Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Titan': alarm goes off in the middle of the night.
well, here goes my first real problem with my '04 Titan.
the security alarm goes off in the middle of the night. It's loud. Wakes up the neighbors, but, more importantly, wakes me up.
At first thought maybe it's a vandal (reached out for my 44, just in case, and a flashlight), but the Retriver dog was calm... Nope, no 'real' problems, it's the the alarm...going off by it self, twice now in one night. Happened once before, several months ago, then went away.
Figures that the problem begins now one month out of its warrenty.
I'll make an appointment with a Nissan dealer soon. It just had its recent maintainence service done just recently.
Got any ideals.

Grrrrr.

Sleepless in Berkeley

·
Registered
515 Posts
wish i could help...i have an aftermarket system installed .. consider it.....should solve your probs at least short term and can always be reversed....may also be cheaper than a trip to the stealership..

also could be a sign of a dieing battery FYI

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dying battery?

CdnTitan LE 4x4 said:
wish i could help...i have an aftermarket system installed .. consider it.....should solve your probs at least short term and can always be reversed....may also be cheaper than a trip to the stealership..

also could be a sign of a dieing battery FYI
hmm, good point. i took off the "-" connector to the battery...for the night.

'stealership' is right! charged me $270 for the "15,000 Mile" service on my 20,000 mile Titan...not even sure if they gave it a tune up. They, Nissan/Volvo in Berkeley, didn't even rotate the tires. I'm hoping they did something worthwhile.

I'll consider an "aftermarket system" to installed: what should I be thinking about and where do i get 'em?

·
Premium Member
17,125 Posts
Re: dying battery?

pluckyew said:
'stealership' is right! charged me $270 for the "15,000 Mile" service on my 20,000 mile Titan...not even sure if they gave it a tune up.
I'm not sure what a "tune up" would be on a fuel injected computer controlled engine with non-adjustable valves and 100,000 mile spark plugs.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

bestatchess said:
I'm not sure what a "tune up" would be on a fuel injected computer controlled engine with non-adjustable valves and 100,000 mile spark plugs.
hmmmm good point

·
Registered
515 Posts

re: aftermarket system. (any audio store that sells car stereo's generally sells alarms..go to one that does installations as well)

Everyone has their preferances (Viper, Command start, Audio vox, AutoPage etc.)..but in my experience it's all about the installation. Buy whatever is on sale and ensure that qualified/certified tech. installs it with a 1 - 3 year warranty and you should be good to go.

If your still getting ghost alarms then it's probably your battery. Seeing how you mentioned your truck is an '04, it's not unusual for a factory battery to crap out after 3 years.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
so, how much is a 'good' replacement alarm system
$200?
$300?
$500?

dealer's charging $148 just to 'look' at it...

·
Registered
515 Posts
like i said..pick up something on sale...but the forum may have other ideas.. ( i have GPS tracking so please! take my truck ..the boys will have fun finding ya hahahaha )

i would bet $ that it's your battery thou...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts