Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
long story short, I bought a used 2004 SE, crew cab 4wd with a lot of miles: 250K

I knew this was going to be a truck that needed some attention, and after getting it inspected I felt that I knew what I was in for.

It had the header / exhaust manifolds issue and I ended up doing a "california mod" where I just put some JBA Shorty's Headers welded onto the OEM manifolds, and replaced both Cats while I was at it. Also threw in some new urethane motor mounts, and OEM gaskets. Now I felt this was the major chunk of change paid for buying such a high milage beast - nope.

Yesterday my trans starts slipping around 40 mph...feels like it went into neutral, then would pop back in, etc. I stopped, then tried to see if it would get into gear... ended up catching first gear around 4000 RPMs the CEL comes on, I pull over and get this rig towed home.

Pulled out the code readers and got a P1762.

Google'd and called around some shops and it sounds like it could be fixed by swapping out a solenoid or ?

I am a first time titan owner, with some minor league garage experience under my belt - but transmissions are a whole nother animal for me.

Let me know if you have dealt with this, please.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bumping as I am hoping someone has seen this code before - I have searched and noticed the P1764 seems to be the common code...

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I thought I answered your post already, but it's nowhere to be found. Check your trans fluid for antifreeze. Sounds like you have a crack in the trans cooler segment going through the lower radiator tank, contaminating your trans fluid, causing slippage. Of course, with the miles, maybe you just have an age issue. Potentially looking at a new trans (or a used/rebuilt one, take your pick) if you can't get it sorted out.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. I’ve checked the fluid and don’t see any antifreeze.

I’m at the point where I will get it towed to a shop... I’m limited as I don’t have my own garage.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hoped it could be fixed with new solenoids but when looking at the transmission fluid, there were metal shavings... also there was a burnt smell. Seems the entire transmission is shot and will need to be replaced. Anyone have any input...? 😑

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Before I dropped $4k or more on a replacement trans, I'd sure consider a second opinion on new solenoids. Seems like a set isn't but a couple hundred bucks, and install won't be much because the trans can stay in the truck. Refill it with Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic (compatible with Matic-J and -S) and see what happens. If you only get 1000mi out of it, you're out a few hundred bucks. But if it runs another 25k or more, money well spent.

For reference, we changed out my son's trans fluid on a 2000 F150 last weekend. Good amount of metal shavings in the pan around the magnet. Fluid wasnt burnt but was definitely old and discolored. Had started to clunk a little at stops, like a hard downshift. Trans purrs like a kitten now. Easy good for another 60k. Obviously different than your situation, but don't let some metal and burnt smell totally stop you from fixing it. Worth investigating IMO.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before I dropped $4k or more on a replacement trans, I'd sure consider a second opinion on new solenoids. Seems like a set isn't but a couple hundred bucks, and install won't be much because the trans can stay in the truck. Refill it with Valvoline MaxLofe Sybthetic (compatible with Matic-J and -S) and see what happens. If you only get 1000mi out of it, you're out a few hundred bucks. But if it runs another 25k or more, money well spent.

For reference, we changed out my son's trans fluid on a 2000 F150 last weekend. Good amount of metal shavings in the pan around the magnet. Fluid wasnt burnt but was definitely old and discolored. Had started to clunk a little at stops, like a hard downshift. Trans purrs like a kitten now. Easy good for another 60k. Obviously different than your situation, but don't let some metal and burnt smell totally stop you from fixing it. Worth investigating IMO.
Thanks! Funny - this is exactly what my m friend recommended - I called the shop and asked them to install the new solenoids and flush / top off the trans fluid. Will post an update soon

🤞

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before I dropped $4k or more on a replacement trans, I'd sure consider a second opinion on new solenoids. Seems like a set isn't but a couple hundred bucks, and install won't be much because the trans can stay in the truck. Refill it with Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic (compatible with Matic-J and -S) and see what happens. If you only get 1000mi out of it, you're out a few hundred bucks. But if it runs another 25k or more, money well spent.

Same issues after replacing all 7 solenoids, fush, new oil, etc. Here is a pic of the valve body.

You can see the metal shavings in the bottom right...

Now looking for a replacement trans - get at me if you know of something worth investing in.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same issues after replacing all 7 solenoids, fush, new oil, etc. Here is a pic of the valve body.

View attachment 543503

You can see the metal shavings in the bottom right...

Now looking for a replacement trans - get at me if you know of something worth investing in.
found a local salvage yard that has a replacement trans - 6 month warranty - for a great price. Fingers crossed 🤞

will be checking it out today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts