Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I purchased my 2WD Flex Fuel 2010 Titan 9 months ago, it has never started on the first crank - it always starts on the 2nd crank. This is my "Home Depot" truck so it mostly get used for short trips. If I do drive the truck long enough to warm up, it may take 4-5 cranks before it starts. Recently the 2 cranks to start became 3-4. After replacing the relay in the IPDM, the truck began starting on the 1st crank. This was short lived, though and soon went back to 1-3 cranks before starting. Last week it would not start at all. I replaced the relay again and that worked for a day or so then it would not even crank - no response at all. I replaced the battery - no change. Everything works when you run the IPDM (Door switch 10X) self diagnostic . I bought a used IPDM and replaced it anyway, no change. No codes were showing, but I reset the ECU (5X on the Accelerator) and it started on the first crank after that. I turned it off and tried 4 more times in a row and it started on the first crank each time. The next morning I tried to crank it until the battery was almost dead and it wouldn't start. I replaced the Coolant Temp sensor - no change. The code reader now says 'Codes Found 0', but if I select 'Show Codes' it says 1/1 P0850. Upon inspecting the shift assembly I found a broken red wire coming from the manual shift button (that I have never used). I removed and replaced the shift assembly after fixing the broken wire. Once again the truck started on the first crank. It cranked successfully 3 or 4 times after that, then I almost ran the battery down trying to start it. It will crank, but will not start. I removed, disassembled, cleaned and reinstalled the ignition switch, no change. I'm pulling my hair out here and running out of options. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? The problem is not consistent, and renders the truck totally unreliable. The starter cranks strongly, and I would think if the fuel pump was bad I wouldn't be able to drive it around after it starts. What else is there? I'm wasting money and time trying possible fixes but nothing works. There is no security system, chip key or remote start. There is an aftermarket audio system that I installed myself, but it has been disconnected since I started having these issues. The battery cables are clean, there are no blown fuses or fusible links. Any insight or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Making assumptions for measurable things is never a good pathway. Test your fuel pressure at the rail. It is possible your fuel pump is failing. Additionally, check your compression and your spark plugs/coils. If plugs are fouled, you won't get good spark but you may also not get a good misfire indication, either.

Reactions: Jstreet

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Making assumptions for measurable things is never a good pathway. Test your fuel pressure at the rail. It is possible your fuel pump is failing. Additionally, check your compression and your spark plugs/coils. If plugs are fouled, you won't get good spark but you may also not get a good misfire indication, either.
Thank you - I'll take that advice. I'm no mechanic but I learn how to fix what I need to. Usually for me, if something doesn't work, it consistently doesn't work. This intermittent problem with no seemingly logical pattern is wearing me out.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I hate intermittent and hard to consistently reproduce problems!

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar issue. Same truck. Only happens in the winter months. Truck won't start. Cranks but won't start. Have to jump it or put battery charger on it for just a few min and it will start right up. Changed battery 2x. Change module on battery. Check cables. No idea why it does it only in the cold months.
Would love any feed back as well.

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
4,344 Posts
Probably cold solder joints in the ECU or some module

·
Registered
2009 Pro4x crew cab, 2014 Armada SV
33 Posts
I have a similar issue. Same truck. Only happens in the winter months. Truck won't start. Cranks but won't start. Have to jump it or put battery charger on it for just a few min and it will start right up. Changed battery 2x. Change module on battery. Check cables. No idea why it does it only in the cold months.
Would love any feed back as well.
Definitely cracked solder in the ECM. Here's a thread with more info and a workaround: 2011 no start on cold mornings

·
Registered
9 Posts
Broken and melted wires, especially above transmission and near exhaust pipes all the way to the tailgate. Also bad/dirty/loose grounds on frame and body. These are the most common reasons for loss of power, intermittent random electrical problems like speedometer cuts out randomly and no start but cranks! Don’t forget to check the ground point under windshield washer fluid reservoir… good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts