Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, first post here. Lots of great helpful information. I was able to purchase a 2011 Nissan Titan Pro-4X that was garage kept and only driven occasionally as the previous owner had a work provided vehicle.

I'm really trying to decide what preventative maintenance items I should budget for and consider knowing the common failure points discussed on this forum. Since number of driven miles is the metric I typically see on this site, I'm not sure of when I should be expecting to deal with certain items.

I'm going to be installing a rear axle diff breather kit, but that's an extremely easy and inexpensive preventative mod. So far no apparent axle seal issues on my 2011 Pro-4x.

What should I be planning in regards to the exhaust manifold and radiator? I'm in Colorado, so I'm hesitant to bypass the radiator and install a dedicated transmission only cooler. I would tend to prefer installing an all aluminum radiator, but should I be considering that on a 2011 at 35k miles?

Are there any benefits of the Pro-4x package on the 2011 Titan that will mitigate any of the more common known issues?

I appreciate all of the posts that I've been able to read so far!

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
5,582 Posts
welcome to the club!!

i would do the aluminum radiator and it should have a cooler in it already. than you don;t have to worry about the external cooler for a while.

the point of hte external is because the regular radiators on nissan and toyota and some others would corroded through the solder at the tube connections and mix the fluids which would burn out the transmissions. its a problem on a bunch of manufacturers though and talked about on lots of forums. i found out about it while researching toyota t100s and forerunners. its called the strawberry milkshake of death because the transmission fluid turns a light pinkish from water being mixed into it. that is why you separate the systems.

at least if the radiator leaks after that, it just leaks and you see your temp climbing versus suddenly your transmission stops shifting and you are trying to find a good used transmission to swap in

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply! I purchased the Stillen 3-core radiator, but I'm wondering if that was a mistake. It seems like Stillen has more fitment issues than the CSF radiator. Is that the general consensus? It also seems like Mishimoto has a new drop-in radiator for the 04-15 Titan, but I don't see any mention of it on here. Does anyone have experience with the Mishimoto? Should I shift course and go for the CSF radiator over the Stillen 3-core?

Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Excellent find and purchase.

I'm running my 2012 Pro4x since new on the lot as the daily driver. No rear axle breather kit, no replacement radiator, and has its original headers. I don't tow with it and its been the best truck I've owned as far as dependability.

140,000 trouble free miles with only routine maintenance and regularly draining/flushing/filling fluids.

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
5,582 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I purchased the Stillen 3-core radiator, but I'm wondering if that was a mistake. It seems like Stillen has more fitment issues than the CSF radiator. Is that the general consensus? It also seems like Mishimoto has a new drop-in radiator for the 04-15 Titan, but I don't see any mention of it on here. Does anyone have experience with the Mishimoto? Should I shift course and go for the CSF radiator over the Stillen 3-core?

Thanks!
I am not sure on any of the brands you listed but my son uses mishimoto on his sports cars and we have never had fitment issues

1 - 6 of 6 Posts