Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2012 titan. Drove the truck over the weekend with no problems at all. Next morning was cold outside so I went to start it and let it warm up and it wouldn't start. Checked everything. I'm not getting spark at all. I have changed crank and cam sensors. Changed the ipdm box and all the relays and fuses. Still not getting any spark. I have 12 volts to the coils but still no spark. Any help please?

·
Registered
2009 Pro4x crew cab, 2014 Armada SV
33 Posts
Cracked solder joints in the ECM, resulting in no injector pulse. Next time it happens, try jumping it from a booster pack or another vehicle - I bet it will fire right up. Only solution is a replacement ECM - I went with on for $500 from Flagship One, pre-programmed to your VIN and easy(ish) to install. I struggled for two winters with this same problem in my 2009, the new ECM fixed the issue. Seems to be most common in 2009-2012 vehicles. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cracked solder joints in the ECM, resulting in no injector pulse. Next time it happens, try jumping it from a booster pack or another vehicle - I bet it will fire right up. Only solution is a replacement ECM - I went with on for $500 from Flagship One, pre-programmed to your VIN and easy(ish) to install. I struggled for two winters with this same problem in my 2009, the new ECM fixed the issue. Seems to be most common in 2009-2012 vehicles. Good luck!
It still doesn't get spark jumping it. It's been down for 2 weeks now and have dumped little over 1000 in it

·
Registered
2009 Pro4x crew cab, 2014 Armada SV
33 Posts
Sorry for your troubles - I would find a good local tech to put a scope on it before throwing any more parts at the problem. It could be a failed ECM, a break in a wiring harness, bad new parts (did you buy OEM cam and crank sensors?), bad grounds, etc. Is it cold all day where you live? One thing to try is warming up the ECM - put a hair dryer on it for while, then connect a battery booster and see if it fires.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Stupid question, does it turn over with the starter but won’t actually start? I’m assuming yes, because you said you saw no spark. It maybe a vats issue, my 350z has a similar issue. The car would turn over but not actually fire, no weird lights on the dash or anything.
Do you have another key to try?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check wiring. Start at the battery and make sure your cables aren’t corroded under the insulation really bad. After making sure those cables are good, start checking for broken/melted wires especially above transmission and near exhaust. Last go through and clean the body and frame ground points. There is a grounding point under the windshield washer fluid bottle, make sure you check that one too. Clean with brake cleaner and a nylon brush, then tighten back up. I found 11 broken and melted wires on my Titan. Last, if you haven’t replaced your exhaust manifolds for cracks/breaks. If as bad as my second pair, the cracks could be so bad you aren’t getting enough back pressure from exhaust valves in order to start. That happened to me in June so I did header and cat back swap with tuning. Well it’s one of these issues (that Nissan is aware of) that plagues the first gen titans, or a combination of them. Good luck!!! I hope you get it remedied quick this weekend. I’m around and will check back if you have any questions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just going to say this once, your no start problem is not anything else, not injectors, starter, crank position sensor, fuel pump or ignition switch. You problem is an electrical connection. Go through old posts, this is the most common issue for 1st gen Titans. I have a claim against Nissan. Dealership in Az finally admitted it. I replace entire engine, every sensor, even rewired the entire truck…. It’s not transmission speed sensor or any of that crap. After all I did, I missed the ground under the windshield washer bottle… ready to throw in the towel… paid the dealership $100 for him to clean and secure that ground. No issues since. I check and repair wires often on these Nissan trucks. Believe me, if you are doing all the other garbage, you are just wasting time and money… said my peace
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Automotive fuel system Black

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Hood Gas

White Light Black Line Red

Electrical wiring Wire Art Circuit component Pattern

Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Electrical wiring

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Circuit component Electronic component Electronic engineering Audio equipment Electrical wiring

Car Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Pollution Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire Auto part

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
It's not a Nissan wiring issue that mice built a nest in your truck under the intake, and snacked on your wiring. That's an issue with the truck not being maintained properly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's not a Nissan wiring issue that mice built a nest in your truck under the intake, and snacked on your wiring. That's an issue with the truck not being maintained properly.
That was when I bought it 3 1/2 years ago. The damage they did was chew the knock sensor wires. I maintain my vehicles. Watch who you talk to like that. It is a known wiring issue with every 2004-2019 Titan. I have seen it all, motor mounts, cracked manifolds, ipdm, ECM, rack and pinion. I have put about $10k into this truck in 3 years. Brought it to the dealership only twice to have them replace the electric fan under recall and after throwing up my hands with the ground issues. Check the technical service bulletins. But do what you guys want. I don’t have to help anyone. But dubyam, watch your mouth, have a bit of respect. Less you want someone to take it personal? Because a man’s truck is personal.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Again, let me be clear:

If the truck was allowed to sit and mice to nest and chew, it isn't a Nissan issue. It is an upkeep issue. This is fact.

Now, there is not some massive wiring issue with Titans, or there would be many posts on the forum about it. There are occasional posts, most of which have extenuating circumstances like your truck, and many of which are maintenance related.

One last thing - notice how I didn't say you caused this problem? Words have meanings, and I choose the ones I use on purpose. I said your truck wasn't properly maintained when mice were allowed to nest in it. That is, again, fact. That it was a prior owner is fine, but it is information you didn't initially give. Take it however you like, but the truck you now own spent significant time being poorly maintained. Buying a poorly maintained truck and blaming Nissan for the maintenance failure is illogical.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
As for you telling me to watch my mouth, get a life. You're awful tough behind your keyboard. You bought a beat up, neglected, poorly maintained truck. Nothing wrong with that. You're pi$$ING and moaning about how it's Nissan's fault. I was kind when I said it was illogical above. It's stupid and childish, just like your "watch your mouth" comment. I'll speak the truth here regardless of whether it hurts your delicate feelings or not. Learn to comprehend and tolerate the truth without being a crybaby.

I'm out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts