Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday I noticed that when I try to start my truck, I turn the key and nothing happens, after a couple of times, the starter will kick in and it starts fine. This morning, it took several times before the starter kicked in. It isn't doing this every time, but when the engine is cold, if I restart it after the engine is warm, it works fine.
The Titian is a 2004 with 172000 miles. Has anyone else had this issue?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I searched and found the information is already here, so I need a new starter.

·
Premium Member
77,618 Posts
I had to jump myself yesterday morning, it was 5 degrees and she wouldn't crank over. It didn't really bother me all that much, the truck is 10 and I think that is the only replacement battery I've put in it, I'm probably due.

172,000 on that starter doesn't seem bad, I wonder if Robkar had to replace his already, I know he's a high mileage Titan.

By the way, you have about 100,000 more miles than I have on mine :cheers:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I haven't had this issue myself, but I know that several other members have. As far as I know, the only fix is to replace the starter. Apparently it is a PITA to replace because the starter is located under the intake manifold. Good luck with the fix!

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't had this issue myself, but I know that several other members have. As far as I know, the only fix is to replace the starter. Apparently it is a PITA to replace because the starter is located under the intake manifold. Good luck with the fix!
Under the intake manifold, that is a new one on me, but I do have a service manual and metric wrenches, so I will do it if I have to, going to clean battery cables first.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,728 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Today I had problems twice, turned the key several times and nothing happened, wiggled the shifter and it started. Is there a way to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today, the starter would not work at all, until I held up on the shifter (Colum shifter), and then it started with no problem.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could be the same. Ive always known them to be called neutral safety switch. Im new to these trucks so I dunno where it would be on this vehicle. Probably under dash or on the side of the trans
From what I read from another site, it is on the side of the transmission.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We're not talking about the ATP switch correct?
according to the service manual, it is called a PNP, PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ordered a rebuilt starter from Nissan.....

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Picked up the starter Thursday afternoon, got up Friday morning and did the job. I had company visiting, so I wasn't able to work straight though, had to go into town once, but starting a 08:00, I was though by noon, thanks to RobKar's instructions.
I am enough of a shade tree mechanic that I would have gotten it done sooner or later, but certainly not as easy as it was.
Thanks again, RobKar

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess that I have been lucky. I believe my starter is shot. Had the 2004 from new in 2004. 265000 miles on it. Has been a GREAT VEHICLE. H ave had to replace exhaust manifold because I did idle engine after very long dives in cold weather while pulling a trailer. Just shut it down. The only thing that I have disliked with it was having to replace the self seal bearing about every 125-150,000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On Monday I noticed that when I try to start my truck, I turn the key and nothing happens, after a couple of times, the starter will kick in and it starts fine. This morning, it took several times before the starter kicked in. It isn't doing this every time, but when the engine is cold, if I restart it after the engine is warm, it works fine.
The Titian is a 2004 with 172000 miles. Has anyone else had this issue?
Thanks in advance
I am dealing with this exact issue, have everything removed including the mount bolts and CAN NOT break the starter free of the block. Spray, air hammer.... I would love to find the engineer for this one!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts