Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after much debate I decided to pull the trigger on the Suspension upgrade for my 2007 4X2 LE KC. This truck was wrecked close to total when a "Good Buddy" of mine stole the Titan with a 5X8 single axle trailer in tow in late July 2010. He lost control on the highway and drove it off into the woods on the side of I-26 at 85+ MPH. They did not total it and kept it in the shop for 42 days. Got it out of the shop and plowed it into some young girl who decided to pull out in front of me. Destroyed the front end this time. After 15 more days in the shop, I was real close to trading it in on an F-150 platinum or Big Horn Dodge Ram 1500 (love those rear bumpers) but decided to lift the Titan like I have always wanted to do. Apparently trucks that have been wrecked are not worth as much at trade in time! Go figure.

So I ordered the 08+ 4X4 Coils, Bilstein 5100's, ICON 4X4 rears and a C-10 Deaver Pack. I paid a local mechanic around $400 to get it all installed along with new EBC slotted rotors and pads on the front. The Titan is a whole new Truck. Close to 2 inches of lift all the way around. The 5100's are set at the 0 perch as any more lift would have caused UCA coil bucket contact.

The ride has improved greatly over stock. I was at 75K miles with all original struts on all 4 corners before the lift. It was riding a little rough combined with the 1/2 worn Nitto Terrra Grapplers. Now it has a more firm ride but it feels much lighter in the turns. Less roll and more control. I am running Firestone Destination LE 275/65/18 currently. I work out of the truck and put a lot of highway miles on it. I had to wait a bit before getting it aligned because of Christmas vacation. Before the alignment I was not real sure I had made the right decision. After the alignment I am very pleased with how the truck feels. I still have to order a Camber Bolt Kit from PRG so we can get the caster/camber in spec. It is amazing how much 2" of lift will change the front end geometry.

The front end feels very true and responds to the smallest corrections. It is a bit more of a firm ride that provides performance and comfort. It absorbs large bumps very well. The 5100 08+ 4X4 coil over push the truck back up to normal height after any major dip or bump. The rear feels like it is firmly planted yet it seems to have more travel in the dips. I have yet to tow with the new set up. The fact that I do tow our band trailer and my boat in the summer contributed heavily to deciding on using the C-10 deaver pack as opposed to blocking the rear. I will report back after next weekends band gigs to see how the rear responds to the trailer on the hitch.

All in I have put around $1200 into the upgrade the suspension and get a 4X4 stance. I am happy to keep the truck for a while longer now.

Next will be a Westin Bull Bar for the front. Maybe some bigger tires. Bridgestone Duelers or Toyo's. Who knows? Just keep throwing money at it!

Pics below. Enjoy!

<P>

<P>
<P>
<P>
<P>

Attachments

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
It's lookn good!!

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
$400 for the install sounds pretty good to me. Knowing what I know now I would have paid that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He STOLE it?! How did it fit on a 5x8 trailer?
Yep. We were at a gig on Lake Murray. The Titan was parked in the marina with our empty 5x8 trailer hitched. He had clothes in the truck because he rode with us. He asked for my keys to get his shirt and shorts. He was told not to drive. Occasionally he would pull the trailer around for me as he had experience backing a trailer. It was his B-day and he was hammered. 20 minutes go by as we are breaking down gear and no keys returned. We take a walk to the lot and the truck and trailer are gone. I get a call from a crying buddy telling me my truck and trailer are parked in the woods off the side of I-26. He and his cousin decided to take my truck (with an empty "fn" trailer) to go score some pills!!!! They lost control passing a motor home in the right lane. They jackknifed the trailer and dumped the whole rig off into the woods at 80 + MPH! Trashed my LE. WTF!

So the trailer was toast (see pic) and the truck gets a 43 day $13500 visit to the dealership. No air bag deployment or frame damage so no total. As a bonus I get to pick up the bill. Insurance follows the vehicle here. After deductible, rentals and new trailer I'm out 5K! To boot I wrecked it again head on 2 weeks after getting out of the shop. So back to the dealership for another 14 days and another front end.

The entire drivers side, front and rear end (twice)were replaced with new panels and hardware. It's basically a new truck. The dealership over buffed the clear coat pretty bad throughout. I will attempt to get them to hold there word on a lifetime guarantee for all bodywork and paint. Needs to be color sanded and cleared again.

Beat that!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$400 for the install sounds pretty good to me. Knowing what I know now I would have paid that.
It was defiantly worth the $400 to avoid the hassle and not have any hiccups. You cannot compress a spring in your buddy's garage with a rental compressor and expect it to be perfect. You would have to have a pretty sporty set up with a lift and some good air tools. Plus some real coil over and add a leaf experience. If you need a custom home theater installed....I'm your guy. If you need a coil over suspension lift done.... I got a guy.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
The 5100's are set at the 0 perch as any more lift would have caused UCA coil bucket contact.
More preload on the coils doesn't change the length of the struts, (like adding more lift with a spacer), so you should not have more bucket contact, just a stiffer ride. So if you do end up wanting additional lift at some point ...

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
So he could have put the 5100's on the 1 setting without reducing the uca/cb clearance?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Yes, but for a better ride a PRG 1.5" leveling kit on top, along with the bottom setting, would be a better than the the middle setting, because compressing the coils reduces droop travel, and they are already compressed since the 5100's were designed for '04-'07 coils which are shorter than the '08+ 4x4 coils. Also, all or at least most of the initial 1/2" of lift the 5100's give on the bottom setting is caused by the spring perch position, so even on the bottom setting there's already a little more spring compression than with the stock or Bilstein HD struts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts