Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
New to me Titan owner. I have not had any issues with it til the use of 4wd. It shifted into it without issue, but now will not shift out into 2wd. It flashes the front tires and tranny on the diagram, and after some driving the 4wd light starts flashing while in 2wd. I have tried all the tricks I can find to get it out of 4wd. Sudden acceleration, neutral rolling, rolling, stationary, turning sharply, reversing, etc. I will mention I hear a click when turning the switch to 4wd. But I do not hear a click when turning back to 2wd. Any help on where to start diagnosing what is wrong? I have been searching the forums without finding what I am looking for. Thanks for any knowledge you are willing to pass along!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey,

I just resolved a similar issue. Apparently there is a sensor (ABS maybe) in the back end that runs across the two rear tires. If this sensor goes bad, the 4x4 will have issues. It will either not engage at all, or engage, then not disengage. If this is the issue it has nothing to do with 4x4, but with the sensor itself. My mechanic said this happens to all imports, and is a some sort of safety feature. Replace that sensor and you'll be back in the game.

Oh, and if you're seeing the 4wd light and have shifted back to 2wd, even though you see the flashing tires (thinking you're still in 4wd), you're most likely back in 2wd.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply! I'll have to check on those sensors. I thought too that maybe the truck had switched out until I checked it on a gravel road. Definitely still in 4wd. Any idea on how to check the sensor, or is a scanner needed? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
A scan should show the sensor error code, at least mine did anyway. Keep in mind the garage I brought it to has a high end scanner. Another give away that's its the sensor is if your ABS/slip light is on.

There appear to be lots of info on ABS sensors on this, and other titan forums on the web. From what I've read, you can check for continuity if it's not throwing a code. At least its a start...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not have a scanner (yet), so I did some investigating into the ABS sensors. Found one in the rear that looked to have some bad wires. Did some patching and what do you know! It works like it should now and switches between gears like expected. Thanks for the help in pointing me in the right direction, and hope this helps someone in the future!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do not have a scanner (yet), so I did some investigating into the ABS sensors. Found one in the rear that looked to have some bad wires. Did some patching and what do you know! It works like it should now and switches between gears like expected. Thanks for the help in pointing me in the right direction, and hope this helps someone in the future!
Nice! Glad it all worked out for you. It's snowy and winter where I am, so I know how much 4wd is needed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts