Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Past year the dirt collecting little storage box behind the rear wheel started popping open on its own. Several drivers would flag me to tell me the door was hanging open. Really had to slam it closed. Put some high quality penetrating oil in the lock mechanism which seems to fix the problem.

Fast forward to August. I keep a small tool box and jumper cables in there, and yesterday I tried to pop it open. Key turns to unlock it, no binding, but the door won't open. Tried banging on it, pulling on it from the wheel well, nothing.

Any suggestions how to get this to open?

Was never a fan of this storage box. All is does is collect tons of dirt, and anything in there that isn't brass or stainless rusts like crazy. To add insult to injury, this past winter I noticed rust beginning to bubble on this storage door, so yesterday I sanded the door, taped it off, and gave it a couple coats of rattle can bedliner. Storage box was a nice idea poorly executed in design.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So solved this problem. Took a 4 lb. rubber mallet, and with the key turned to unlock, rapped the lock area. Dropped right open.

These storage cabinets are nothing but dirt collectors. Used some penetrant and sprayed the lock mechanism down, wiped what I could reach with a paper towel. Still sticky, but its working now.

Need to disassemble the lock and soak / deep clean it.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
357 Posts
It is an odd spot, that's for sure. Reminds me of the old ford ones in front of the rear wheels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts