Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . . anybody know of a fix for the really mushy brakes on my 2008 Titan?

I get 2 to 3 inches of brake pedal travel in a normal red-light stop. Towing my trailer I actually have to pump the brakes or the pedal goes to the floor. The dealer, of course, says they see no problem. Does anyone else have this problem, this bad?

I'm used to firm brake pedals and this is driving me nuts. I really like everything else about this truck, and I thought I could get used to the brakes, but I actually have started thinking about getting rid of it.

. . . appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Take it to another dealer. I have maybe 1.5" of pedal till I lock the brakes up. No mushy feeling at all, and normal stopping has about 1" of play. Have them bleed all four wheels and road test it. If that doesn't do it, demand a new power brake booster.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yeah, you might want to have them bled and checked for leaks. What's the fluid level in the master cylinder show?

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
I felt mine were mushy also so I took it in. A Tech took it for a drive and really stomped the crap out of the brakes. He said they worked fine. Yeah, they work but they sure do feel mushy.

Some members have replaced the brake lines with steel braided lines. Supposedly these flex less and provide a more solid pedal feel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, y'all.

The master cyl. reservoir is on the mark, and the dealer claims to have checked the system for air using an "instrument", but didn't actually bleed the system.

Does anyone have a feel for how much difference the braided-steel brake lines make?

I may take on the bleeding job myself.

Thanks, again.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I've got braided steel on all my cars and bikes, comes from experience on the track. It's a huge difference when you are really pushing the brakes, makes for better feel. But for everyday use, rubber lines will not flex enough to cause mushy brakes. I'd bleed the system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts