Nissan Titan Forum banner

2012 SV 4x4, slipping out of drive

1K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Dmayervermont 
#1 ·
My 2012 Titan slipped out of gear once after I backed out of a space, then again when my son was pulling out of a parking space and finally when I was driving slowly through a parking lot. Minutes later it went click click click click click click click clunk and slipped out again. Now it will maybe go a few feet forward only, but I can drive it backwards. Does anyone have any idea what this may be? Of course I'm hoping it doesn't mean a new transmission, but mostly I'm looking for input from somebody that may have experienced this too. 209,000 miles. Just bought it so history is unknown

#2 ·
Sounds like it's either low on fluid or it's toast. Maybe both. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You might get by with just a new valve body, but that's not a guarantee. Check your fluid and check the hoses on the bottom of the radiator to be sure they're not spewing it out.

#3 ·
Thank you! I'm off for a couple days so my first action what's going to be check the transmission fluid. And possibly put the rear end up on jack stands if it was real low and put it into gear again or have my son put it into gear while I watch and listen from underneath to see where that click click click clunk noise is coming from if it does then again. Appreciate your input I've heard it said a well-defined problem is a problem half solved, so right now I'm trying to get a better definition of what the heck is going on.

#4 ·
I would not crank the truck again until I was in a position to verify the trans fluid is full, and had already verified the hoses at the bottom of the radiator are not leaking.

#5 ·
No leaks seen. I got a gallon of Valvoline Maxlife and used about 1 1/2 quarts then drove it slowly around the area...maybe 1/2 mile. So far it seems okay, but it's guess I'm a little more gun shy about going farther. I don't really understand how 1 1/2 quarts could mean the difference between working and not working. So far no clicks, no clunks and stayed in drive.

#6 ·
I was just watching videos on how to change the tranny fluid. It shows a filter/screen and several magnetic areas. It would be good to get a look at the old fluid, magnets and screen to see if there are any pieces of metal that might give me a clue about the conditions inside the transmission.
Do you recommend that I do this?

#7 ·
If your trans was low, there has to be a reason. I'd strongly consider doing a full check underneath, and confirming there is no leak anywhere. I'd also take a look at the fluid on your dipstick and see what it looks like. If it's red (like the fluid you just added) you may be looking at someone changing it prior to the sale but not getting it full enough. If it's burnt smelling or it looks much darker than the new stuff you added, drain the pan (there's a plug), drop the pan, replace the screen and clean the magnet, replace the pan and refill with trans fluid. Then disconnect the return line coming from the trans cooler to the trans (disconnect the rubber line from the metal return line right at the passenger front of the motor - but be sure you disconnect the return line, not the feed line) and crank the truck to drain the fluid into a bucket. It helps if you mark the bucket first for quarts. As you get a quart out, shut off the motor and add a quart through the dipstick tube. Keep doing this for about 8-9qts. When the fluid coming out changes to bright red from the darker "old" fluid look, you've hit new, clean fluid, and your entire system is changed out, and you're done. Only other thing I'd say is swap the clamps on the trans hoses for worm clamps or fuel injection clamps, and go ahead and replace the rubber hoses while you're in there.

And, to answer the other question, yes, being a quart and change low will cause issues with the Titan. Hope you caught it in time to not do any damage.

#8 ·
No signs of leaks. I did a drain and fill with filter change. No signs of any pieces of metal just a very small amount of very fine black sludge on the magnets and at bottom of the pan.
Transmission is working good now BUT the old transmission fluid looked purple on my white rags and on my drip pan.
This trucks history is unknown. I just got it a few weeks ago at 209000 miles.
Is the purple a sign of something that I should be concerned about?
The last bit of fluid from my drain pan I am going to put in a glass and try to post a picture of it.

#9 ·
The color could be a function of age of the fluid, or it could just be a reflection of the original color of whatever the last owner used to refill the trans. If you have no leaks and you have good function, I'd just keep a check on it (I check my trans fluid lines every oil change, and check my fluid every month or two) and send it! Glad you got it resolved for now. If it goes bad on you, you can put a new trans in as long as the motor is sound, and run her a long time. There are guys on this forum with 300K+ on their Titans. 209K is high but not done if well cared for.

#11 ·
I am attaching pictures of the fluid I removed. Apparently it only gets purple when exposed to the sun. One pic has a standard brown paper bag behind it with the fluid on a white paper towel.
It is still driving fine so far, but I just had a check engine light come on for a different issue. I will do a separate post about that.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.