Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 with a little under 15000 miles on it. I love the truck but the last month i have noticed it is not as solid feeling as it was. It rocks a little now before feeling solid. Sometimes when i hit bumps the rear feels real wabilly ( it is only for a second or two) but i never did that before.

What should i look at or is that normal break in?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Crawl under it and check your transmission mount too. It is located above the frame cross-member right behind the transmission. The rubber part cracks on 4x4's. My last one only lasted 20K miles. I bought PRG traction bars to prevent anymore of it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i will check all that out shortly. If the shocks are bad already then i will be making them replace them under warranty. Should not be wearing out with less then 15 on them with mostly highway.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
i will check all that out shortly. If the shocks are bad already then i will be making them replace them under warranty. Should not be wearing out with less then 15 on them with mostly highway.
Shocks are bad when new. Get some decent shocks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a 2010 with a little under 15000 miles on it. I love the truck but the last month i have noticed it is not as solid feeling as it was. It rocks a little now before feeling solid. Sometimes when i hit bumps the rear feels real wabilly ( it is only for a second or two) but i never did that before.

What should i look at or is that normal break in?
I have a 2010 pro 4x also. I had the same issues with my truck. I had the same issue at stock. I got a 6in pro comp lift which relieved the rear from shaking while driving (not much tho). With the pro comp lift I got, I kept the front struts as rancho(stocks). The ride was horrible imo. I talked to greg at prg and ended up purchasing 5125 bilsteins for the rear ans 5100 bilsteins for the front. Waiting fire them to arrive. I think that should smooth things out a bit. Well see.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I've had 2 Titans with the Ranchos and they're just fine. I don't know what's meant by "It rocks a little now before feeling solid", but my 08 Pro 4X now had 27k heavy towing miles on it and it's just like new. I don'toffroad with my truck though but I doubt the shocks are bad at only 15k...especially if it all of a sudden doesn't feel right. Make sure your tire pressures are right as well.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I've had 2 Titans with the Ranchos and they're just fine. I don't know what's meant by "It rocks a little now before feeling solid", but my 08 Pro 4X now had 27k heavy towing miles on it and it's just like new. I don'toffroad with my truck though but I doubt the shocks are bad at only 15k...especially if it all of a sudden doesn't feel right. Make sure your tire pressures are right as well.
Here's what Greg said about the stock shocks ... from what he says, "weeks", they should be pretty much hosed by 15K miles.
PrerunnerGreg said:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Richie- you will love it man!
To the OP pony up ~400 bucks and do 5100s you will thank us, even if you can get stock ones free

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
are they hard to change out yourself? or do i need to take them somewhere? what are the different options for the 5100.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
Rear shocks on a pretty new truck, should be pretty easy!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
7 years and two Titans. He's FOS. Why wouldn't he say that....look what he does for a living!
There have been countless cases of Greg's customers being told by him that they don't need to purchase something, or told about a less expensive alternative.

For example, when the Total Chaos UCA's first became available, I think they were around $550 at that time, I asked him about them and he said I didn't need them with my DRE coilovers, because they were a stock replacement length. That could have been an easy sale ... all he would have had to say was that they were much stronger, and the stock ones would fail soon off road, but instead he said the stock ones are plenty strong. He went on to say it would be pointless to buy them. [Later on, as part of his 4x4 performance package, he added a 1" spacer, that did require the Chaos arms to avoid coil bucket contact].

So, anyway, I think you're way off base saying that he would say that about the Rancho shocks if he didn't observe this. Many other forum members have said their have gone bad quickly as well.

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
7 years and two Titans. He's FOS. Why wouldn't he say that....look what he does for a living!
Fyi my non rancho oem rear shocks were shot at 60000 or before but it was so bad when I took them off I could compress them by hand with no effort. So I think its prolly the fact that ur on pavement 98 percent of the time.

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using the auto guide app

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
There have been countless cases of Greg's customers being told by him that they don't need to purchase something, or told about a less expensive alternative.

For example, when the Total Chaos UCA's first became available, I think they were around $550 at that time, I asked him about them and he said I didn't need them with my DRE coilovers, because they were a stock replacement length. That could have been an easy sale ... all he would have had to say was that they were much stronger, and the stock ones would fail soon off road, but instead he said the stock ones are plenty strong. He went on to say it would be pointless to buy them. [Later on, as part of his 4x4 performance package, he added a 1" spacer, that did require the Chaos arms to avoid coil bucket contact].

So, anyway, I think you're way off base saying that he would say that about the Rancho shocks if he didn't observe this. Many other forum members have said their have gone bad quickly as well.
Maybe, but I'd bet I've driven a lot more miles than he has on more trucks than he has with those same "crappy" Ranchos. I don't know the guy...but his opinion certainly doesn't mirror my experience. And in my book, experience trumps opinion.

I will add though that I was making a point based on my experience and didn't mean to dis or offend anyone. I'm sure Greg is a fine guy.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Fyi my non rancho oem rear shocks were shot at 60000 or before but it was so bad when I took them off I could compress them by hand with no effort. So I think its prolly the fact that ur on pavement 98 percent of the time.

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using the auto guide app
60k miles is WAAY more than the 15k mentioned in an earlier post. No shock will usually last than long regardless of the brand.

·
Registered
51 Posts
With the pro comp lift I got, I kept the front struts as rancho(stocks). The ride was horrible imo. I talked to greg at prg and ended up purchasing 5125 bilsteins for the rear ans 5100 bilsteins for the front.
correct me if i'm wrong but i thought i remember reading somewhere that problems arose when pairing the bilsteins (in the front) with lift kits and it was not recommended that they be used. has this been proven untrue?

·
Registered
185 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong but i thought i remember reading somewhere that problems arose when pairing the bilsteins (in the front) with lift kits and it was not recommended that they be used. has this been proven untrue?
Well I hope that's not true...lol. I already made the purchase.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts