Nissan Titan Forum banner

2006 titan no oil pressure

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Shawnconley 
#1 ·
So....Harvey is here in houston, took a friend to get his stranded car off the freeway,, drove through maybe 2 feet of water in a couple of spots, nothing major, on my way back home i saw the oil temp light come on,, 1 mile left to the house, about 1/2 mile more the oil pressure completely dropped,,, parked it, let it cool, checked oil level seems good. Could it be a sensor or do i need some serious intervention. .i appreciate any help

#3 ·
I think the sensor for oil psi is located by the filter. if you got water near it you could have shorted it out...probably what happened. Stay safe out there

Reactions: Walrus
#5 ·
From what I understand, the oil pumps on the vk56 is built like a brick shiit house. I reckon you will be alright, and if your pump did go out, you probably have major engine issues anyway. I bet its just the sensor or something like that. You could tap in a mechanical gauge where the electronic sender is, just be careful, the titan oil pressure is in excess of 100 psi at that orifice.

#6 ·
It could be just dirty water causing a temporary short circuit, but let's think about this a moment. I don't think I'm backwards on this.....A Pressure Switch is Normally Open and Closes or completes the circuit when there is enough pressure to do so. So, I would first clean the outside of the Pressure Switch with a shot of WD-40 to disperse moisture or even a shot of Brakleen. Make sure it is dry, then start the engine. Watch right away if the light comes on or not. You may be just fine. it is also possible something in the water (wood, etc.) got up to the switch and broke the connection. This would make in unable to indicate good pressure. Check Youtube for a video of its location, it is very easy to see.

#10 · (Edited)
So....replaced sender no more issue there,,, however i keep having a random no start issue, drive to the store about a mile away, go inside come out wont start, trun key no click, have power but nothing happens, sit a few minutes then it starts,, lasted a week or so then same thing, this time took about 20 minutes before it would turn over. Replaced battery after having it tested to be bad, lasted about two weeks, then bam nothing, truck sat for two days intermittently trying to go out and start it nothing,,, had truck picked up to be taken to a shop to check it,, after they get there it starts.... i did buy they truck and previous owner had installed a viper alarm, tried setting alarm, unsetting disabling it, that didnt work...so now the shop is saying they cant do anything unless they can reproduce the issue, seems odd that it started after being towed to the shop 8 miles away,, tells me a loose or bad connection somewhere. ...but where...??? Any input is appreciated, i have searched forums but the results and solutions are so random i cant make sense out of what worked. Thanks again.

#11 ·
What is the voltage at the battery while running? Could be alternator failing. Starter would also be suspect.

#13 ·
Truck does not turn over that is normally not a sign of IPDM or ECU relay failure. Normally that would be a no start scenario but would turn over. I'm inclined to think you have a bad connection, corroded connection, weak battery, starter, or as I mentioned an alternator that is failing. What is voltage at the battery during idle and while driving? What is the voltage after sitting an hour measured at the battery while not running? If the two week old battery is failing these tests I would start looking closely at all your connections and alternator. If voltage is good start looking at the solenoid/Starter.

#14 ·
This may or may not be the same thing but I have similar issues. I am 99% sure that my srarter is going out. Some times it starts just fine and other times nothing, power to everything else but no click from the starter. I loosen the plastic cover over the intake and use a 3'x3/8" rod and can tap on on the front of the starter, I believe the bendix is getting stuck. Starts every time. You need to pull the cover off and look with a flashlight because that starter is buried under there, left (passenger) side in the front is the easiest access. It looks like its going to be a 5 or 6 hour job replacing it so im biding my time. Plan on tackeling it next weekend if it holds up. Hope this helps but even if it does, its a pain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.