Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2011 Titan with about 175,000 miles on in. When I drive in heavy rain for 15-20 minutes the engine starts intermittently misfiring (at least this is what it feels like compared to previous vehicles I have had). It does not do this at any other time, just in heavy rain. The check engine light has not come on and I have checked the computer, with a scanner, for codes. There are no codes stored. Also, I had all of the spark plugs changed about two months ago. Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any idea what might be causing it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it seems to be happening when flooring it, taking off from a stop, or trying hills, I know what it is. It’s wheelslip, coupled with traction control.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stock intake? (does it have a cold air intake)

how long have you had the truck?

did it do this before you had the spark plugs changed?

It does have the stock intake. I have had the truck about three years. I have put about 45,000 miles on it. It did this once before I had the plugs changed. It had been running a little rough in general. It ran a lot smoother after changing the plugs. I actually thought the new plugs had fixed it. But I was on about a 7 hour road trip this past week and drove through several heavy downpours and it started again. The truck idles super smooth and runs smooth it just starts misfiring when driving in heavy rain.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Do you have wheel well liners? If not, it's possible water is getting into the intake causing it to sputter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have wheel well liners? If not, it's possible water is getting into the intake causing it to sputter.

Yes, I do have them. This has also just started happening in the past few months. I have owned the truck about three years.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I'm still thinking moisture somewhere, especially because you say it only happens when raining.

·
Premium Member
18,936 Posts
It could be an electric connector problem. Water is getting into a connector and grounding out. Squirt dielectric grease in any connector that looks like it could get hit by water splashing up from the tires.

My Titan never did this. See my avatar picture. My Titan liked water as much as a Black Lab does.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
It could be an electric connector problem. Water is getting into a connector and grounding out. Squirt dielectric grease in any connector that looks like it could get hit by water splashing up from the tires.

My Titan never did this. See my avatar picture. My Titan liked water as much as a Black Lab does.
I've only ever had an issue like this when I ran without my wheel well liners. I got water into my air filter, which then got sucked into the intake on hard acceleration causing it to sputter.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yep water hitting either a wire or getting into the intake. Is the air cover on right itsvreal easy to think you have it on right when it’s not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to give an update. I took the truck to a local shop. They ended up finding two failing ignition coils. They replaced them. Hopefully I won’t have anymore problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
johngb
Nissan Titan Forum
Nissan Titan Talk Forum is a community for truck owners to discuss the Titan Cummins, Warrior, Midnight Edition and more!
Full Forum Listing