Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m the original owner of this truck which has 121,000 miles and it hasn’t been anything other than stellar except for gas mileage. Now for the part that I need help with. For about three years now I’ve been dealing with the issue that sometimes the truck just won’t start on the first try. It has never left me stranded but sometimes it takes two or three turns to start. When this happens, I turn the key and nothing. No security alert, no starter click (which the starter has been replaced) but I have noticed that the battery voltage does drop during the attempt. I have also replaced the starter switch which hasn’t helped. I appreciate any advice to give me a little more piece of mind.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I changed the starter relay about a month ago and it didn't help. Thanks for for reply.
what about checking the battery terminals? I would start with the super basics but one possibility is a NATS issue. I had a NATS issue on my 350z but the difference is the car would crank over but not start. I dont know enough about the Titans NATS to say if it will let you turn the truck over or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about checking the battery terminals? I would start with the super basics but one possibility is a NATS issue. I had a NATS issue on my 350z but the difference is the car would crank over but not start. I dont know enough about the Titans NATS to say if it will let you turn the truck over or not.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was having a similar issue. Clean your ignition with electric lock cleaner and start using your spare key if you have one as at your mileage your main key might be a bit worn. Not quite sure where to buy that cleaner... I got a can from my neighbor who works on doors and locks for a living but I'm sure its around. But I haven't had a problem since in 4 years. Lots of nastiness came out of where the key goes when I sprayed it out. (Mine would crank but no start prior to cleaning... likely anti theft disabled the fuel pump). Its a cheap thing to try and it never hurts to clean stuff.

I also suspected my tailgate lock was broken around that same time but one day I had to use my spare and behold it unlocked the tailgate just fine. And I never had a starting problem ever again with the newer spare key.

If you look at the key for my 87 Suzuki Hatchback you will notice it's so worn that it barely resembles a key shape... clo ser to a strip of metal. It bamboozles me that it somehow still works.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was having a similar issue. Clean your ignition with electric lock cleaner and start using your spare key if you have one as at your mileage your main key might be a bit worn. Not quite sure where to buy that cleaner... I got a can from my neighbor who works on doors and locks for a living but I'm sure its around. But I haven't had a problem since in 4 years. Lots of nastiness came out of where the key goes when I sprayed it out. (Mine would crank but no start prior to cleaning... likely anti theft disabled the fuel pump). Its a cheap thing to try and it never hurts to clean stuff.

I also suspected my tailgate lock was broken around that same time but one day I had to use my spare and behold it unlocked the tailgate just fine. And I never had a starting problem ever again with the newer spare key.

If you look at the key for my 87 Suzuki Hatchback you will notice it's so worn that it barely resembles a key shape... clo ser to a strip of metal. It bamboozles me that it somehow still works.

Thank you I will try anything to resolve this issue.

·
Registered
145 Posts
In my case a dirty ignition cylinder and a worn key seemed to cause it to crank but not start. I gave it a bump of starting fluid while stranded way out in the oil patch one day and it actually got it running. So if you ever needed to steal a Nissan or having trouble with the chip key, just use some Bill Cosby in a can. I'm lucky the alarm didn't go off or something. Those anti theft systems can be boogers when something goes wrong with them. My neighbors land rover alarm goes off at all hours for no reason at all. All of the neighbors are about to have a intervention

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: I've cleaned the battery terminals and the ignition cylinder and it's starting like it's supposed to. Thank you all for the advice we'll see how long it lasts before it messes up.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Speaking as an owner of a 2011 Pro4X which I also bought and have owned since 2011, I'll only add that the Titan is terrible to foul battery terminals. I have to clean mine more often on the Titan than any of our other vehicles. I've started just checking and cleaning and applying dielectric grease at every oil change. That and a set of the little felt pads under the connectors seems to keep any corrosion issues which affect charging or electrical integrity down. I've not has starting issues but did see some quick battery drain while running the radio with the truck off a few times and that's what helped me discover the connection to corrosion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Speaking as an owner of a 2011 Pro4X which I also bought and have owned since 2011, I'll only add that the Titan is terrible to foul battery terminals. I have to clean mine more often on the Titan than any of our other vehicles. I've started just checking and cleaning and applying dielectric grease at every oil change. That and a set of the little felt pads under the connectors seems to keep any corrosion issues which affect charging or electrical integrity down. I've not has starting issues but did see some quick battery drain while running the radio with the truck off a few times and that's what helped me discover the connection to corrosion.
I agree, I've had to clean the terminals quite often until I started putting grease on mine too. Mine were pretty clean yesterday day but I figured that it couldn't hurt to clean them anyway.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
First time I cleaned mine I pulled the battery, made a baking soda slurry in a small bowl, and submerged the positive connector for about 20min, pulling and toothbrushing it every 2-3min. I was amazed how much crap was layered on it!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nissan OEM batteries for the Titan are JUNK. I've gone through 4 brand new Nissan batteries since 2014. One started leaking and rain water/spray washed the acid all over my front fender ruining the paint. I could have turned my last battery in when it died for a pro rated replacement, but I just switched over to an Optima that I snagged out of another vehicle. I can tell you that the starter sounds a heck of an lot healthier now.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Titans are, as a rule, tough in batteries. I've had several brands (a new one every three years or so, like clockwork) and all of them perform the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Titans are, as a rule, tough in batteries. I've had several brands (a new one every three years or so, like clockwork) and all of them perform the same.
Same here, this is my third Titan and they all eat batteries. Even my Maxima needed a new battery within the first two years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts