Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2010 Titan SE with the Value Truck Package. Installed the brake controller and have been towing my 27' TT for a year now. I have noticed that it still squats more than I would like. I am using a CURT WDH Part# 17002 and a friction anti-sway bar. How can I level my titan back out? Below are the specs on the trailer:

Base/Dry Vehicle Weight: 4675
Base/Dry Hitch Weight: 573
Base/Dry Axle Weight: 4102
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 7000

Have I got the height of the ball wrong? Is it too high or too low? The trailer looks as though its pretty level when hooked up.

What are my options?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
First off, never believe the manufactures advertised weights, they are too low...Those are for a trailer with zero options, no propane tanks or propane, no batteries, no A/c...

You options change as your truck use does...If the truck sits between towings, then you can add to the springs, but if used as a DD then airbags are worth looking at...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have to admit I am unfamiliar with the Curt brand of hitches, but are you putting enough tension on your spring bars? I have the 10K# Equal-i-zer hitch system and mine sits pretty good.

-Lab

·
Registered
14,135 Posts
just bag it.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
First off you need to take the whole rig to a certified scale & see what your weights are for the fron & rear axle of the truck & also the trailer axles. Then we can help you adjust the weight distibution hitch from there. You may need to put some more tension on the bars. That will help with the squat. With a 600LB tounge weight the truck shouldnt sqaut much with the WDH set up correctly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have to admit I am unfamiliar with the Curt brand of hitches, but are you putting enough tension on your spring bars? I have the 10K# Equal-i-zer hitch system and mine sits pretty good.

-Lab
I agree with Lab. Your rear axle weight seems very high but some adjustment on the spring bars should move some weight to the front axle and bring the back end up. Is the front end ride height higher or lower than the truck without the trailer attached?

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
You don't have it set up correctly..that's all. There's a reason the hitch portion that holds the ball tilts. Take it to a camper place to have them set it correctly if you're not sure how to do it or it won't sit right and, more importantly, won't ride right and can be unsafe. The head should be tilted enough so that when the bars are set, they are level with the trailer frame and the truck sits level. Also the camper should be level or slightly canted forward toward the truck. If you think it IS set up correctly, simply go up another link or two....which may require you to jack it up a bit more while doing.

If you do all that and the bars are not level and/or the truck still doesn't sit level, disconnect everything and loosen the two large bolts on the hitch and tilt the head outward a notch or two (there's a notched 2" plate at the top bolt). Now try and set it up again. This should put more leverage onto the trucks front wheels helping lift the rear. Once you get it set correctly, you're going to be shocked at how much better it tows and with a lot less sway. Hope that helps some.

Oh and be sure to do this all on LEVEL ground. Look at this setup. Notice its level and the truck has little to no squat.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...at-kind-fuel-economy-do-you-get-towing-2.html

Scroll down to colochoclabs pic on post #17.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts