Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 2009 Titan SE. The first night this fall that the temperature went below freezing, 27 degrees, it wouldn't start. As soon as the sun rose and the temp was above 40 degrees it started without a problem.
I added gas line antifreeze and the problem seems to have gone away. I know it's a pretty simple problem and fix but it's been at least 20 years since I had to add "dry gas" to a vehicle.and the temperature here regularly gets below freezing here every night from November till April.
Is this a common problem with the Titan? Should I add gas line antifreeze every time I fill up?

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
First I've heard of frozen gas in a Titan. Suspect ajef is right - water intrusion.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Do what you can to get the water out of your current tank, as well. There are chemicals you can pour in to cause it to evaporate better.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
One other thing to note - Titans are notoriously hard on batteries. When they go, there is usually very little warning. And random electrical weirdness is really the only sign I've ever seen. The no-crank in the cold might be your only warning. May not be the battery, but may be.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I live in Colorado and our nighttime temps go below freezing on a regular basis during fall and winter. No problems with starting, but dubyam is right: don't ignore your battery. When they start to go, malfunctions in cold temps are common. How old is yours? Life spans of 4-5 years is about all you get from a 12V battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The battery was replaced a few months ago. The weather is predicted to get cold again this weekend. Will see what happens. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had this issue with cold starts with both my Titan's and QX80 then would work fine when temp is warmer. It turned out to be bad solder connections on the IPDM module. Once fixed no more problem. But battery issue is common failure also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm thinking now that my cold start problem may be due to an underpowered battery. The battery is less than a year old but is rated at 575 CCA. Everything I've read indicates that a Titan replacement battery should be capable of at least 650 CCA. The temperature is supposed to be in the 20's tomorrow morning. If it doesn't start I'll try my jump starter. Has anyone had a similar issue?

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I haven't had that specific issue, but I can tell you the Titan is particularly sensitive to battery specs.

Reactions: n1ix
1 - 13 of 13 Posts