Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a VK56 on craigslist that the seller said went bad due to the cat particulate matter getting sucked back up into the engine, was asking $150 and offer $20 and had a new/used vk56 with 38k miles on it sitting in my garage for $20 bucks! He said that it was still running when it was pulled out but had low oil pressure and was knocking/making a **** ton of noise. First problem was the Fram POS oil filter he was using, take it off and get nasty particle filled oil coming out of one end and nice clean oil coming out of the other, so maybe not such a POS after all.

So I went on to remove the oil pans and found a spun rod bearing, probably due to the clogged oil filter or clogged oil pump from the cat particulate matter. The top end has no signs of this dusty particulate matter and the oil return holes in the block coming down from the top end had nice clean dripping oil.

What are the chances I could replace the bearings/crank/rods or get them resurfaced by my machinest and stick on a new pump and clean everything and have a nice new vk56 engine to mod??

I'll get a few more pics but heres the spun bearing. Its "welded" to the rod side/not the crank side.

·
Premium Member
17,240 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha yeah for reals. At least a transgo shift kit would be nice. I originally bought this engine for the motor mount bracket since I took my motor mount bolt off to gain access to my exhaust manifold, I guess I didn't tighten it enough and it fell out and the engine movement bent my bracket, A new one was $25 from the dealer and I got the whole engine for $20 and the brackets I needed!

I felt bad for the guy though, he told me a brand new engine and labor was about $9k out the door.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been wanting to get their programming for awhile, I emailed them about 2 weeks ago with some questions about my modifications and what they can do for me as far as tuning but never got a response back. But I still think thats the route to go once I get this engine together. I have a buddy of mine that does engine work and said he would port and polish the heads for $100 each, but then I read somewhere on here that the vk heads already flow pretty well and there really is no need for a P&P?

·
Premium Member
17,240 Posts
I've been wanting to get their programming for awhile, I emailed them about 2 weeks ago with some questions about my modifications and what they can do for me as far as tuning but never got a response back. But I still think thats the route to go once I get this engine together. I have a buddy of mine that does engine work and said he would port and polish the heads for $100 each, but then I read somewhere on here that the vk heads already flow pretty well and there really is no need for a P&P?
I think I read somewhere that the heads already outflow the OEM throttle body.

YouTube - Relentless Throttle Body Test!

·
Premium Member
21,727 Posts
Nice find. If I found an entire Titan drive train I would put it under my '91 Ranger. Sleeper truck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts