Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. So, I drove home today with no problem. Went out to move my Titan and the thing would not start; battery was dead. I checked it out and the posts needed a good cleaning (positive post was foamed up hardcore). I scrubbed them down and tried to start up again. Nothing. Decided to try and jump start it from my wife's RAV4; dome light and all electricals inside come on but when key is engaged all the way to start, horrible clicking sound and all lights fade out.

Gonna try to clean everything more thoroughly in the daylight tomorrow and try again but I am wondering if there is some sort of reset button I am missing that I need to engage?

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Your battery is dead!!

Replace asap...

Same thing happend to me!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah...they don't last forever. Same thing happened with my Dad's '04...though he'd noticed a difference in starting the truck prior to it being totally dead (longer start period, different sound, etc.) so it wasn't a complete surprise.

bbomar - great avatar! is that at your house? :D

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Yeah...they don't last forever. Same thing happened with my Dad's '04...though he'd noticed a difference in starting the truck prior to it being totally dead (longer start period, different sound, etc.) so it wasn't a complete surprise.

bbomar - great avatar! is that at your house? :D
Do you see a Titan in that pic?? :rofl:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same thing happened to me just today. I parked it, left my doors open for maybe 3 minutes, tried to start it again... and nothing. I was able to get it jump started - enough to go to town and get a new battery. 4+ years is pretty good for a pickup battery, especially if you've got the LE package like me with nav, speakers, DVD, etc.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
yeah, mine actually gave me a little warning(a little more crank time). so i bought an optima redtop, 34R.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
yeah, mine actually gave me a little warning(a little more crank time). so i bought an optima redtop, 34R.
Ditto. I got tired of cleaning all the crud off of the posts.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i heard something that bats normally last only 3 years is that true?

·
Registered
3 Posts
realize that those batteries are at least 1 year old when you drive them off the lot. Also i have noticed that the (lemon) batteries are becoming more and more common. This isn't really a big deal. Just go out to the lot you bought it at and replace it for another after hours. HAHA

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have run into this similar situation tonight. It's really weird though. If my battery was totally dead, wouldn't my door locks, key in ignition with door open chime, key less entry, windshield wipers and other misc electrical components work? I would think that they wouldn't? But they do. I think the Titan is possessed. But the power surges only come in spells. I can open the door and the dome and map lights come on. I stick the key in the ignition, turn to accessory and then try to crank, and it's like someone disconnected the hot side of the battery and I get this awful clicking noise coming from around the area of the dash speaker on the drivers side. Guess I'll be dumping some money on a new battery tomorrow in hopes this will solve my situation.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i heard something that bats normally last only 3 years is that true?
I bought my Titan in Dec of 2003. I still have the original battery in it.

Ok....I just jinxed myself.

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
I bought my Titan in Dec of 2003. I still have the original battery in it.

Ok....I just jinxed myself.
Me too! (x2) I picked up a 1 watt solar trickle charger and at the end of the day at work, she fires right up as if the battery is new.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I have run into this similar situation tonight. It's really weird though. If my battery was totally dead, wouldn't my door locks, key in ignition with door open chime, key less entry, windshield wipers and other misc electrical components work? I would think that they wouldn't? But they do. ....
The battery voltage and current capacity are down too far to start the heavy current draw of a starter, but can still power lighter loads like locks.

Amperage (also called Current) needed to start an engine, is hundreds times more than what the locks need. High Amperage draw or load, causes the battery voltage to drop suddenly and fail to turn the starter over. A weak battery is just like having a small engine with plenty of RPM's like your V8 has, but it doesn't have the power (Amperage) to do the same job.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nissan has terrible batteries. I have two titans that have both gone through 3 batteries each before warranty wore out and I went to interstate. I'm not too sure why but it seems no matter how many times I clean and re-clean the posts they are always corroded. Since the interstate batteries, knock on wood, no problems yet!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts