Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
7 Day trip (we - me, wife, dog - fart around a lot on our long trips) Pennsylvania to California. Just over 3,000 miles added to the truck and I still only have 52,000 miles on it. Nothing broke!

Sunday, Jan 5 - Dayton, OH - we hit unexpected snow in the mountains of PA and that bus crash with 5 fatalities featured 90 miles of back road detours, through PA towns that I never knew existed, let alone never being there... and I'm a PA native!

Day 2 - At St Louis, we took I-44 West for the first time. That was a pleasant day. Stopped for the night in St Robert, MO - home of Uranus Fudge: "The best fudge comes from Uranus!"

Day 3 - Elk City, OK, because we've been there before, liked the town, and Pedro's, one of the best Mexican restaurants in the USA. Good weather.

Day 4 - Obligatory stop at Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo and stopped in Albuquerque, NM. Had a nice 30-40 mph crosswind which buffeted us all day, but no problems. I usually avoid staying in large cities; we hit 5:00 traffic right on time and I figured we'd stop at the next town after that. Despite the urban sprawl, the city abruptly ends on the western side, I passed a well lit exit with lots of gas stations just as the low fuel light came on. Google informed me that the next gas stations and hotels were 30+ miles ahead, so we turned around and went back to the city lights. I thought that the truck was surging a bit as I coasted into the gas station, but the fill up took 20.4 gallons, which I've done before.

Day 5: Gallup, NM. We stopped at several National Monuments in NM and this became the only state that we spent more than one night in. Snow, which was rapidly melting as we left the next morning. NM and AZ were the coldest states on this trip.

Day 6: Stopped at Petrified Forest NP and then Meteor Crater (first time, but everyone should see it at least once). Debated on whether to angle northwards and go to Canyon De Chelly and maybe farther into Monument Valley but this would have added at least 200 miles to the trip. So, we stopped in Williams, AZ "Gateway to Grand Canyon". Cold in northern AZ! The winds returned, but it was sunny and clear all day.

Day 7: Of course, we had to go to Grand Canyon, it was "nearby" and by 3:00 PM, we were back on I-40. By the time we got to lower elevations in western AZ, the temperatures were up in the 60s; made it to Barstow as darkness fell, and I was now in familiar terrain, so we continued. Pulled up to our CA home (actually, my wife's) at 10:00 PM.

Gas mileage summary: low of 13.8 (the Titan does not like New Mexico's 86 octane gas), and a high of 18.5, which is typical for a trip like this. The toll on the Titan was only the addition of another 3,000 miles. It needs an oil / filter change - because I used to put less than 5,000 miles a year, my policy is 1 year or 7500 miles, whichever comes first - but it's now been 10,000 miles on Mobil 1. Oil consumption is zero.

Late March / early April: we get to do it again, in reverse! We're running out of east-west Interstates to explore, the only ones left are I-20 east of El Paso, I-80 between Salt Lake City and Lake Tahoe, and I-90 west of Montana. The northern route is very appealing, but it's a gamble in early spring.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Well Congrats on your road trip and having an 04 with so few miles on it.But you do realize that your T is not even broke in yet? If I could find an 04 4x4 with leather and sunroof with 50 thousand on it I would want to buy it. My 04 just hit 240000. Runs better than NEW.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I wanted to add that the part about it being better than NEW was a Fing LIE! haha I would suggest you run your T Before it rusts away!

·
Registered
306 Posts
My 04 just hit 240000.
My 05 is at 205k. Sadly rust on the frame issues as it has lived in VT for 15 years, and the last 5 without a garage.
I have no idea what I am going to do because I spent a ton of money (3500 or so) and my own time, blood, sweat, tears, everything into getting set for inspection as well as doing all the stuff you would normally do to a truck that is 200k miles on it....and it broke during the effin inspection. Drivers side rear leaf spring bracket (not shackle) broke.
I need to do some checking when it's not -5 degrees outside and I think the ford leaf spring bracket that bolts on may work for me. At this point, I just need the thing drivable....as I was not planning on using the VW I adopted last year in the winter (due to lack of full heat and no snow tires right now)

I really planned on taking that thing to 300k. Anyone have a gen SWB frame they wanna donate? helps if the body panels attached are color A20.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to add that the part about it being better than NEW was a Fing LIE! haha I would suggest you run your T Before it rusts away!
The only Titans I've seen so far that have more than minor rust issues are ones that are driven on the beach a lot, and/or from areas north of PA where it snows more and more salt is used.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Wow, great to see an 04 with so few miles and like new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts