Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled the seal and companion flange on my new-to-me 05 Titan SE. The seal was pretty tore up and leaking like a sieve. I've searched the forum but have so far been unable to source the flange which has a groove in it like the one pictured. I don't want to do this job again in a month because the seal was ruined by the groove. This isn't my photo but mine is grooved just like this one I found in another thread. ( DIY - Front Transfer Case Seal Replacement )

It took a while but I was able to source this part only available through Nissan. I figure I'd be doing this job in a month or two if I didn't replace this grooved flange now. I'm posting this to help others who might be finding their seals didn't work very long. This is probably why.

Product Camera lens Automotive lighting Auto part Cosmetics

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
5,291 Posts
the groove in the seal area where the spring loaded part of the seal rides is what you are talking about?

if you ever have trouble finding that again, maybe a machine shop could put a speedi-sleeve over that chrome area to make it smooth again? or run that flange on a lathe and use some crocus cloth to try and get that groove smoothed out?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did consider having it resurfaced if I couldn't find a new replacement part. Cost is what concerned me and time to ship it to a qualified shop, get the work done, and time to ship back. I'd be curious what that amount would be once it was all added up. It would need to be filled in then re-machined.

I would be extremely surprised if it could be done for less than the $142 (shipped) price I ended up paying for a new part from Nissan. Of course if it could be done locally that would help a lot.

Yes, that was my plan B if I couldn't source the part.

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
5,291 Posts
for sure, it will probably be cheaper to just buy that new one. luckily it was available. having a shop cut it down, another shop shot peen the cut area, another rechrome and heat treat it, than the final cutting back to spec would be way more.

or finding someone who could do cold metal spray onto it is probably even worse than finding shops to do the other stuff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts