Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I've got a totaly stock 08 4x4 le. I like the stock 20" wheels,but would like to upgrade to an agressive tire. I will be adding a leveling kit in the next few weeks,but that is all i have planned for the suspension for now. I would like some opinions and recomendations on brands,sizes,etc. Thanks in advance!:)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Nitto Terra Grappler 325/60/20.. Got my eye on these. Wish Toyo made the Open Country in a 20". I like those a bit more.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Toyo does make the open country in 20". You can get a 305/50-20 or a 305/55-20. And both are cheaper than the grapplers from www.tires-easy.com

·
Registered
315 Posts
The above were the all terrain toyos, they also have a mud terrain 33" for 20" wheels.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've Got Some Toyo Open Country's In 35x12.50 I Like Them Little Bit Of Road Noise But It Is A M/t So Kinda Expected But Not Too Loud.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
GrayB83 said:
Toyo does make the open country in 20". You can get a 305/50-20 or a 305/55-20. And both are cheaper than the grapplers from www.tires-easy.com

Well Darnnit..... That is what I get for listening to my "tireguy". I bet he can get them, he will just have to call around. I get all of mine from the same guy, same Discount Tire. Saves headaches when time for help.

·
Registered
194 Posts
you can get pretty much get any tire you want in 20" now. check out all of them. BGF all terrain and M/T. Toyo makes the open country all terrain like everyone is saying although i would not recommend that tire for any sort of mud check out their M/T great ridding very nice tire. also kuhmo (excuse the spelling) makes a M/T that only comes in 20" +.

·
Registered
5 Posts
stressfulcar said:
Hi guys. I've got a totaly stock 08 4x4 le. I like the stock 20" wheels,but would like to upgrade to an agressive tire. I will be adding a leveling kit in the next few weeks,but that is all i have planned for the suspension for now. I would like some opinions and recomendations on brands,sizes,etc. Thanks in advance!:)
Best take a look at the amount of clearence you have in your wheel wells if you anticipate ever needing to use tire chains. If you leave the asphalt to go to the mountains in the fall, winter, or spring you better have at least one set of tire chains as standard equipment.

I felt like an idiot when I discovered my 20 inch tires don't allow enough clearence in the wheel wells for tire chains.

If you don't want to get stuck and stranded in the backcountry I recommend you consider tires that will allow you to use chains as your first selection criteria. Chains can provide a larger safety margin that than any of the differences between good truck tires.

Also, generally speaking, the larger the tire the more expensive the tire chain.

Also keep in mind that wide tires are actually a disadvantage in snow and mud. In snow and mud on a mountain road you do not want your tires to float -- you want your tires to bite into the solid road surface under the snow and mud.

Sorry for the pontificating, but when you select your new tires consider if your first priority is returning home safely or if you just want to look cool cruising on asphalt.

I'm saddened to discover that the primary purpose of 20 inch tires on Titans appears to be looking cool rather than safe travel on mountain roads.:deathsent

I'd value the input of anyone who has solved the tire chain clearence dilema on their Titan. Is changing to a smaller tire a good solution?

·
Registered
235 Posts
33.1250.20 or 305.55.20 would be great sizes. Terragrapplers are awesome. also look at the Cooper LTZ Its a 10ply if your going to tow anything and it has a 520 treadware. ... not to mention it usually very well priced online.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I run Sumitomo's 285/60. They are listed as a performance tire but have such an aggressive tread pattern that they actually have a M+S rating. VERY low road noise, great wet handling. Not too pricey either. A friend at work said that they were basically Perelli's(made by the same people) but I don't know how knowledgable he actually is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts