Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to track down a new issue. I've owned this 2012 Armada (platinum edition if that matters) for the last two months, just hit 120k miles. Towed with it from Florida to Texas and back with zero issues.
Today, while sitting in the same spot for about 10-15 minutes I noticed the trans temp gauge was about to hit max hot. I put the Armada in park while I was waiting and the temps dropped to normal levels almost immediately. Put the vehicle back in drive and temps started to rise again almost a minute later.
Zero issues with engine temps or transmission temps while driving. Should I just replace the radiator or look into changing the fluid in the trans?

·
Premium Member
20,426 Posts
I think you may have a problem inside the transmission. As I recall, there is a pump in there.

Check the fluid level in the transmission, but I think that's a long shot. If the clutch fan isn't kicking in then not enough air is being drawn across the transmission cooler. Cheap things to check:
  • With the engine at operating temperature, try to turn the fan. If it turns easily then it points to the clutch on the fan being bad.
  • Inspect the radiator and A/C condenser for blockages with dirt or other debris in the fins. You can't see the transmission cooler because it is sandwiched between the radiator and condenser. That's how it was on my '07.
  • When was the transmission fluid last changed? What is the color of the transmission fluid? It should be a transparent pink/strawberry color and not smell burnt.

Reactions: K_Sleek

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you may have a problem inside the transmission. As I recall, there is a pump in there.

Check the fluid level in the transmission, but I think that's a long shot. If the clutch fan isn't kicking in then not enough air is being drawn across the transmission cooler. Cheap things to check:
  • With the engine at operating temperature, try to turn the fan. If it turns easily then it points to the clutch on the fan being bad.
  • Inspect the radiator and A/C condenser for blockages with dirt or other debris in the fins. You can't see the transmission cooler because it is sandwiched between the radiator and condenser. That's how it was on my '07.
  • When was the transmission fluid last changed? What is the color of the transmission fluid? It should be a transparent pink/strawberry color and not smell burnt.
I forgot to update my post last night, but after reading some more I went out and checked the fan clutch and it turns with almost NO resistance when the vehicle is at operating temp. Changing that out first and then going to see how things are doing temp wise.

Checked the trans fluid too and it was the light pink color as you described, filled to the proper level and no burnt smell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts