Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For Titan's not equipped with the Tailgate Cargo Lights that are included in the Utility Bed package, this mod may be of interest. For approximately $20 I installed a set of lights at the rear of my bed which lights up the back of the bed and tailgate area. These lights will function exactly the same as the original cargo light: 1)when opening any of the doors, 2) when pressing the unlock on the keyfob, or 3) when turning on the cargo light via the dash monted switch.

Materials:
2 Ea. - Blazer #C455C, 20-3489 I got mine at PepBoys.
15 ft. - 16 Ga. Wire
4 Ea. - #10-24 Nuts/Bolts
1ft. - Heat Shrink Tubing
1 Can - Duplicolor Spray on Bedliner (not required)
1 - Scotchlok Splice
2 - 1/4" Rubber Grommets
1 Roll - Electrical Tape
10 - Cable Ties

Tools:
1 - 1 1/8" Hole Saw
1 - Drill
1 - Wire Stripper/Cutter
1 - #2 Phillips Screwdriver
1 - Small Pair of Pliers
1 - Soldering Gun
1 - "Scotchlok" Splice
1 - Drill Bit assortment

Installation Time:
1.5 Hours +/- depending on experience with electrical systems. Took me longer cause I was "winging" it. Hopefullly these instructions will help others.

Difficulty:
2 of 5. It's not an easy task taking the drill and hole saw to your precious truck!! Just be careful when cutting/splicing into the factory wires and you should have no problems.

Notes:
-It's not necessary to coat the outside chrome finish with bed liner. I did so to clean up the looks and get rid of the chincy chrome finish.
-I did not disconnect the battery during the install, nor did I pull the 10A fuse located in the fuse panel on the passenger side dash. This did not present any problems during the installation.

1. Remove Left and Right Taillights
2. Remove the "Kick Panel" from Passenger Side Rear Door Area. Lift upward on the front most portion, then slide forward and it comes right off.
3. Locate the LIGHT GREEN wire that is contained within the protective outer wrapping beneath the kick panel.
4. Run a wire (your choice of color) from the Passenger Side Taillight down through the bed, along the frame rail to an area just below where the LIGHT GREEN wire is located on the rocker panel. I used a BLACK wire because that is all I had. Typically, a RED or WHITE wire should be used. Secure with cable ties.
5. Drill two 5/16" holes to accommodate the 1/4" rubber grommets. One hole down through the top of the rocker panel, and one up through from the bottom.
6. Place 1/4" Rubber Grommets in the holes that were drilled in step 5.
7. Thread wire through the two rubber grommets. I used a wire coat hanger for assistance.
8. Using the Scotchlok splice, splice the newly ran wire into the existing LIGHT GREEN wire. Protect connection with electrical tape. Some might suggest cutting/splicing into the wire, or even soldering the connection. Fortunately, I had luck using the splice.
9. Using the 1 1/8" Hole saw, locate area on bed to drill hole for new lights. Drill holes in both Driver Side and Pass. Side Bed areas.
10. Prior to installing the new light housings, the tailgate cables need to bent inward slightly to avoid contacting the newly installed lights when the tailgate is closed. This will prevent cables from crushing the light housings.
11. You can now place lights into the bedside. Using existing holes in the light housing, locate where your mounting holes need to go and drill those holes.
12. Fasten light housing's using the #10-24 Bolts/Nuts, light housing might need reemed for clearance.
13. Run a wire across the back of the bed from one light housing to the other. Secure with cable ties.
14. Wire lights as shown in the attached schematic. I chose to solder all of these connections. Note that a short "jumper" might be required to connect the ground wire from the new lights to the BLACK ground wire for the brake lights depending on where you tie in at.
15. Enjoy.

:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few more pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
Thats a great idea!
Thanks for the write up, very clear.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Great Writeup 54, looks sharp.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
I hope to see it soon. looks good! :)

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest, these help if you're working on something on the tailgate, but don't do much as far as shining light into the bed itself.

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
Sweet Idea that I forgot about until I was rummaging through a GI Joe's store that's liquidating and scored these lights for under 2 bucks!!

Added a small drainage hole at the bottom in case moisture does make it inside the lens:

Slightly different location for the hole leaving the cab, only one grommet was needed and routing the wire through was a cinch:

Completed circuit, identical to 54warrior's:

I plan on installing the other side later, the sun came out and I decided that washing the Titan would be more productive...:teethmast

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Yeah I noticed to the lgihts don't really do much except light up the tailgate, but great write up! very detailed :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Actually white neons (used for an "undercar kit") mounted under the lips of the upper bed sides make EXCELENT light source if you use the bed of your truck a lot. Nice even light flow.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually white neons (used for an "undercar kit") mounted under the lips of the upper bed sides make EXCELENT light source if you use the bed of your truck a lot. Nice even light flow.

That's a great idea... as you said, the smaller lights don't really do much for the bed itself, but if you are working on something that's resting on the tailgate, they are great.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Thanks. Yeah I'm actually about to add some red neons in the cargo area of my bronco after I bulid a 'built in' tool/cargo box. Then thinking of getting a white neon tube (12'') long with about 4' of cable to use as a light stick. It's on my list of plans, just need time!

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
..also, sorry 54 I feel like I'm jacking your thread lol so I'll delete if needed.

But one more thing I I dunno if anyone thought of/done is on my Titan, the bed cargo box (driver side, behind rear wheel) I installed two 12'' red neon tubes. One to light up the upper shelf, the 2nd to lower the bottom shelf. Wired up to a push button switch. That way when the cargo door is open, the neons turn on. When closed, lights automaticly turn off. Unfortantly I forgot to seal the holes which the neon wires run out of tap into the power wire, last summer we got a HUGE rain storm, flash flooded (very very rare in CO) and I was driving the Titan through it. Water up to the door molding so unfortantly it flooded the inside box and fried the circuit board :(

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Awsome, I really need to do this. It looks fairly easy and cheap to do. I also need to do the rear axle vent mod! HAHA I see everybody else has it done in their "behind the tailight" pics. And since I do enjoy some deep water every now and then I really need to before I fill up my rear axle with water!

·
Registered
81 Posts
What is that filter i see in the fender behind the light? I have nere seen that before.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
253 Posts
My cargo light mod

Attachments

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My cargo light mod

I like yours better. Mine aren't the brightest and are really not that effective, they only help if you have something on the tailgate.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts