Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Titan SE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how’s it going gentlemen, so regular ol titan. wanna upgrade the radio but not sure which one to settle on. also the worry of having the use of my steering wheel controls available. would to retain those lol. and also wanting to up the speaker game a little bit, what’re some good speakers?
If anybody could just drop suggestions and or some wisdom lemme know. thank you 👍

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just installed the Sony high powered 45w rms xav7000 multimedia receiver in my ‘05. Infinity Primus components, 6x9" fr and 6.5" rear. I also have the sound ordinance powered sub under the driver seat. The whole setup looks and sounds great. The Infinity’s are 2.7 ohms so it draws some extra power out of the head unit which suits my taste for loud.
I also hooked up the steering wheel controls. A bit trickier than the radio install but worth the effort. I will post pics when I figure out how to get them here from my phone.

Attachments

Reactions: wytegold38

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,308 Posts
crutchfield sells the adapter kit to allow you to retain use of your steering wheel controls. they also will be able to put a kit for your truck together, if you want to

as far as a head unit, they are all fairly decent now, even the weird brand names. to me, the best head unit i ever had was an eclipse (fujitsu ten), which per a google search, seems to have stopped making awesome high end car audio stuff.

but all the normal brands they sell in your local best buy are fine and are higher grade then the Walmart/kmart versions of the same brands.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I can't speak for how to do it in a Titan, but I can add that a powered sub (sub/amp all in one) seems weak on paper but we put one in my son's F150 Supercab, and it really has amazing bass for the size and cost. We bought a Kenwood which is small (about the size of a piece of paper) but fills in all the lows nicely. Cost was about $150, I think, but that included everything we needed for the install, so zero added costs.

I'll also second the Infinity speakers. We went to several stores and listened to speakers from Sony, Kenwood, Infinity, Alpine, JVC, Focus, and various others. The Infinitys consistently (at all stores) outperformed everything but the stuff 2-3x their price, and even then, it was tiny differences.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is the kit you need to retain your steering wheel controls. I didn’t want to wire tap stuff in the dash so I cut the pigtail harness from the factory radio face and removed the unused pins/wires and connected the remaining 3 pins/wires to the adapter in order to be able to keep it mostly plug and play.
Now don’t get me wrong, I thought I was in over my head a few times.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,308 Posts
infinity makes nice stuff. i had two 12s in a car and it would set off car alarms at the mall on a low grade amp.

now that i am hearing impaired (from that dang m60 and SAW), they all sound so similar i am fine with stock stuff.

so, public safety warning, wear hearing protection when working around loud noises or you will regret it. unless you like to hear 3400mhz all day, every day on top of all other sounds

·
Registered
2005 Titan SE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just installed the Sony high powered 45w rms xav7000 multimedia receiver in my ‘05. Infinity Primus components, 6x9" fr and 6.5" rear. I also have the sound ordinance powered sub under the driver seat. The whole setup looks and sounds great. The Infinity’s are 2.7 ohms so it draws some extra power out of the head unit which suits my taste for loud.
I also hooked up the steering wheel controls. A bit trickier than the radio install but worth the effort. I will post pics when I figure out how to get them here from my phone.
that’s awesome man. yeah post it when you can. thank you for the ideas. under the driver seat is genius didn’t think of that.

·
Registered
2005 Titan SE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the kit you need to retain your steering wheel controls. I didn’t want to wire tap stuff in the dash so I cut the pigtail harness from the factory radio face and removed the unused pins/wires and connected the remaining 3 pins/wires to the adapter in order to be able to keep it mostly plug and play.
Now don’t get me wrong, I thought I was in over my head a few times.
unfortunately i have no experience with wires so that would all be foreign to me. i’ll have to get my guy to wire it up

·
Registered
317 Posts
unfortunately i have no experience with wires so that would all be foreign to me. i’ll have to get my guy to wire it up
Although it's not hard by any means to install and wire all these up, just time consuming. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, with the MANY threads on installs here, I suggest paying a local shop to install everything.
I found the Maestro RR-SWI is working best for my steering wheel controls. I just never had any personal luck with the AWSC keeping a program and the PAC SWI never dealt with heat well for me.
And if you're already looking for better sound, i would suggest just suck it up and high end speakers and stay away from the Pioneer specials at Wally World. And spend the money in the headunit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I chose the Sony xav7000 for the simple fact that it has a built in amp and eliminates the need to run a separate 4 or 5 channel amp. It only requires that you run it’s main power direct from the battery(which I needed for the sub anyhow). It was on sale for 500 at Crutchfield for the holidays. The speakers were around 160 per pair, not too bad. And the Powered sub was only like 175. Then a bunch of time and patience. I felt I was in over my head more than once. I purchase everything separate over a year and took it easy on the wallet. Watched a lot of install videos while I planned out my adventure. The biggest challenge to me was wiring up the SWI. I’m 51 and probably should have paid someone to do it the whole install for me but now I get the satisfaction knowing I still got it.......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts