at times, but perhaps that's why they want to replace the valve body. I THINK that mine is a very early 2020 production model as well. I am curious if anyone else has gotten this from their dealers?
I have an early 20’ build and still have the occasional flare…even after the update..

Keep us updated if the valve body fixes yours I may press my dealer to do the same…

·
Registered
2020 Deep Blue Pearl Titan XD SV (Conv. Pkg, Utility Pkg, Texas Titan)
57 Posts
Here is the TSB for valve body replacement. It applies to 20-21. Doesn’t mention anywhere what symptoms warrant this fix but if they’re doing valve body replacements then these transmissions are worse off then I thought.

Are you sure that those aren't just updated instructions on how to change it since it doesn't have any diagnosis instructions and says to not follow the service manual instructions, but the ones in the bulletin instead. Also, this was released back in November so I feel that if it was really an issue, we would have heard more about it by now. I could definitely be wrong though, just stating a couple of observations.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Are you sure that those aren't just updated instructions on how to change it since it doesn't have any diagnosis instructions and says to not follow the service manual instructions, but the ones in the bulletin instead. Also, this was released back in November so I feel that if it was really an issue, we would have heard more about it by now. I could definitely be wrong though, just stating a couple of observations.
Not sure but the point is for some reason they’re saying a valve body replacement is the remedy for some sort of issue with these transmissions. Odd there is a software fix for the 20 model only but there is a valve body fix for 20 & 21.
I first heard about it on a FB group and then on here. Same issues reported as the rest of us, hesitation, jerkiness, harsh shifts and when he took it in they came back and said the valve body was being replaced. That sounds like a problem to me.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Not sure but the point is for some reason they’re saying a valve body replacement is the remedy for some sort of issue with these transmissions. Odd there is a software fix for the 20 model only but there is a valve body fix for 20 & 21.
I first heard about it on a FB group and then on here. Same issues reported as the rest of us, hesitation, jerkiness, harsh shifts and when he took it in they came back and said the valve body was being replaced. That sounds like a problem to me.
We will know for sure if the valve body replacement corrects the excess issues some folks are having..

Only complain on mine is the occasional shift flare..

After reviewing the complexity of valve body replacement process…. I find I can live with the the flare for now…

·
Registered
2020 Baja Storm Pro 4X
51 Posts
So, I took mine back in to have the valve body replacement done. I had just gotten back on a pretty long road trip from OK to TN to FL and back to OK. It was still flaring from time to time on the highway. Took them four days for that plus another for a separate issue with the LED lights not working in the bed and the rear overhead cab light not working. Picked it up last night and so far, it feels pretty nice. I looked through that pdf on valve body and it does look scary, but as long as you follow the steps and do it right, it's not that big of a deal. I've installed a shift kit a few times in some Mitsubishi Eclipse transmissions before, so I get it. Just depends on the tech. Hopefully the top man was working on this! lol - I'll report back if anything bad happens.

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,363 Posts
So, I took mine back in to have the valve body replacement done. I had just gotten back on a pretty long road trip from OK to TN to FL and back to OK. It was still flaring from time to time on the highway. Took them four days for that plus another for a separate issue with the LED lights not working in the bed and the rear overhead cab light not working. Picked it up last night and so far, it feels pretty nice. I looked through that pdf on valve body and it does look scary, but as long as you follow the steps and do it right, it's not that big of a deal. I've installed a shift kit a few times in some Mitsubishi Eclipse transmissions before, so I get it. Just depends on the tech. Hopefully the top man was working on this! lol - I'll report back if anything bad happens.
At this rate, I have no problem waiting for the 2020s to get worked on first before the 2021s get touched. :p when they did my 2020, it really smoothed out the shift flares that I'd get. I'm getting them on the 2021 as well.

161 - 172 of 172 Posts