Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 TITAN PRO-4X 4x4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned, since new, and hope to keep, my 2010 Titan Pro-4x. Truck only has 105K miles and body and interior are great shape. I am having issues with road noise between 20-30 mph which gets louder until 60 or so when is uncomfortably noisy. At first I attributed the road noise to the tires (Toyo GT Open Country LT275/70R18), however, I finally crawled underneath to see what I could see. Much to my surprise there is a crack in the differential tube (not sure what to call it) that powers the passenger side wheel. The crack is on front and rear of casting right where it meets the flange. Diff is not leaking and 4WD works fine. Just changed the diff fluid and no metal particles were found, Appears the diff is OK except for the cracked tube. I am afraid if I continue to drive the truck the tube may break entirely and release the wheel and axle. Now, for the $2000.00+ question. What does everyone think re pulling the diff and having the casting welded? I believe it is aluminum so would have to have heli-arc weld done. There is an excellent welding shop near me and I trust their work. Would sure like to go that route rather than buying a new diff! Even a used one around here is about 1K plus shipping. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
6,217 Posts
Wow. Did it get banged on something? As long as they can weld it so it's flush still since it s me to be a mating surface

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
My take is you're asking for issues downrange having it welded. That's a tough request if even a very good welder.

·
Registered
2010 TITAN PRO-4X 4x4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its possible it happened jumping a curb head on too fast. My thoughts are to remove the diff and assess, then get opinion from welder. Hoping for option that allows a few more years without spending several thousand...

·
Registered
2010 TITAN PRO-4X 4x4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trying to detrmine front diff gear ratio for my 2010 titan pro-4x prior to purchasing a used front diff. My dealer could not give me an answer, however, parts counter guy entered my vin nbr and gave me the nissan part nbr for a new front diff (38500-8S11B) for my truck. Anyone out there know the gear ratio for this unit? BTW - new front diff from nissan $2366.41 before tax!

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
When you drive 70mph on the highway, what is your engine RPM? If it's right at 2k, you have 3.36 gears. Down at 1750, you have 2.94 gears.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Look on the snout of your rear diff for a white sticker. It will have a bar code and some numbers/letters on it. On that sticker (if it's still there and legible) the gear ratio is listed. Oddly, it's taken out to one additional significant digit, so instead of 3.36 it says 3.357 or some such.

If that doesn't work, teeth counts are the best option.

·
Registered
2010 TITAN PRO-4X 4x4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No sticker on rear. Did find paper sticker on axle tube, but completely illegible. I checked thru my papers and did find window sticker and posted below.
Note under mechanical section on left it states 5 speed auto trans with 3.357:1 final gear ratio! I presume therefire both front and rear diffs have to be 3.357 gear ratio also?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Yes, have to be the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts