Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 nissan titan 4x
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to titans, and new to hauling travel trailers. Will be pulling mine soon with my three toddlers and wife in the truck with me. Please tell me what I need to know. I'm concerned about safety and knowing my possibilities. Going to be buying a used trailer out right. Still haven't chosen which.

Also I have the titan 4x

·
Premium Member
72,927 Posts
Not much info. Not too long, not too heavy.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Guessing and estimating is a terrible way to decide on a travel trailer. Since you're a Pro4X, you have the 3.36 gears and 9300lb max towing capacity. Now, understand your real towing capacity is going to be that number minus your passenger weight (any amount over 150lbs for people weight), minus any gear/food/other weight carried in the truck (includingthe weight of your hitch setup). You really want to be at most around 80% of that calculated max, as a safety margin.

Then you're going to want to know which weight thatv6500lbs is. Is it the gvwr for the trailer? Or the dry weight? Either way, you're going to want to know the real as-towed weight of the trailer set up how you'll tow it. And manufacturer's specs are just an estimate. Go to a certified scale and weigh the trailer before you buy it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Regardless of how big the trailer is, as dubyam said 80% is safe and the Titan will pull it well. If the trailer you mentioned is 6,500 dry weight you're probably going to be very close to or over safe weight once everything is on board. Batteries, water, canned goods, the liquid refreshments in the fridge add up pretty quickly for a family of 5. Consider that the first few trips you are going to carrying more than you probably need, so a lighter trailer will make for easier, safer towing.
As good at pulling as the Titan is, the rear springs are pretty soft so you want to get the truck as close to level as you can. Get a good weight distributing hitch and some instruction on how to actually make it work. That will make it more stable as the weight transfer forward will make steering closer to normal unloaded and not spooky, (are my front wheels on the ground?) feeling. Braking will also be much improved with more weight on the front tires.
We haul a 21' tandem axle, dry weight 4,200 +/- and I figure about 6,000 loaded with water, cargo and supplies. It's just the 2 of us, kayaks and firewood in the bed so we're well within the limits of the truck.
How you load the trailer can make a difference too. Depending on the location of the water tanks, try to even out the weight of cargo by loading it opposite the end that the tanks are located. Our tanks, kitchen (appliances are heavy too) hot water (another 60 lbs) are behind the axles so we put most of the stowables forward in the pass through and under or around the front bed.
Some will use air bags on the rear suspension, I chose the Timbren method which is a graduated density closed cell foam replacement for the bump stops. Easy to install and no air up/air down, worrying about bag failure to contend with.
Every towing setup is different. You'll need a few go arounds to figure it out. Be safe, don't overdrive the truck and trailer and enjoy the scenery. Happy camping!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts