Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I want to say I FREAKING LOVE MY TRUCK, or at least, I did until recently.

The truck is a 2008 Titan 4x4 with appx 330k km dual exhaust. We hollowed out the cats a few years back. Recently my husband borrowed it to go pick up a small dump trailer. The drive there was about 45 minutes, and he had zero problems.

Once he hooked up to the trailer and left the compound he didn’t notice any issues until he went to accelerate on the highway. It says it cut rpm if he tried to step on it and seemed to rev limit like he hit the governor at 2500rpm. He was able to achieve highway speeds eventually but was unable to push the rpm past 2500. Turned the truck off and scanned it. Scanner found the following codes: P2A00, P0057, P0101.

They also cleaned the MAF sensor and also cleared the codes to see if the same ones would keep popping up. Now the truck will start but will only run for 10 sec before it dies, the gas petal does absolutely nothing and smells like gas is leaking from the exhaust (almost like it's been flooded).

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on what the issue is? I tried googling and some of these codes come up as a problem for more than one thing. Please help!! I really need my truck back!

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Truck is in limp mode for some reason. Sounds like (from the codes) it's getting bad fuel/air info from the O2 sensors. Could be fuel pump (check the pressure with a mechanical gauge at idle and under load), could be MAF, could be compression (check compression and do a leak-down test), or could be other things. Odd that it happened when he went to get a dump trailer, which are notoriously heavier than people think. Might be a blown head gasket or something crazy. Start with the basics and work your way to the answer(s).

Reactions: Warhammer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Truck is in love mode for some reason. Sounds like (from the codes) it's getting bad fuel/air info from the O2 sensors. Could be fuel pump (check the pressure with a mechanical gauge at idle and under load), could be MAF, could be compression (check compression and do a leak-down test), or could be other things. Odd that it happened when he went to get a dump trailer, which are notoriously heavier than people think. Might be a blown head gasket or something crazy. Start with the basics and work your way to the answer(s).
Normally I would agree about the dump trailer, but this isn't our first time towing (long line of trucker's kids so we know how to stay safe and never tow more than the vehicle is recommended for. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but how do you test it under load if it won't run long enough. No embelishment, the truck starts fine but will run for maybe 3 seconds. As for testing the fuel pressure, do we not have to drop the tank to do this?

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Well, first things first. Check the fuel pressure at the rail and see what it is with just the key on. Might be a bad fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
2013 Nissan Titan pro 4x
315 Posts
yes i think it is the fuel pump as well
my 06 did the same thing when my pump went bad

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,859 Posts
there should be a Schrader valve on the fuel rail on the engine somewhere to hook a fuel gage to. make sure you get a fuel injected rated gage though

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Actually, the Titan doesn't have a Schrader valve. There is a place where one can be temporarily installed to check fuel pressure. Not sure what Nissan was thinking, but thats how they designed it. Grab the factory service manual and you can see what you need and how to test it.

Reactions: busemans
1 - 7 of 7 Posts