Nissan Titan Forum banner

2004 F150 Questions

727 views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  loufish 
#1 ·
My father inlaw is looking at a 2004 Crewcab F150 Lariot Edition. Yeah yeah - it's not a Titan but those used up here are FEW AND FAR BETWEEN.

Anyway, I'd like to ask you guys what questions you may ask on an F150 of that year? It has 48k miles and a 'howl' in the rear pumpkin. He wants 15,500 for it. I'm thinking that it's a pretty good deal...

#2 ·
anmut said:
My father inlaw is looking at a 2004 Crewcab F150 Lariot Edition. Yeah yeah - it's not a Titan but those used up here are FEW AND FAR BETWEEN.

Anyway, I'd like to ask you guys what questions you may ask on an F150 of that year? It has 48k miles and a 'howl' in the rear pumpkin. He wants 15,500 for it. I'm thinking that it's a pretty good deal...
That howl in the rear end will only get worse. Fords are notorious for that noise. The rear end will fail sooner or later...and probably sooner than later. As for price...It all depends on options. If it is a 2wd extended cab, It is probably not a great bargain. Best of luck!:D

#3 ·
4wd Crew Cab. That's what I thought about the howling, that it was the rear end failing. Anyone else?

#4 ·
Why is this in "Titan General Discussion"????

#5 ·
bbomar said:
Why is this in "Titan General Discussion"????
Because we all know if you own a Titan you're the smartest fella on the block. Therefor why not ask the smartest fellas about what they might know about another brand of truck.

#6 ·
Not a bad deal but expect to sink some money in that rear end. Tell your father-n-law to work the price down more. Say $13k and make up all kinds of excuses.

#7 ·
That's what I was thinking.

#8 ·
Just to give you an idea... I just did a lease return on an F150. The nissan dealer I bought my truck from asked to see what they could give me on trade-in. They did a wholesale appraisal of $18,700. My F150 was a 2006 4 door 4wd xlt with 37,000 miles. All the XLT options, no problems with anything.

#10 ·
Try and get him to find a used titan. I had a used 04 f-250 4x4 cc superduty, gas 5.4 lol. Well It only had around 55k miles or so when I bought it and when I hit around 75k or so I could hold on and press cruise on the steering wheel and it would honk the horn?? elect prob? Also when id hit the rear dome light. left or right one.it would blow a fuse and make the radio and wht not go off.windows to. and tranny was starting to slip.Thats when I got a titan:)

#11 ·
Dom249 said:
Try and get him to find a used titan. I had a used 04 f-250 4x4 cc superduty, gas 5.4 lol. Well It only had around 55k miles or so when I bought it and when I hit around 75k or so I could hold on and press cruise on the steering wheel and it would honk the horn?? elect prob? Also when id hit the rear dome light. left or right one.it would blow a fuse and make the radio and wht not go off.windows to. and tranny was starting to slip.Thats when I got a titan:)
WOW - that's some impressive ford quality! He really loves my truck but the price tag on a new one is way too much. There aren't any used for sale around here right now. I saw one on the side of the road a couple months ago but it was gone in a week.

#12 ·
One other thing with Fords - they use cheap tie rod ends. They get a few miles on them and then take a 'set', causing the truck to want to wander all over the road. If you have squishy tires (not stiff LT rubber) on it, they will mask the problem; that is, until you get some speed going on a rough road and find you have problems keeping it going straight. If they are the originals or were replaced with the Motorcraft parts, deduct the price for a new set of TRW tie rod ends and a full alignment. Check by turning the steering wheel lock to lock while it's parked and idling. Any little squeak from anywhere means it needs them replaced.

That kind of axle noise on a truck with only 48K on it has me concerned, also.

#13 ·
f-150 are good trucks my friend has an 06' FX-4 off road and he loves it so if the guy wants a Ford let him get one not everyone can be as cool as us haha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#14 ·
Well it must have been a steal - he called the guy the next day and it was already sold. On the market for about 24 hours... Oh well now he can get a real truck. :)

#15 ·
f-150 are good trucks my friend has an 06' FX-4 off road and he loves it so if the guy wants a Ford let him get one not everyone can be as cool as us haha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The F-150 is a real good truck, if that's what he want's then he should buy one...As for the Ford w/the electrical gremlins, yeah one truck has these problems and therefore " don't buy a Ford..." ALL trucks have a couple of complete lemons, it doesn't mean they're bad trucks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.