Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just bought an 05 titan se and after a week of driving started to hear dragging/ticking noise while moving. I took to nissan dealership and they said its the rear dif plus bad pinion seal 4300$. I drove home and it seemed to be louder I got home and checked rear diff fluid with pinkie and I couldnt feel any fluid so I filled it took about 28oz of oil. I guess my question is does this mean the rear dif is definitely shot or is there a chance it was just low on fluid? Also if I do need a read dif should I have it done by nissan the price seems ridiculous and I couldnt afford that especially just after making the purchase for the truck.::crying::

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sounds like a like a ticking time bomb. Mine started out like that. Pull the diff cover and check the pin on the carrier (that holds the spider gears). If it's loose, then you'll need a fix it. I had to replace my entire carrier. cost me $350. drove it around for another 10K before selling her.... good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just got done paying the $4300, not fun! I got a brand spanking new one from the dealer and it sounds like **** right out the box(crate)! I'd goto a good transmission guy and see about getting it rebuilt withOUT the crappy nissan parts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hey guys just bought an 05 titan se and after a week of driving started to hear dragging/ticking noise while moving. I took to nissan dealership and they said its the rear dif plus bad pinion seal 4300$. I drove home and it seemed to be louder I got home and checked rear diff fluid with pinkie and I couldnt feel any fluid so I filled it took about 28oz of oil. I guess my question is does this mean the rear dif is definitely shot or is there a chance it was just low on fluid? Also if I do need a read dif should I have it done by nissan the price seems ridiculous and I couldnt afford that especially just after making the purchase for the truck.::crying::
I have rear diff parts for sale if you need a certain part. If that dealer checked out your rear diff and never bothered to check/fill the rear diff fluid i would be calling them up and freaking out!! That was their job. Because they did not do their job you continued to hurt the diff. Is it quiet now that you have added fluid back?

The pinion bearings will starve for lube in the case of low fluid. Could be this as well as bad carrier as mentioned. Good luck with it and PM me if you need help. I do a lot of rear diff rebuilds.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Before you drop $4300 on a factory replacement, have a good differential shop quote you a full-on rebuild, with all new bearings, seals, and any other new parts (carrier, spiders, ring & pinion, whatever else). You'll find it to be infinitely a better deal. You could get a TruTrac diff, which is just about the best aftermarket diff for the Titan, a full rebuild, with all new seals and bearings, for likely far less than half the cost of a new OEM unit. Easy decision.

Reactions: gonfishin

·
Registered
41 Posts
If I had it to do over again I'd do what dubyam said. Get a tru-trac and possibly the rest of the parts off someone here. Mine made no sounds and just one day exploded going 50mph down a highway. I'm lucky it was lightly raining or else my truck would have tumbled.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I had endless issues with the original rear on my 2005 LE - finally found a front end wrecked 2014 Titan with just 8000 miles on it - bought the rear and bought a new Tru Track unit with bearings and installed it into it. It was not difficult - took me the better part of the weekend. The bearings and axle tubes seem to be bigger than my old one - needed longer u- bolts from the newer truck to bolt it in. Total cost doing everything myself was just over 2100. This was 1 1/2 years and 35K miles ago and no problems from that direction since the upgrade. You may want to look into this as a solution for your truck

Reactions: gonfishin
1 - 7 of 7 Posts