Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey EVerybody,

I rarely post but do enjoying reading a lot of the threads...

I am about to hit 150,000 miles on my 2005 Titan and have been debating if i should trade it in for a new Titan or new Ram.

I have never driven or been in the new Rams but my neighbor got a Ram 6 months ago and is in love with it. I will admit, i am a fan of the design...

Please dont hate... i own a truck mostly for the room (6'3") and occasionally have stuff in the bed. Although i do plan on buying a lil boat this summer for the lake....

For all you guys that know trucks and what not, i would appreciate any insight that you have on the 2. I have read plenty of magazine reviews etc... but appreciate any input...

Thanks in advance and Happy 4th everyone!!!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I am in the same pickle. Have been a dodge guy my whole life but my dad gave me his titan when he bought his 2010 so I couldnt complain. The big thing is two similarly equipped trucks, the titan will be about 5k less on the sticker price. I'm thinking of moving over to a dodge crew cab, if not a 2500 cummins, then a laramie longhorn 1500 crew. sucks the beds are so short on crew cabs.

take both trucks for test drives (the new titans drive a whole world different than the 04-07), see what you like better and go from there price-wise

post pics of whatever you end up getting

·
Vendor
7,924 Posts
A friend of mine just got a 2011 laramie and I admit it is nice and has all the bells and whistles but its still a dodge and imo none of the domestics compare to the titan and tundra. I think the quality is much better with the titan even though it may not be equipped with the luxuries that the others offer.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Take a drive in a Ford Ecoboost. A buddy of mine has one and is rides really well. Get's good mpg's too.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I'm 6'8" and I know what you mean by the room, The Ram is the one truck that just doesn't fit me, the pedals are to close for comfort, Maybe they just need to offer a seat that goes back farther but it just doesn't work for me, the Titan and F-150 offer the most room of all the trucks at least for the driver.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Im 6' 7" and i hear ya on room too. Im comfortable in my titan but not my moms armada. I like my dads f350 ps cause it actually feels like its the right size for a guy my height
.. but its slow as shieeet. The titan fits me fine though i just have to have the seat all the way back lol.

-Dave

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan to take test drives over the next 2 weeks and go from there. I will add the F150 ecoboost to the list.

I was unaware that the Titan changed much other than the brakes from 04 - 07. Although the only thing that kills me about getting the 2011 SL titan is that i feel like i am looking at my 05 Titan. I like that the Ram has a new design and a design that i actually like. I was blown away by the interior on my neighbors Ram. I always hear horror stories about the Ram tranny so i hope they solved it for the new generation...

With 150k miles on my titan the only issue i had was a blown radiator at 110k miles. And i drive my Titan hard. i am extremely impressed withe reliability and worry free maintenance i have had with the Titan so it is a big plus for considering a 2011 titan.

I will post pics of what i come home with : )

PS: For a guy that does 90% of his driving on highways and rarely goes off road, is it better to go with the SL? The Nissan dealer in my area has a Pro model on the ramps and it is done up niiiiiiiice.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I am a member of dodgetalk and I can tell you the guys over there complain about how the dodge ram tows it lugs down due to poor gearing in the trans. I also belive this because I had a 03 hemi it has the same trans as the 2011's do. Dont, belive all the hype of the new 2012 ram with a 6speed all it is is a reprogramed 54fre the same one they have always had. If you dont belive me go to dodgetalk and look. I love my titan and the gearing for the titan is the best for the 5 speed it is.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I wouldn't mind having a new PW ..

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Is it me, or are even the new Rams backseats small. All of their crew cabs just seem to have a really small back door compared to the Titan. Now the Mega cab, that's a nice looking rig in my opinion. I would definitely check out the ECo-boost Ford. Maybe the crew cab chevy with the 6.0 liter. I think they call it the Vortec Max. Not sure if they even still offer that "model", but the 6.0 is a nice engine. If only they offered the Power Wagon with the cummins. That would be a keeper for sure IMO.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Gusman is totally right. The new Titans drive night and day better than the 04-07 range Titans do. Don't get me wrong, I had an 04 for 7 years and LOVED that truck, but Nissan did do their homework in making the new T's a much smoother, more comfortable ride. I put 235K miles on my 04 and never had any big issues with the truck. I liked it so much that I traded it in for a 2011 SV. Good luck with your new search man!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I drove both new when I was shopping. Honestly they're all pretty damn good. The Ram has the smoothest ride (coil sprung rear!), nicest interior (in higher level trims) and those Hemis are sweet. The Ford has a cavernous interior and is the real workhorse of the group. The Titan handles best when empty and is the cheapest (in the trims I was shopping). If you don't do heavy work, try the Chevy Avalanche. It does 85% of the work of a full size but drives much nicer when unloaded and has a really nice interior. It drives like an SUV. Pretty much any pickup will ride harder than an SUV owing to the leaf springs and two box frame structure; the Avalanche does away with both of those.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I just made the same choice that is facing you. I had 141000 miles on my 05 titan and it was time for a change. I know what you mean about feeling like you are buying your 05 again. I like the looks of the new dodge but undernieth all the fancy sheetmetal its still a dodge and I just couldn't make myself do that. What I ended up buying was a long bed 4x4 frontier. I had always wanted a 4x4 but couldn't justify the horrible gas mileage that came with it on a titan. It took a about a week to get used to the smaller size and decidedly less storage but now I am loving it. I donlt have to hunt for a large parking place and I can justify taking the truck on trips instead of the juke because It gets over 20mpg on road trips even being 4x4. I wish you luck with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
over the weekend i drove the new 2011 Ram Laramie crew cab and all i can is wow. Beautiful ride and beautiful truck inside and out. Definitely has some nice features. Not sure what is going on at this dealer or if he thought he saw a SUCKER sign on my forehead but they were not willing to deal. I did the walk out and the manager called my cell a few hours later asking me to come back. I havent returned his call or to the dealer. Besides i still wanna test drive the 2011 Titan.

Thanks for the input guys. I should note that i can never do any GM/Chevy product. No matter how sweet the deal is. Their vehicles just dont do anything for me.

When i bought my titan back in the day, the dealer talked me out of the Frontier which was my original option. He stated i would never see the MPGs. I am shocked when i read that guys are getting 20+. I really like the new Frontier with long bed. Sweet truck. WHen i head to Nissan i will definitely check out the Frontier again.

I have a new dilemma. A client of mine cannot pay his balance and offered me "long term payments" or he would sign over his 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero (v6) convertible in place of his debt. He came by with it yesterday to present this offer and it is a sweet ride and I actually felt comfortable in it with my height. If i accept his car as payment i may just keep my titan and use it less. Anyone here have any experiences with Saab? the 2.8 Turbo v6? The car is a cream puff...

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I have a new dilemma. A client of mine cannot pay his balance and offered me "long term payments" or he would sign over his 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero (v6) convertible in place of his debt. He came by with it yesterday to present this offer and it is a sweet ride and I actually felt comfortable in it with my height. If i accept his car as payment i may just keep my titan and use it less. Anyone here have any experiences with Saab? the 2.8 Turbo v6? The car is a cream puff...
You might call the dealer and ask for the maintenance schedule w/ prices. The Titan is actually pretty low maintenance w/ no timing belt to change and easy access long life plugs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You might call the dealer and ask for the maintenance schedule w/ prices. The Titan is actually pretty low maintenance w/ no timing belt to change and easy access long life plugs.
thanks for the idea. Called local Saab and its not bad. This car has about 40k miles and has always been serviced. Just had a 30k mile service done. The rep told me other than oil it should be fine till 60/70k miles and at that time to do the chain...

I may go this route. Going to meetup with him next weekend and drive it a bit.

My titan is paid for and solid so i guess it wouldnt hurt to keep her and move forward with some additional mods.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
they didnt give saabs the nickname slobs for nothing. good luck

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
lol yea i know. i dated a chic years ago that had a 2001 saab with the 2.0T..

Your Titan is hot. Very nice
hah yes my x had the exact same car. alarm would go off as it pleased, thing was just a toilet haha. But Im sure there's duds among them like anything, just gotta get lucky.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts