Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I replace with OEM caliper or go with after-market? I read all the threads I could find.

I replaced my stock rotors with Frozen rotors slotted and Hawk Lts pads today. During the changeover I noticed my Front Left pads were half the thickness of the right side. I knew I had a problem somewhere, but I put it together and sure enough the left caliper was locked up. I tried letting fluid out of the caliper to release the pressure but it did not work.

Here are my questions:

1. If I go with aftermarket should I replace both left and right calipers or can I just replace the left side?

1. What brand do you recommend?

I already have the frozen rotors on so I do not want to do a BBK. Stillen too expensive.

Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
the OEM's are pricey, or you could rebuild yours with a rebuild kit
if you do replace the front calipers, replace both

Reactions: ka titan

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
70,410 Posts
Whatever you decide, replace them both...

Reactions: ka titan

·
Registered
686 Posts
Your best bet would be to just purchase a remanufactured caliper, I would suggest Raybestos. A remanufactured Caliper will be identical to the one you pull off, this way no need to buy both if the other side is working properly. Raybestos offers a FRC (Friction Ready Caliper) line that comes without pads, in your case the front left part number is FRC11564

·
Frozen Rotors
208 Posts
Hi Bignick1,

I would replace both calipers with a High Quality re-built set. The minimal cost of replacing BOTH calipers is far lees than the damage potential caused by BRAKE FAILURE !

This is another GREAT example of why its important to have the brake fluid flushed and replaced AT LEAST once a year. Most likely the piston seized or stuck due to moisture, condensation and corrosion build up from the brake fluid. Brake Fluid is HYGROSCOPIC...meaning it absorbs moisture at the very exposure of atmosphere air (and humidity).

Hope this helps.

Keith
[email protected]

1.888.323.8456 / 952.746.8880

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
the OEM's are pricey, or you could rebuild yours with a rebuild kit
This is what I did. A couple of pistons, the dust boot and the internal flat O-ring seal is all that is needed, as long as the caliper body is ok (particularly the piston bores). I blew the pistons out of the caliper with compressed air. Might be a PITA to get the pistons out of the housing w/o a compressor.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
my right rear piston cracked and caused it to lock up. I ordered the rear rebuild kit and all is good now

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Kieth and titan members.

It sounds like I should rebuild the one I have with a rebuild kit, or order two new Calipers.

Any brands come to mind besides Raybestos?

Nick

Hi Bignick1,

I would replace both calipers with a High Quality re-built set. The minimal cost of replacing BOTH calipers is far lees than the damage potential caused by BRAKE FAILURE !

This is another GREAT example of why its important to have the brake fluid flushed and replaced AT LEAST once a year. Most likely the piston seized or stuck due to moisture, condensation and corrosion build up from the brake fluid. Brake Fluid is HYGROSCOPIC...meaning it absorbs moisture at the very exposure of atmosphere air (and humidity).

Hope this helps.

Keith
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
70,410 Posts
Whatever you decide, do both sides!!!!

·
Frozen Rotors
208 Posts
Nick,

What I would recommend and DO. Is replace both calipers with complete RE-MANUFACTURED (re-built) calipers. Skip trying to rebuild them your self. It's far less frustrating and much more economical to just install a set of Hi-Quality re-manufactured calipers and use the pads of your choice. Obviously I would recommend Hawk ( LTS) pads for your truck.

Hope this helps.

Keith

[email protected]

·
Registered
506 Posts
Before you do that, check the brake hose, I had this issue on my gmc Sierra . My right caliper was stuck so I changed the caliper and still had this problem so I changed the hose and found seen a small titty in it. Just my opinion.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm reading old posts. I see you got the Pistons, Boots and Flat O-Rings. You note you got the kit. Do you recall where you got them?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts