Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, my wife took her 2008 Titan around back to the barn to unload some stuff, and later that evening when she was ready to come back to the house, it wouldn't start. She thought that she might have left the interior lights on, so I replaced the battery today. But no success.

When I turn the key, I hear a faint click, and the instruments go off for a moment till I release the key. The strange thing is that the interior lights aren't working (coincidence?) - but everything else seems to be, other than the stupid thing won't crank.

I've cleaned the battery terminals, and have had someone turn the key while I tap on the battery terminals.

To summarize:
- Engine doesn't crank (faint click when turned)
- Interior lights don't work
- Instrument panel DOES light up and instruments work
- New battery and clean terminals

any ideas?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Check the fuses on the +battery cable.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Are those the five things about 1/2" long and 1/4" wide that are near the end of the + battery cable? How do I remove them to check them?
is the starter turning over or just clicking when you turn the key? Could be the starter if it's not turning over. Try tapping on the starter.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Sounds like you aren't getting enough amps to the starter.
I have seen dead batteries, straight off the shelf at the parts stores.

Try jumping it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you aren't getting enough amps to the starter.
I have seen dead batteries, straight off the shelf at the parts stores.

Try jumping it.
I'm sorry, I neglected to make note that I had indeed tried to jump start it, but still nothing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is the starter turning over or just clicking when you turn the key? Could be the starter if it's not turning over. Try tapping on the starter.
No, I can't hear the starter making any sound at all - the only sound is a soft click, sounds like a relay under the dash, when I turn the key.

·
Registered
506 Posts
No, I can't hear the starter making any sound at all - the only sound is a soft click, sounds like a relay under the dash, when I turn the key.
Another thing is to see if your dash reads the shaft is in park, It wasn't all the way in park once on mines and had that issue so I clicked in reverse then back to park and it started.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another thing is to see if your dash reads the shaft is in park, It wasn't all the way in park once on mines and had that issue so I clicked in reverse then back to park and it started.
That's a good suggestion, and I was hoping that this was the problem, but the shifter won't go out of "park" - I'm going to go out and try that again, though - that would seem to be one of the top reasons for this happening - But it doesn't explain that the interior lights aren't working -

·
Registered
506 Posts
That's a good suggestion, and I was hoping that this was the problem, but the shifter won't go out of "park" - I'm going to go out and try that again, though - that would seem to be one of the top reasons for this happening - But it doesn't explain that the interior lights aren't working -
Yeah it does sound like an electrical issue, if I could think of anything else I'll shoot you something. Oh there's also two black fuse compartments behind the battery, did you check any of those?

·
Premium Member
58,765 Posts
Check where the negative cable attaches to the engine. It sounds like you have a bad ground.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah it does sound like an electrical issue, if I could think of anything else I'll shoot you something. Oh there's also two black fuse compartments behind the battery, did you check any of those?
Thanks, Joel - I did see the two fuse compartments, but could only figure out how to open the one closest to the front of the engine - the back one is almost inaccessible -

I had a wrecker come out yesterday to take the truck to my mechanic and he messed around with the fuses some, but didn't find anything. He suggested that we not take it to a local mechanic because it might void the 60k power train warranty. I wasn't home when he came and my wife let him leave without the truck, but I doubt very seriously that this is a power train problem, so I had it towed later yesterday afternoon. I'll let you guys know what they find.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Check where the negative cable attaches to the engine. It sounds like you have a bad ground.
You know, I woke up in the middle of the night thinking that maybe that could be the problem - it's not something that I could readily see, and I didn't think of it. Unfortunately, I've already had the truck towed to my mechanic - I'll let you know what he finds out - he's pretty honest, so I doubt that he'd try to hose me on a battery cable problem :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, this isn't good. My usual mechanic said that it appears that the "lockout" circuit is keeping the truck from starting. He said that he'd see if he could figure out how to unlock it, but after spending most of the day working on it, he said that he thinks it may be the computer. Which means that we may be looking at selling the stupid truck for scrap - it's got about 50,000 miles on it, and the repairs - if it is indeed the computer - may well be more than we can afford. We're going to have the truck towed to the nearest dealer (about 50 miles away) tomorrow and see what they think. Bummer...

·
Premium Member
46,448 Posts
Well its in the nissan techs hands, good luck but i wouldnt worry, most likely you either have a bad ground, bad relay or blown fuse...but if I had to guess your starter solenoid is bad...did your mechanic say he pulled it and tested it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well its in the nissan techs hands, good luck but i wouldnt worry, most likely you either have a bad ground, bad relay or blown fuse...but if I had to guess your starter solenoid is bad...did your mechanic say he pulled it and tested it?
I really don't know whether he pulled the starter. I assumed that they traced the DC+ to the starter and found none. I was looking on the web this evening and noticed that there's an 'anti-theft' relay located under the passenger's seat. I'm gonna ask if they checked to be sure nobody kicked a plug out of that thing - the service mgr at the dealership doesn't feel like it's anything major, but it's not his money! :) I guess we'll see tomorrow...

·
Registered
506 Posts
I hope you find out the problem, I'll be mad as hell.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hope you find out the problem, I'll be mad as hell.
Well, I just picked up the truck at the Nissan dealer. What they found has me very confused: apparently there were fuses in the fuse block where fuses don't go - one of them may have been causing a problem, but the main problem was a broken/burned wire from the fuse box. While I have no idea who might have installed fuses in places where fuses don't belong, he said that sometimes if a a car is jump started with the polarity reversed, some stuff can get toasted. It may have happened that this occurred sometime in the past, and just now the wire actually failed. I never messed with the fuses (hell, I couldn't figure out how to get the stupid fuse box open!) :) But I once had a car that had 'spare' fuses in unused fuse slots, so maybe the previous owner did that to store his spare fuses - I just don't know. I do know that the previous owner wasn't a guy who knew anything about electronics, etc, so I really doubt that he did it. The first mechanic who looked at the truck (my local guy) may have done it, but if that's the case, it's not what caused the truck to not start, since it wasn't starting before I even took it to him.

All in all, very strange, but the good news is that the Nissan dealer got right on it, had it fixed in just a few hours, and only charged me $105 to fix it. I was pretty surprised, but even if it took them ten minutes to fix the problem, $105 is a very reasonable amount, I think.

I just hope it doesn't happen again! Thanks to everyone who was trying to help me figure this out - it's a real poser!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well, I just picked up the truck at the Nissan dealer. What they found has me very confused: apparently there were fuses in the fuse block where fuses don't go - one of them may have been causing a problem, but the main problem was a broken/burned wire from the fuse box. While I have no idea who might have installed fuses in places where fuses don't belong, he said that sometimes if a a car is jump started with the polarity reversed, some stuff can get toasted. It may have happened that this occurred sometime in the past, and just now the wire actually failed. I never messed with the fuses (hell, I couldn't figure out how to get the stupid fuse box open!) :) But I once had a car that had 'spare' fuses in unused fuse slots, so maybe the previous owner did that to store his spare fuses - I just don't know. I do know that the previous owner wasn't a guy who knew anything about electronics, etc, so I really doubt that he did it. The first mechanic who looked at the truck (my local guy) may have done it, but if that's the case, it's not what caused the truck to not start, since it wasn't starting before I even took it to him.

All in all, very strange, but the good news is that the Nissan dealer got right on it, had it fixed in just a few hours, and only charged me $105 to fix it. I was pretty surprised, but even if it took them ten minutes to fix the problem, $105 is a very reasonable amount, I think.

I just hope it doesn't happen again! Thanks to everyone who was trying to help me figure this out - it's a real poser!
Man, I know you drunk a cold one after this!! It's good you got it resolved, it just don't sound right with the fuses but hey youre on the road again. And you are welcome.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts