Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I just found this forum about two weeks ago and have found the help here to be outstanding. I'll try not to make this post to long, but think I need pass along some quick information so you will better understand my questions.

I recently purchased a used 2007 Nissan Titan XE with I believe a factory tow package. The reason for the purchase is so that I can pull a recently acquired 20' Fun Runner (Toy Hauler).

When I say believe a factory tow package, I bases this on the fact that it does have the tow package button in middle of the cab, just below the A/C controls, has a factory electric Brake controller under the dash (not just the electric brake plug-in but a wiring adapter to connect a brake controller. Also all the relays under the hood in the fuse box. My only concern is that the tow hitch says Uhaul, so now I'm not sure if all that stuff is aftermarket.

I"m not sure of the Class on Uhaul hitch, but believe it's more than enough to tow the trailer (see hitch details below). My trailer has a weight of 4,000lbs and a max gross weight of 7,000lbs.

I'm in the process of installing a new 7-pin trailer plug, as the mount on the vehicle was missing ( I know should of paid more attention), but did have a female plug that said Delphi PA66 on it. In the process of putting in the new plug I have read over a lot of different information and noticed a post about BT and OR Titans have lower 3.36 gears; not sure if that is for 05 and 06 models only, but got me thinking and a bit concerned about towing.

Here is information about my titan, hauler, and Uhaul hitch.

2007 Titan XE V8 5.56 ID tag states (inside of driver door)
GVWR = 6,422lbs
GAWR FR = 3,377lbs
GAWR RR= 3,800lbs
Truck Type = 377
Model No. = CPKELRK-EUN 0z0000
Trans = RE5R05A
Axle = CC29
Engine = VK56DE 5552CC

Toy Hauler - Carson Trailer - Fun Runner 2001
Gross Weight = 4,000lbs
Max Weight = 7,000lbs

Uhaul Hitch
There is a pic attached
I believe the part # is 78274
Also has 13199-50
Neither are stated to be the PN, just on a sticker at the part it attaches to the frame.
Says max weight with out weight distribution = 6,000lbs Tongue 600lbs
With weight distribution = 10,000lbs and Tongue 1,000lbs

I do have a weight distribution set up and I also installed Timbren Suspension Kits (SES Kits) to enhance the suspension.

My concern is that my vehicle may not be able to pull my trailer and weight without problems either now or down the road. I have three dirt bikes and just a few other items to haul, but nothing of significant weight.

I'm really interested in knowing if my truck was a factory installed tow system or done afterward. Not sure if the truck info tell someone that or not.

I have attached a few pictures; hitch and fuse boxes. I will be more than happy to set up a webpage with any other pictures if more information is need.

I apologize if this is way to long, but I really want to provide all the information in one shot if at all possible.

Pictures - The pics are not super clear so I apologize, but will look to get better ones if those are not good enough.

Hitch Info

Hitch PN Sticker (I believe)

Fuse Box

Fuse Box 2

·
Premium Member
71,975 Posts
All T's have tow mode switch. Sounds like you aren't big tow. Do you have a trans temp guage below the speedo?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Hello,
Sound like you do not have the tow package...If you did you would have the factory trans temp gauge.
Your tow limits are about 7200 lbs, and I wouldn't install taller tires...

Do you have a 4wd with the off-road package?

You do hwever have the same fine cooling system with 2 trans coolers...

Make friends with 3rd gear if you really load up the trailer...

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
On steelies isn't the limit like 6500?
Your diff will have a sticker on the bottom near the proppeller shaft with the gear ratio I saw mine yesterday when I was spraying oil on these squeaky leaf springs and just poking around out of boredom.
2.94 is non bt and 3.356 is the BT gearing
What Kinda brake controller are you runing none of our trucks come with one from the factory someone hooked you up!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
On steelies isn't the limit like 6500?
:confused: what's that got to do with the price of beans?

Just-in said:
Your diff will have a sticker on the bottom near the proppeller shaft with the gear ratio...2.94 is non bt and 3.356 is the BT gearing
^yes^

Do you have a 4wd with the off-road package?
OR package is (was) available with 2WD also.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I dont think you have a tow package

Someone bought a U haul "kit"

I know for sure 08 XE does not come with a trans temp gauge even with tow package, not sure about 07.

I will walk outside and check my door sticker for you in an hour of so and post up what mine says. I remember for sure the axle code is different on mine, I think it says 36.

As someone stated the best way is to slide under the truck and the rear will have a sticker on it, stating the gear ratio, mine is where the drives shaft bolts to the rear.

John

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
But did it include the lower rear gears like the 4wd version did....?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
But did it include the lower rear gears like the 4wd version did....?
Well I would assume so, probably the most useful component of the OR package besides the 17" tires. (Skid plates, Rancho shocks, tow hooks, fog lights, lower gears). I am trying to find info online from 2004, I had an actual sales brochure that had all that info in it, now Nissan has everthing so 'dumbed-down' it doesn't give any details.

From what I am seeing, those axle codes (CC29 CC30) on the door jamb don't relate to the gear ratio.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Mine is a 08.5 XE KC, I bought it with Preferred package and Tow package

GVWR = 7100lbs
GAWR FR = 3800lbs
GAWR RR= 4200lbs
Truck Type = 377
Model No. = did not write it down
Trans = did not write it down but I am sure it is the same
Axle = CC33
Engine = did not write it down but I am sure it is the same

John

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mine is a 08.5 XE KC, I bought it with Preferred package and Tow package

GVWR = 7100lbs
GAWR FR = 3800lbs
GAWR RR= 4200lbs
Truck Type = 377
Model No. = did not write it down
Trans = did not write it down but I am sure it is the same
Axle = CC33
Engine = did not write it down but I am sure it is the same

John
Strange. My 08 XE KC (manufactured 07/07) with no tow package has all the same numbers except the GAWR FR is 3699 lbs.
I must have received a bigger engine than you guys reducing my GAWR by 101 lbs....(HA)

·
Premium Member
21,152 Posts
For the '07 model year if you don't have the transmission temperature gauge on the dash then you don't have the tow package. Other ways to figure this out are the lack of the OEM hitch and no Big Tow mirrors. The lower gears come with either the Off-road or Big Tow packages (I'm consulted the '07 brochure for this information so it's the straight poop).

From the '07 Nissan Towing Guide an '07 XE 4x2/4x4 without the tow package has a Maximum trailer weight of 6,500 lbs with a maximum tongue weight of 650 lbs. I don't know how much your bikes weigh but if you load the trailer to the maximum weight it can handle then you're over what your Titan is rated to haul.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Strange. My 08 XE KC (manufactured 07/07) with no tow package has all the same numbers except the GAWR FR is 3699 lbs.
I must have received a bigger engine than you guys reducing my GAWR by 101 lbs....(HA)
just curious, is the axel code the same?

·
Registered
179 Posts
just curious, is the axel code the same?
Same code - CC33

The numbers also reflect the 100 lb difference in the GVWR so mine is 7000 lbs. Missed that.
Rear is 4200 though.
All these numbers are using 265-70/18's at 35psi on 18x8 wheels.
Apparently 100 lbs was taken off the front of the truck between 08 and 08.5's.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
:confused: what's that got to do with the price of beans?

^yes^

Then why does an xe 2wd non bt has a 6500 cap. And a se has 7400. It's been discussed before that it's the alloy wheels which are stronger. I pulled those numbers from the manual

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Then why does an xe 2wd non bt has a 6500 cap. And a se has 7400. It's been discussed before that it's the alloy wheels which are stronger. I pulled those numbers from the manual
I don't doubt that it's in the manual, but when you think about the difference in payload (tongue weight) between 6500# and 9200# or whatever, that's only like 150 extra pounds per rear wheel, assuming all the tongue weight goes to the rear axle. If it's really an issue, they must be stamping those wheels out of some cheap-azz steel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All,

I really appreciate all info passed my way. From what is said, I do believe my titan doesn’t have the tow package. However, I will check for the temp gauge, and gear diff, and even take better pictures of the truck to post.

I’ll give an update in about an hour or so.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi All,

I've taken a few pictures of my truck and various items on the truck. I can see that my truck does not have a factory tow package, because 1. I don't have a temp gauge and 2. I have the gear diff of 2.937.

With that said here's the link to the page that has all the pictures and comments from me.

2007 NISSAN TITAN XE ?(2007 Nissan Titan XE)?

I am curious to know if I can install the 3.355 gear diff install and a temp gauge. I assume this would then qualify for as BT?? Well if I add the two mirrors.:)

Also, I'd like to know if I'm calculating my weight correct. The 2007 Nissan Tow guide for the Titan XE says the following (pic on page i linked above and below.

Max Trailer Weight = lbs 6,500lbs
Gross Combined Weight Rating = 12,800lbs

Meaning that if I don't load my toy hauler with max weight (7,000lbs) and only load say to 5,500 lbs and don't over load my vehicle, if the weight of the two added together does not exceed 12,800 I should be fine to tow that weight. Given that the weight is properly distributed between the vehicle and toy hauler.

Again I appreciate the info you guys have provided.

Here's the link to the page again.

·
Registered
133 Posts
the photo with the arrow is to the 4x4 switch, if you had 4x4. if you look in your dash there is a open area next to the gas gauge and below the temp gauge, i beleive that is the gauge they are talking about.

ok not trying to hijack thread.... but my 07 xe 4x4 has the temp gauge but not big tow mirrors so what does that make mine. came with a hitch from the dealer and all the wiring to connect a electric brake. looking to get a enclosed trailer for my bikes and other toys and want to make sure i can tow it. my brother doesn't have the tow package and he tows a 26' toy hauler no problem so i think i'll be ok just want to make sure.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
the photo with the arrow is to the 4x4 switch, if you had 4x4. if you look in your dash there is a open area next to the gas gauge and below the temp gauge, i beleive that is the gauge they are talking about.

ok not trying to hijack thread.... but my 07 xe 4x4 has the temp gauge but not big tow mirrors so what does that make mine. came with a hitch from the dealer and all the wiring to connect a electric brake. looking to get a enclosed trailer for my bikes and other toys and want to make sure i can tow it. my brother doesn't have the tow package and he tows a 26' toy hauler no problem so i think i'll be ok just want to make sure.
You have the tow package no XE's come with the BT mirrors from the factory

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Hi All,

I've taken a few pictures of my truck and various items on the truck. I can see that my truck does not have a factory tow package, because 1. I don't have a temp gauge and 2. I have the gear diff of 2.937.

With that said here's the link to the page that has all the pictures and comments from me.

I am curious to know if I can install the 3.355 gear diff install and a temp gauge. I assume this would then qualify for as BT?? Well if I add the two mirrors.:)

Also, I'd like to know if I'm calculating my weight correct. The 2007 Nissan Tow guide for the Titan XE says the following (pic on page i linked above and below.

Max Trailer Weight = lbs 6,500lbs
Gross Combined Weight Rating = 12,800lbs

Meaning that if I don't load my toy hauler with max weight (7,000lbs) and only load say to 5,500 lbs and don't over load my vehicle, if the weight of the two added together does not exceed 12,800 I should be fine to tow that weight. Given that the weight is properly distributed between the vehicle and toy hauler.

Again I appreciate the info you guys have provided.

Here's the link to the page again.

you can install an aftermarket trans temp guage, autometer sells a sweet one and put it where the 4wd switch would've been I don't see why you couldn't add the gears too, even easier would probably just to swap the rear axle out with one from a wrecked truck.
Nice Truck BTW..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts